Is it possible?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BeautifullyMade

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I will be starting at ACP this fall and am wondering. Is it possible to get textbooks ahead of time? Has anyone done this before? Or do you have to wait till school starts to get the texts?

'Preciate any input.

Members don't see this ad.

i think the bookstore has links on their webpage where you can order textbooks.
i'm not sure why you'd want to....never opened a book when i was there!:laugh:

i think the bookstore has links on their webpage where you can order textbooks.
i'm not sure why you'd want to....never opened a book when i was there!:laugh:

Are you given study packets or something?

How does it work?

Members don't see this ad :)
power point handouts....take notes....scam notes from a smarter friend....

I bought all the recommended books my first semester..... i may have opened one of them....
go to class, take notes, read the handouts, you'll do fine.
I'm almost finished with my second year and the only book I've bought since is Dipiro's. Now I hear it's soon to be outdated :rolleyes:.... so I may or may not buy the new version...
Oh yeah, I've made A's and B's doing that.

Yeah, pharmacy school is not nearly as textbook centered as undergrad was. I tend to use my notes almost exclusively and will pull out a reference book if I need clarification on something. I'd say most of my textbook purchases in pharmacy school have been kind of a waste. I use Dipiro on occasion and I refer to a Micromedex or Clinical Pharmacology for drug information.

wow, imagine that. This is really good to know. Thanks a bunch. :)

get the dipiro handbook.
smaller, more condensed, easy to carry reference

get the dipiro handbook.
smaller, more condensed, easy to carry reference

I agree! Great "little" book.

For pharmacology, I really liked the Lippincott's Pharmacology book! It sure did simplify things.:thumbup:

I could almost get by without any textbooks, but since I stated pharmacy school I really like them. I even started collecting some older editions of Remingtons...I know, I more nerdy as the days pass. During undergrad I sold my books the second I finished with finals, but now my best study sessions are where I have one or two reference books to look at along with the power point slides. Memorizing everything on the powerpoint slides may be all you need for a good grade, but doesn't mean you'll totally grasp the concepts. That's where a good reference text can come in handy. I'd suggest waiting till school starts and find out what the professors refer to the most, then look through the library to see which ones you like and go from there. A couple books that are staples for us are Katzung (pharmacology) and Dipiro.

I will be starting at ACP this fall and am wondering. Is it possible to get textbooks ahead of time? Has anyone done this before? Or do you have to wait till school starts to get the texts?

'Preciate any input.

Grats on ACP. There's a website which lists all the books you need for your grade level. Check it out maybe two weeks before school starts. I always buy my textbooks via other sources than the school (an upper level student, online, etc). I do have to say, the textbooks are just resources, I rarely open them up other than for homework and for subject clarifications.

www.acp.bkstr.com

Yeah, pharmacy school is not nearly as textbook centered as undergrad was. I tend to use my notes almost exclusively and will pull out a reference book if I need clarification on something. I'd say most of my textbook purchases in pharmacy school have been kind of a waste. I use Dipiro on occasion and I refer to a Micromedex or Clinical Pharmacology for drug information.

I agree. Dipiro is the biggest paper weight in a rather nice collection. I didn't open it more than once the first year I owned it, and that was only because I wanted the CD out of it.