Is it worth it to apply this cycle?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dreabug

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
So while I was conflicted about whether or not to apply this cycle, one of my mentors has convinced me to apply. The problem is, I don't know how much this will hurt my cycle chances. I submitted my primary app on July 12th, and my transcript, LOR, MCAT are all good to go. However, I'm worried that by the time my app is verified (who knows how long this will take -.-) and I finish/send out secondaries, I'll get instant rejections because I wasn't part of the earlier batches of applicants. I'm scared that I'll be wasting all my money and time on this cycle for futile results. My gpa is 3.83, sgpa 3.7+, MCAT 515, but I only have 8 AMCAS activities (although I do have enough clinical experience/shadow/etc.) and I'm an ORM. Should I just give it my all this cycle? I don't even care to get into top schools I just one at least 1 MD acceptance and would happily attend my state school (MI). I'm planning on applying to 30+ low tier/middle tier schools.

Any advice is much appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

I read somewhere it isn't considered too late if they get it by labor day. Not sure where I saw that.

I read somewhere it isn't considered too late if they get it by labor day. Not sure where I saw that.

Ok hopefully I can get all the secondaries done before that! Apps are so stressful :/

Members don't see this ad :)
Ok hopefully I can get all the secondaries done before that! Apps are so stressful :/

Don't take my word for it, I'm sure someone more informed can answer. That being said with COVID I bet the whole cycle is pushed back and they are a lot more understanding. I wouldn't sweat it!

Don't take my word for it, I'm sure someone more informed can answer. That being said with COVID I bet the whole cycle is pushed back and they are a lot more understanding. I wouldn't sweat it!

I really hope that is the case with COVID. And thanks for your input!

So while I was conflicted about whether or not to apply this cycle, one of my mentors has convinced me to apply. The problem is, I don't know how much this will hurt my cycle chances. I submitted my primary app on July 12th, and my transcript, LOR, MCAT are all good to go. However, I'm worried that by the time my app is verified (who knows how long this will take -.-) and I finish/send out secondaries, I'll get instant rejections because I wasn't part of the earlier batches of applicants. I'm scared that I'll be wasting all my money and time on this cycle for futile results. My gpa is 3.83, sgpa 3.7+, MCAT 515, but I only have 8 AMCAS activities (although I do have enough clinical experience/shadow/etc.) and I'm an ORM. Should I just give it my all this cycle? I don't even care to get into top schools I just one at least 1 MD acceptance and would happily attend my state school (MI). I'm planning on applying to 30+ low tier/middle tier schools.

You should be fine, but it's a little difficult to tell based on what you posted.

When you say that your transcript is good to go, what does this mean? If you have been in the verification queue since 7/12, you'll be fine. People whose transcripts were marked received at the end of June are being verified now, so you would probably be 3-4 weeks from verification, and you'll be able to be complete shortly before or shortly after Labor Day.

If you haven't submitted your transcript yet, that's a different story, since you might not be verified until late September, which will be pushing it, although it might still be okay. Your stats are decent, but not outstanding for an ORM, so not being complete until end of September/mid October will not be ideal for you, even this year, depending on where you are applying (excellent candidates for a particular school have some more leeway in application timing than borderline candidates).

So, which is it? Has your transcript already been submitted and received?

Last edited:

APPLY!!!!!!!

It's a vile pre-med delusion that if you don't apply by 6/2, you're late.

You're not late! In a normal cycle, getting verified by Labor Day would be fine. In the age of COVID, add a month to that.

Reactions: 2 users
Target these schools:

UCSD
U MI and all other MI schools
USF Morsani (maybe)
UCSF
U IA
U ILL
U MA
Mt Sinai
U VA
Mayo (maybe)
Case (maybe)
NYU-LI
USC/Keck
Dartmouth
BU
Pitt
U WI
U Cincy
U CO
U VM
OH State
UCF
Miami
St. Louis
Albany
Albert Einstein
Rochester
Rush
Rosy Franklin
NYMC
EVMS
Wake Forest
Jefferson
Creighton
Tulane
Seton Hall
MCW
Loyola
Emory
Hofstra
Tufts
Uniformed Services University/Hebert (just be aware of the military service commitment)

APPLY!!!!!!!

You're not late! In a normal cycle, getting verified by Labor Day would be fine. In the age of COVID, add a month to that.
This is very comforting advice. Are there any schools, possibly including yours, that have publicly announced that any aspect of the admissions timeline, from initial review of applications marked complete, first IIs, first decisions, last review of applications marked complete, last IIs, or last decisions are being pushed back by a month, either due to COVID or for any other reason this cycle? If not, what is the basis for adding a month to anything?

You should be fine, but it's a little difficult to tell based on what you posted.

When you say that your transcript is good to go, what does this mean? If you have been in the verification queue since 7/12, you'll be fine. People whose transcripts were marked received at the end of June are being verified now, so you would probably be 3-4 weeks from verification, and you'll be able to be complete shortly before or shortly after Labor Day.

If you haven't submitted your transcript yet, that's a different story, since you might not be verified until late September, which will be pushing it, although it might still be okay. Your stats are decent, but not outstanding for an ORM, so not being complete until end of September/mid October will not be ideal for you, even this year, depending on where you are applying (excellent candidates for a particular school have some more leeway in application timing than borderline candidates).

So, which is it? Has your transcript already been submitted and received?

My transcript has been recieved for a while!

Reactions: 1 user
APPLY!!!!!!!

Thanks so much! You have eased some of my worries and boosted my motivation to get those secondaries completed. Also I will def compare that school list with my current one to add/delete schools

Reactions: 1 users