Is it possible to transition to college level science classes if..

D

deleted421268

Is it possible to transition well to college level science classes without ever taking an AP in any science during high school??? Say the highest level science you have taken in HS is honors. How hard is it to transition to college level science/classes from HS?

Members don't see this ad.

If you try, and don't slack off, you should be good.

Well its definitely possible. Of course people who have taken AP classes might have an easier time but it really shouldn't be much of a difference.

Members don't see this ad :)
Whether or not you will transition adequately from high school to college academics depends mainly on the difficulty of your high school courses and how you approached them. You do not necessarily have to take AP courses, though I have heard that they do help, just to get a feel for college-level work; however, just hanging out and aceing easy tests in basic high school classes will not help you either. For example, I am a high school senior who has had a mixture of AP, actual college classes, and general education classes who worked very hard in his AP courses and learned a ton of knowledge. In contrast, I also took an average leveled chemistry course, which, at my high school, was where they put all the seniors that were at the highest risk of dropping out or were just going to get a diploma by the skin of their teeth (my high school has a very bad reputation for watering down courses just so students can pass); most of my classmates were very rude to our teacher, did not participate, etc... so the class was very basic and only covered up to thermodynamics. I gained very little insight on chemistry from that class because it was made to be easy and teach students how to pass a final exam and still keep a "D" ( I received an A mainly because I actually turned in work and the other tests were extremely easy), it was not constructed to instill the fundamentals of chemistry so that the student could pursue more indepth studies or understand basic topics in chemistry. I am currently reading a college level textbook on general chemistry in order to prepare myself for college so, if you have similiar classes make sure you are doing enough outside work to reinforce your understanding of those subjects; there are alot of good cheap workbooks out there that can help you drill concepts into your memory.

Last edited:
You do not need AP sciences classes in high school to excel in college. The only thing you need is a good work ethic.

If you take the introductory science course for a subject which you've taken at most honors level for in high school, you should be fine. A jump from Honors Chemistry to Introductory Chemistry in college won't be too bad if you work at it. But a jump from Honors Chemistry to Orgo or Biochem is hard because you just won't be used to the higher level there but with time, it'll be easier if you can learn teh content well.

It's def. possible, but don't fall back like I did my first semester.

It's def. possible, but don't fall back like I did my first semester.

Agreed, and same for me.

OP, my school offered 0 AP science courses, but either way, AP classes are much different than college science classes. I came from basic high school chem, phys, etc., and I got A's in all my intro courses this past semester. It's all about putting the time in to study, and TIME MANAGEMENT, very big one. Gone are the days of not studying and getting 90's on HS exams. I trust you will be fine.