Is licensure in other states possible if you do NY licensure by residency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nir1009

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just a thought: If you do a licensure by residency in the state of NY by doing a gpr/aegd (NOT taking the NERB or any clinical exam).....

are you limited to practicing in the state of NY for the rest of your life or will licensure by credentials still apply if attempting to get a license in another state (such as NJ, PA, etc) after I believe 5yrs or so even though you have not completed any clinical exam. Any input will be appreciated. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

licensing by credentials (according to most states; check their individual websites) requires you to have passed a licensing exam. However, there are other states you can go to by completing the residency (california, minnesota, conneticut, and maybe others) that will give you licensure by residency. Your best bet is to take any licensure examination; it will give you many more options later on in life.

Members don't see this ad :)
"licensing by credentials (according to most states; check their individual websites) requires you to have passed a licensing exam."

From what I have read most states require you to have practiced for a certain amount of time, not necessarily focusing on taking an exam. I know for a fact of one person who completed an OMFS residency, applied for and kept a NY license for 5 years, then obtained a KY license by credentials.

Most states allow licensure by credential, usually if you have practiced for 5 years. It is state specific, so you have to check with each state's dental board. Some states have more restrictions than others, or additional criteria.

http://www.ada.org/prof/prac/licensure/information.asp#credentials

yes, but in order to qualify for that licensure by credentials, there are certain requirements you have to meet, one being that you must have passed A clinical licensure examination. It may differ from state to state, but i know for a fact that georgia requires you to have passed a licensure exam, and not have been licensed by residency. OP: check with the individual state boards that you have a desire to practice in