Is it possible for me to get a top PM & R residency with my scores?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
S

ScutMonkey007

I got a 224/91 on Step I, I have a 3.9 GPA (Top 2% of my class), just wondering if I can get a top PM & R program? I'm also a DO...and there is only 1 DO PM & R programs. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Those are good numbers - GPA is great, board scores could be higher but it's not bad. it really doesn't matter if you're a DO. I wouldn't even take that into consideration.

That being said, I can't predict how you will do since there are MANY more factors to consider - LORs, research experience, how your CV looks, your personal statement, dean's letter, and finally, your interview skills/personality.

PM&R is and has always been about more than your gpa and board scores. Every year, ppl ask about specific numbers, etc. but really, there's no magic formula. A PD told me she was interviewing an applicant from Harvard med with almost a perfect GPA and the highest board scores she had ever seen. He looked PERFECT on paper. Then he opened his big mouth and told her he refused to work with FMGs and DOs. She didn't rank him.

You have to be able to work with therapists, nurses, care coordinators, patient's families, etc.

Members don't see this ad :)
"PM&R is and has always been about more than your gpa and board scores."
:rolleyes:

No doubt. *!*, m.d. is a poster boy for this statement. It was widely reported in the national media that he was a mediocre medical student at Georgetown. Excellent example of RIC quality! I'm sure that having a U.S. Senator for an uncle didn't hurt.

Hi, just started 3rd year and very interested in PM & R - you guys are doing a great job promoting it :)

boards and class status not so great - USMLE step 213, probably middle of class.

Would really like to go back to NYC for residency. any suggestions on how to strengthen the application?

Also any suggestion on prelim/TY choices and PM & R programs with a so-so board score?

Many Thanks!

Ahh, unfortunately my board scores are average and my grades are not at the "top of the class", but I am hoping that the many other facets of my application will help in attaining interviews and from there, I can only be honest about my personality and goals and hope I find a program that is the right match for me. (and that they believe it too!)

research, personal statement, letters of recommendations, scoring away rotations at your top choices... all things you can do to change your application for the better.

Nikiforos, I just figured out what you were talking about - didn't even know he went to RIC - although that was more than 10 years ago... Don't think PM&R was as competitive back then although I agree, the family name does help. Life's never fair.

What are the "usual" numbers for programs like RIC, Kessler, Spaulding, Mayo, etc? Basically, the tier 1 places.
Thanks!