Is it really possible to do IM and Peds?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UrFutureDr

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just found this forum and only recently found out about med-peds. I loved medicine and I loved pediatrics. I was planning on Family Med but it isn't the same intellectually. Recently a classmate told me about med-peds and it sounds just like what I want. I am worried that it may be too much. Is it really possible to train in and keep up in two specialties without losing your mind? I am hoping to get married and start a family soon and don't want to have my face buried in books all the time.

Members don't see this ad.

Definitely. Lots of people do it. Probably close to 5,000 to 6,000 practicing med-peds docs. If you find it is too much you can cut out part of your practice and just focus on inpatient or outpatient. I started out doing everything: adults, kids, neonates, outpatient, inpatient, ICU, PICU, NICU. Over the years I cut out most of the unit stuff. There may come a time when I decide to focus it some more but I like doing all that I am doing and cutting out the units has made my schedule just the way I like it.