Is my advisor wacko?

MaryZi

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
okey so im going to be a freshman in college this year and well my advisor told me to take general biology for majors...but on the requirment sheet i got it says biology and lab:confused::confused: so im very confused. do you have any ideas what i should do? I might go back and talk to the advisor again...but yah...

Im also taking:
Collage algebra(in summer so i can take chem I/lab in the fall)
chemI /lab....
English comp
and Japanese

Members don't see this ad.

lab courses are separate courses that generally go along with the course material in teh lecture course. you would sign up for both general bio and the associated lab.

okey so im going to be a freshman in college this year and well my advisor told me to take general biology for majors...but on the requirment sheet i got it says biology and lab:confused::confused: so im very confused. do you have any ideas what i should do? I might go back and talk to the advisor again...but yah...

Im also taking:
Collage algebra(in summer so i can take chem I/lab in the fall)
chemI /lab....
English comp
and Japanese

does general bio for majors not have a lab component? I'm not sure I see the problem?

Members don't see this ad :)
Some schools combine the lab with the class. As in you sign up for bio 110 and the lab is part of that. Other schools have the lab seperatly. Ask your advisor (or a student in a class above you about it) about the lab component.

As mentioned sometimes it's lecture with a separate lab, others its a combined lecture/lab. The important thing is to look at a couple of the schools you plan to apply/transfer to and see which course they require. Typically it'll be science for specified science major (bio for bio majors, chem for chem majors, etc) It sounds like your advisor is right, but you may wish to ask for clarification for your own peace of mind.

I asked again and the lab is included in the class ...and I also found out i dont need to take college algebra because i took 2 algebra classes in highschool so now Im doing history in the summer and I still can take chem in the fall :D