Is my DAT score high enough for top schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hello, all!

Just a quick question that I always find myself pondering: are my DAT scores good enough to get into a competitive dental school?

I plan on applying next cycle, so I’m kinda down to the wire. Here are my numbers:

GPA (science and non-science are roughly the same): 3.8-3.9

DAT Scores:

AA: 21

TS: 21

BIO: 20

CHEM: 22

OCHEM: 23

RC: 20

QR: 18

PAT: 22

I also have a very strong CV (volunteer work as a dental assistant, tutoring underprivileged elementary schoolers in my area, lots of work experience,shadowing (100+ hrs), dental research (my own project I received a grant for), lots of leadership at my university).

My academic advisor said I’m in really good shape, the only disadvantage I have is not being a minority, and I go to a private school in CA, and I wanna stay here, but I’m OOS. I also have my essays written and they are strong, according to my advisor. Additionally, I have strong LORs from various profs.

I’m aiming to get into UCSF (they actually don’t care if you’re OOS). That’s my dream school. I’m also applying to UCLA, USC, and Western (Pomona, CA).

My concern for UCSF is that my DAT is in the bottom of the average, and it might be the deal breaker.

Thank you, and I appreciate any/all insights!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello, all!

Just a quick question that I always find myself pondering: are my DAT scores good enough to get into a competitive dental school?

I plan on applying next cycle, so I’m kinda down to the wire. Here are my numbers:

DAT Scores:

I also have a very strong CV (volunteer work as a dental assistant, tutoring underprivileged elementary schoolers in my area, lots of work experience,shadowing (100+ hrs), dental research (my own project I received a grant for), lots of leadership at my university).

My academic advisor said I’m in really good shape, the only disadvantage I have is not being a minority, and I go to a private school in CA, and I wanna stay here, but I’m OOS. I also have my essays written and they are strong, according to my advisor. Additionally, I have strong LORs from various profs.

I’m aiming to get into UCSF (they actually don’t care if you’re OOS). That’s my dream school. I’m also applying to UCLA, USC, and Western (Pomona, CA).

My concern for UCSF is that my DAT is in the bottom of the average, and it might be the deal breaker.

You're in solid shape, dude. You have a really good GPA, and a 21 AA is not a bad score (somewhere in the 85-87 percentile I believe). You're definitely in UCSF's range, and averages are just that. There are people who have higher and lower DAT's that get accepted. Just apply early this next upcoming cycle.

Also, if you're attending school in CA, doesn't that give you residency, given that you've been attending there for ~2-3 years?

Reactions: 1 user
You're in solid shape, dude. You have a really good GPA, and a 21 AA is not a bad score (somewhere in the 85-87 percentile I believe). You're definitely in UCSF's range, and averages are just that. There are people who have higher and lower DAT's that get accepted. Just apply early this next upcoming cycle.

Also, if you're attending school in CA, doesn't that give you residency, given that you've been attending there for ~2-3 years?
Thank you! I qualify for residency but due to insurance purposes, I have to remain residency in MI (native state). I’m not super concerned about residency with respect to UCSF, but it definitely hurts me at UCLA because they have an OOS quota.

Don't worry about stats with UCSF if you got above a 20. Worry about your personal statement, EC, and their supplemental questions. They reject a lot of 24+ if you haven't noticed in the forums so they have a specific candidate they look for

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello, all!

DAT Scores:

I am like you, except I am a California resident. I had a higher DAT, but a lower GPA than you. I also had a similar CV to yours. It's safe to say we are very similar students. Try to emphasize your community outreach in your personal statement. Then re-state it in the secondaries. Don't be surprised if you get an interview. Convey your humility and mission to give greater access to those in need of it. This is where you really need to shine though!

Hello, all!

DAT Scores:

Many people with way higher scores than you get rejected. It goes beyond numbers at UCSF. They like to have a "diverse" student population.