Is it possible to get pregnant and start a family during intern year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ophthalmology2016

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
For all the female ophthalmologists out there. Is a pregnancy possible during intern year? I have been told that 1st and 3rd year Ophtho are not ideal times to get pregnant. I am guessing intern year is a bad idea as well, but just looking for opinions and advice.
Yes. PM me.

Reactions: 1 users
My colleagues have gotten pregnant and given birth all throughout their training from intern year to third year of ophthalmology residency. With the support of your family, program and co-residents, anything is possible.

Members don't see this ad :)
Full disclosure, I am not a female.
We had children during training (my wife is not a doctor and was able to stay home with kids)
If you're able, I would HIGHLY recommend doing residency near family (parents or in-laws). We did not, and life would have been so much easier if we had stayed closer to home.
That said, residents start and grow their families all the time during training and they survive. We survived early parenthood and residency, but it was a struggle.
Having children is very challenging for any professional, even more challenging for resident physicians, and even more challenging for female resident physicians. Don't let that scare you from starting your family. Do your best to set yourself up for being supported during this very demanding time, though!

Yes, it is possible. It is hard, and you need supportive family / friends / coresidents. It does mean that you miss out on a lot of time with your kid, though. For the first 9 months of his life, my son spent more awake time with our nanny then with me or my husband (both residents). That was a hard pill to swallow for me.

Reactions: 1 user