Medical Is My Driving Record Going to be a Problem for Medical School Applications?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlteredScale

Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I've been thinking about this alot and I hope it's not as bad as I think it is. Basically, on Halloween I got pulled over for stopping over the line at an intersection, but then arrested for DUI (I know, really stupid, never happening again I have learned my lesson). They ended up giving me a citation for obstructing traffic, which was the stopping over the line, and a citation for DUI. Fortunately, I only had a 0.02 BAC and because of this my lawyer told me that the city prosecutor was not planning on filing any DUI charges, so he said I could get the arrest expunged in November. They still proceeded with the obstructing traffic violation, and since I did it and it was clear on the police's video my lawyer pleaded no contest for me and I paid a reduced fine. However since I am 20 years old the DMV suspended my license for 3 months because of violating implied consent, as I had alcohol in my system and as a minor that's a nono for them (if only I was 21 damn then I would have to be over 0.08 instead of 0.00). I live in Oregon, so I don't think my driving record can be expunged.
My question is: will this incident come up in applications, and if it will how do you think it will affect my chances? I have not been convicted or even charged of a crime, nor will be, and my record was clean before this except for a single parking ticket back in March. However, the obstructing traffic violation and implied consent violation resulting in the 3 month suspension will be on my driving record. If it helps, I plan on taking one or two gap years so by the time I apply it will have been at least a year and a half since, by which time the arrest would be expunged and there would be somewhat of a time buffer. Basically, is this something I should be worried about? I will disclose anything and be completely truthful, I just don't want to volunteer anything I'm not supposed to and make myself look bad for no reason. Thank you for any information, have a great day!
To be honest, an underaged DUI is pretty bad, and I think it will most definitely impact your application.

Taking 2 gaps years to repair (meaning no more tickets, not a single one) may perhaps be enough to hopefully clear the air but adcoms are going to wonder if this behavior is truly done, because repeating the act in medical school or residency will not only look bad on you (in the way of being kicked out or getting your license suspended) but also on the institution. Because there are so many good premed applicants without marks on their record, most schools will continue to be risk averse and not take a chance. But the best thing you can do is take a few years before applying, grow, show that you’ve learned and are a different person, then apply.

Members don't see this ad.

Most likely will impact chances...not sure exactly how much as it depends on all the details you are sorting out right now.

Yes, you should take a gap year to put time between this and applications.

The only thing you can do now is be a perfect angel, show you are a good person through volunteer, and have a solid application with solid LOR explaining you are a good person.

If it's just the license suspension for being under 21 is it the same in adcoms' eyes as an actual DUI? I don't have a DUI, so does this change anything? Thank you for the honest reply.
I’m confused since you said you were arrested for dui In your original post?

Members don't see this ad :)
It's also going to be a problem for both the background check and definitely when you go for the OR license. OR treats the alcohol offense differently, especially in Multnomah County for underaged intoxication even if not prosecuted. You'll probably need a consult from a professional services lawyer in Salem on the matter with the exact circumstances.

Status
Not open for further replies.