Is it possible to leave a clinical fellowship after 1 year to do research fellowship and then redo or get back to the clinical training?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nccnash

Reaction score
I am a PGY-1 Hem/onc fellow. After I started my training I feel strongly that I want to do a research fellowship before proceeding with the rest of the clinical training and after that would be either return back to same program or more logically enter the match again. The program I am training in currently is not the kind of program that would provide heavy research experience or even the time for that. Does anyone have experience with that and whether it's doable or not?

Members don't see this ad.

The biggest question would be your career planning.

Do you want to be a physician-scientist in clinical research vs physician-scientist in lab research vs a clinician educator vs private practice?

If you want to be a physician-scientist in lab research, you will ideally need extensive prior lab research experience (ideally a PhD). An one-year research fellowship + three-year clinical fellowship may be difficult but not impossible, depending on your mentor support and project.

If you want to be a physician-scientist in clinical research, one-year research fellowship + three-year clinical fellowship make more sense but mentor support would be very important regarding your career. By saying physician-scientist, you need to spend 80% time doing research and applying for grant to support your salary and research. This is a highly competitive field, with very few standing out overall. And you will make significantly less money at least for many years or more.

Since you have already matched to a hem-onc fellowship, it is probably highly unlikely that you will go un-matched after doing one additional year of research fellowship (assuming you don't need visa sponsorship, which can always be a mess). But whether you will be able to stay in the same program of your research fellowship will depend heavily on the mentor. Things will be better if you have very good connections.

Another downside of your plan would be that a research fellowship will be paid much less than a hem-onc attending, so you will loss one-year of good income

gonna put it out there, we don't need more ****ty retrospective studies. 95% your research will be ****ty retrospective studies angling to hook the big one.

if 75% of all researchers disappeared tomorrow, medicine would be better off, not worse.