Is it proper to contact a program before they contact me?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Farrakh

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all..

My question is kinda complicated:

I found out through the document tracking service by ERAS that the program I am REALLY interested in (a fairly competitive one in NJ) uploaded my info a few days ago, then uploaded more info one day ago, and today loaded my picture and transcripts. My problem is that I failed Step 2 and I plan on taking it again in early November and I passed Step 1 with an 82/200 on the first attempt. Should I contact the program if I don't hear anything from them in about 2 weeks or so - or should I just wait for them to contact me, if they ever do?

The reason for contacting them would be to let them know how much I'm interested in their program, etc.

What do u guys think? :confused:

Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

Did you request that your Step 2 scores automatically be sent to all the programs when you applied? If so, I would go ahead and contact them, letting them know you are retaking the test. However, since it is still mid-to-late September and most programs don't start interviewing until November, I wouldn't necessarily expect to hear from them in 2 weeks (ie, it will probably take them longer).

However, if you did not automatically request that USMLE updates be sent out (last year we had the option) they will not necessarily know you failed Step 2 and you can probably get by without telling them until you've retaken it and passed the darn thing.

best of luck...

Thanks Kimberli,

You're always ready with an insightful answer.. thanx again..

Farrakh