Is it possible to not receive Air Force AEGD?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DynamicDental

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
As the title says, I am curious if it is possible to not receive a one year AEGD with the Air Force. It is my understanding that the Air Force had the most AEGD spots out of all of the branches, but is it possible that not everyone receives one? Whether it be for full capacity or even grades? I would really like to complete one, but am wondering if there is anything that could possibly prevent me from receiving the opportunity.

Members don't see this ad.

AF is now requiring an AEGD-1 for all graduates. Whether you want to attend one or not it is mandatory. I truly benefited from my AEGD, most people did, but it will depend on your AEGD director and more importantly what your staffing docs allow you to do. Go in with a positive attitude because you get out what you put in.

AF is now requiring an AEGD-1 for all graduates. Whether you want to attend one or not it is mandatory. I truly benefited from my AEGD, most people did, but it will depend on your AEGD director and more importantly what your staffing docs allow you to do. Go in with a positive attitude because you get out what you put in.
I knew it was required to apply and accept (if awarded) , but if it is essentially required and that everyone has to do one, then I guess that works out in my favor. Thank you !

Members don't see this ad :)
The only thing that would limit you being able to do one is if they had more dentist's than slots available coming in. That said, because they require it, and because they are opening more slots, you shouldn't have an issue. (The CO of the dental corps came to my school and said this year they even have a surplus of AEGD-1 slots, so they are even opening positions for civ dentist's to come in after the AF personnel fill their slots).

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Reactions: 1 user
You see, the AF has this thing all figured out. By offering predominantly 3-year HPSP scholarships and then requiring a neutral year AEGD/GPR, they only have to pay for 3 years of school but still get a 4-year payback out of you. My credentialing tour in the Navy was not much different at all from the AEGD sponsored by my Command. I just didn’t get a “fancy” certificate at the end and I can get out a year sooner.

Big Hoss

Reactions: 2 users
You see, the AF has this thing all figured out. By offering predominantly 3-year HPSP scholarships and then requiring a neutral year AEGD/GPR, they only have to pay for 3 years of school but still get a 4-year payback out of you. My credentialing tour in the Navy was not much different at all from the AEGD sponsored by my Command. I just didn’t get a “fancy” certificate at the end and I can get out a year sooner.

Big Hoss
And that is a big reason why I didn't even apply with the AF. I hated the idea of a forced extra year.

Yes, it is possible to not get an AEGD spot. However, depending on the year you are applying for the AEGD, the chances are next to zero. I spoke with the commander of AFPC this year (office that coordinates AEGD application process), as I am applying for the AEGD right now. He said there are 75 AEGD spots, but only 73 dental students graduating this year on the scholarship. If maybe 10 students apply to other specialties such as oral surgery, perio, etc., then only 63 students remain for 75 spots. So, at least this year, everyone will probably get a spot, unless someone really screws something up. The commander did say that it is there intention for everyone to receive a spot, and since the numbers support this effort, I don't see why anyone wouldn't get a spot. This could be a different story altogether next year or the year after that, depending on how many students are graduating.

Reactions: 1 user
Yes, it is possible to not get an AEGD spot. However, depending on the year you are applying for the AEGD, the chances are next to zero. I spoke with the commander of AFPC this year (office that coordinates AEGD application process), as I am applying for the AEGD right now. He said there are 75 AEGD spots, but only 73 dental students graduating this year on the scholarship. If maybe 10 students apply to other specialties such as oral surgery, perio, etc., then only 63 students remain for 75 spots. So, at least this year, everyone will probably get a spot, unless someone really screws something up. The commander did say that it is there intention for everyone to receive a spot, and since the numbers support this effort, I don't see why anyone wouldn't get a spot. This could be a different story altogether next year or the year after that, depending on how many students are graduating.

Hey Lanzo,

AF here as well. Definitely want to do an AEGD. Did they mention how many residents there will be per AEGD/what the teaching faculty:resident ratio is like?

Where can I get more info on the AEGD?

Hey Lanzo,

AF here as well. Definitely want to do an AEGD. Did they mention how many residents there will be per AEGD/what the teaching faculty:resident ratio is like?

Where can I get more info on the AEGD?

The number of residents at each AEGD-1 program is: Andrews (9), Barksdale (6), Eglin (8), Langley (8), Nellis (8), Offutt (8), Scott (6), Travis (8), USAFA (6), and Wright-Patterson (8). (Note: The numbers can vary slightly from year to year.)

There are at least a couple teaching faculty at each program.

As far as info on the AEGD, there isn't a ton of resources out there with up to date info, so if you have any specific questions, feel free to ask me.

Reactions: 1 users