Is my clinical experience enough?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ultimakey

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, it’s just a really ****ty situation because it feels like it’s low hours in a short period of time.

Basically, I have ~ 120 hours of virtually scribing with one company and ~180 hours of in-person scribing with another company. Besides these hours, I [will] have ~120 hours of volunteer in a hospital.

I was wondering if this clinical experience is enough, and whether I should even include the scribing. For reference, this was over a 6 month span but the in-person was around 2 months or so. I quit a few weeks ago for personal reasons. The volunteering is over a 4 month span.

Members don't see this ad.

If I remember right, you were asking about your hours before. I would list all your experiences. If you have lower or shaky stats, you will be given less leeway. The Peace Crops opportunity is a big plus but make sure you have a convincing answer to why medicine based on your current experience.

Reactions: 1 users
If I remember right, you were asking about your hours before. I would list all your experiences. If you have lower or shaky stats, you will be given less leeway. The Peace Crops opportunity is a big plus but make sure you have a convincing answer to why medicine based on your current experience.
Thanks for the info. I’m just starting to feel immense regret after quitting and it’s eating away at me while I’m trying to study.

Members don't see this ad :)
Can you do something clinical in a clinical setting now either on a volunteer or paid basis?

It sounds to me "enough," but they may wonder why you stopped and haven't found something else if this is what you want to dedicate your life to.

Also, it's not just the number of hours. It's the meaning, lessons learned, and insights you derived from the experiences.

Finally, while we're focus in this thread on clinical, as I'm sure you know clinical isn't the only thing med schools look for.

Reactions: 1 user
Can you do something clinical in a clinical setting now either on a volunteer or paid basis?

It sounds to me "enough," but they may wonder why you stopped and haven't found something else if this is what you want to dedicate your life to.

Also, it's not just the number of hours. It's the meaning, lessons learned, and insights you derived from the experiences.

Finally, while we're focus in this thread on clinical, as I'm sure you know clinical isn't the only thing med schools look for.
Hi, thanks for your reply!

I understand that clinical experience isn’t the only metric medical schools look for, but I thought that it would be the most relevant for me at this time because I only recently decided to *actually* become premed (about a year ago). I have hundreds of hours of non-clinical volunteering, but I have a weaker GPA, so I’m trying to micromanage every part of the remainder of my application.

Regarding volunteering clinically, I’m planning on continuing until my departure date.

Reactions: 1 user
Actually if you have a lower GPA, your MCAT is probably as important. Good luck with the studying!