Is it okay to take Math at Community College?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KingFutureMD

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm new to SDN so please excuse any flaws in my posts to the thread! Okay, so, I'm a freshman who will be taking BIO 1, Chem 1 (Including the labs) among other classes for entrance into my major Public Health. I'm wondering if I can take English and Math Courses like STAT and CALC at my local community college over the summer due to the fact my schedule moving forward will be tight due to my major requirements + premed. I know many advise against taking bio, Gen chem, Orgo, and physics at CC so I will take those during the academic year at my State University. Insight from others would be extremely helpful so be sure to leave advice especially if you took these courses at CC and applied to MS!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm new to SDN so please excuse any flaws in my posts to the thread! Okay, so, I'm a freshman who will be taking BIO 1, Chem 1 (Including the labs) among other classes for entrance into my major Public Health. I'm wondering if I can take English and Math Courses like STAT and CALC at my local community college over the summer due to the fact my schedule moving forward will be tight due to my major requirements + premed. I know many advise against taking bio, Gen chem, Orgo, and physics at CC so I will take those during the academic year at my State University. Insight from others would be extremely helpful so be sure to leave advice especially if you took these courses at CC and applied to MS!

I took orgo 2 and physics 2 at CCs and have been having a good cycle; hasn't come up at any interviews. You'd be totally fine taking the courses you described at a CC; almost all med schools accept CC classes. It would only be detrimental if it appeared you were taking all of the notoriously hard pre reqs at CCs rather than your flagship UG. You're clearly not doing that, so you'll be fine OP!

Reactions: 1 users
I took orgo 2 and physics 2 at CCs and have been having a good cycle; hasn't come up at any interviews. You'd be totally fine taking the courses you described at a CC; almost all med schools accept CC classes. It would only be detrimental if it appeared you were taking all of the notoriously hard pre reqs at CCs rather than your flagship UG. You're clearly not doing that, so you'll be fine OP!
I have thought about maybe taking Gen 2 over the summer to catch up but I will decide based on next semesters run. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad :)
No. It's strongly recommended that you don't take English/BCPM courses at a community college. The rigor required to obtain the same grade at a community college is significantly less than that of a 4 year university, and medical schools are well aware of this.

I took all of my chemistry, math, and English classes at a CC before transferring. Took the rest of my pre reqs at my university. I'm extremely happy with my cycle thus far.

Things to be aware of are, certain schools won't accept more than X number of classes from a CC to account for pre reqs. List is somewhere in sdn, just check out the search tool. I want to say this is more coming at the top tier schools but don't quote me on that.

Also, the red flag that appears is when you're dual enrolled and taking those pre med courses at a CC instead of a university. Or if you take them all at your CC and none at your university.

Most importantly, get good grades in these classes and crush your MCAT. I have a few friends in top tier med schools with similar stories. You'll be alright.

No. It's strongly recommended that you don't take English/BCPM courses at a community college. The rigor required to obtain the same grade at a community college is significantly less than that of a 4 year university, and medical schools are well aware of this.

No

OP

No, it doesn't matter just get good grades

Edit: For the lurkers read the post below

Last edited:
No

OP

No, it doesn't matter just get good grades

False. It does matter, look at the admissions FAQs @gonnif, frequently posts here.
SOME schools don't recommend taking beyond a certain number of cc/AP credits.

Math, probably matters a lot less since a lot of schools aren't even making it a pre-req anymore

Reactions: 1 user
False. It does matter, look at the admissions FAQs @gonnif, frequently posts here.
SOME schools don't recommend taking beyond a certain number of cc/AP credits.

Math, probably matters a lot less since a lot of schools aren't even making it a pre-req anymore

Hm, interesting wasn't aware.

Anecdotal evidence here: but I took my English and Math courses at a CC and I have two acceptances. I think there’s much more important aspects of the application to worry about. For example, if you haven’t had any clinical experience then your 4.0 with or without CC isn’t going to matter.

+1, CC calculus was so hard I had to drop after scoring in the teens on an exam. UG calc two years later was almost easy-A territory.

Community college is less of a stigma these days as so many more students choose them for cost savings and management of student loan debt. I saved easily $50,000 in loans and interest by going there first. I don't recommend it, but it is not necessarily wrong.

If you're avoiding your prerequisites at your hard undergrad and taking easier versions at a community college, however, that will not look good. It will look like you're gaming the system.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app