Is my transcript going to get in the way of an acceptance?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aishtr1295

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I went to RPI (a strong science college) and graduated Summa Cum Laude (BS in Biology). The only issue is, my advisor saw that I failed to take some of the higher level bio classes that are optional.

Some classes I HAVE taken are:
  • Intro to bio
  • Cell biology
  • Molecular bio I and II
  • Biochemistry
  • Genetics & evolution
  • Human Physiology
  • Developmental Bio
  • Molecular bio lab
  • Microbiology

Some higher level classes that I didn't take are:
  • Neurobio
  • Cancer and development
  • Cell-to-cell comm

I didn't need to take as many bio classes because I had done so much undergraduate research that I was able to get some credit from that.

If not having taken some of these key upper level bio classes is what kept me out of med school, I'm willing to consider those post-bac programs to buff up my transcript but it's really expensive and I would rather spend my time doing something else. What do you think?

FYI, more info about me:
MCAT: P11 V9 B11
3 publications
RA for freshmen hall
TA for many bio classes
President of Korean Students Association on campus
Staff writer for school newspaper
Medical volunteer experience in Tanzania
Will go to South Korea and Pakistan to volunteer for a few months

Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

Give us more about your situation....

GPA? Any interviews or waitlists? What schools did you apply to? When were you complete? etc...

There is no way not taking those classes held you back. You only NEED to take gen bio anyways to fulfill your bio requirement. Also your research experiences show you know your science. So don't worry about a SMP at this point to make up for those classes just a waste of $$$

The only issue is, my advisor saw that I failed to take some of the higher level bio classes that are optional.

That has nothing to do with anything. No med school is going to care whether you finished the whole buffet of bio classes.

If your med school app season isn't going well, odds are:
1. you applied late (complete after September-ish)
2. you have red flags in your recommendations or elsewhere
3. you don't interview well

There's a ton of info here on what to do if any of the above are true.

Best of luck to you.