Is it my Grades or My Interview Skills?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Blakeb_212

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm kind of at a standstill about what to do here. I applied late cycle and did not give the whole process much thought. As you would expect, I didn't receive many interview invites (1 to be exact). I was overly nervous and the result was a post II rejection. I boosted my application this year in several ways (shadowing, clinical experience, volunteer, more classes) and applied again. I feel I wrote a strong personal statement and I have been fortunate enough to have 7 II thus far. My GPA is a 3.2+ (3.5+ over last 90 credits), Neuroscience major, 505 MCAT, URM. So far I have heard back from 2 MD interviews, 1 hold, and 1 rejection. With an interview looming on Thursday, my thoughts are this: Is my interview going well but when they look back at my stats they are not too thrilled and decide not to accept me, or are they okay with my stats and feel that my interview was underwhelming? Any advice would be much appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

I mean, a 3.2/505 is not going to excite anyone. You're crutching hard on your URM status. Maybe it'll work out, maybe it won't. Not sure why you don't throw DO schools into the mix as well if you want to become a doctor.

Reactions: 1 users
I think it's really impossible to answer that question as no one here witnessed you interview. I can say this - I had to apply twice and my first cycle, I had 3 II and was ultimately waitlisted at all 3 following what I thought were relatively good interviews. It is my belief that I was not accepted during my first cycle because of my stats, and not really because of my interview skills. This cycle, I had improved stats, again received 3 II, and was accepted to all 3!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I think it's really impossible to answer that question as no one here witnessed you interview. I can say this - I had to apply twice and my first cycle, I had 3 II and was ultimately waitlisted at all 3 following what I thought were relatively good interviews. It is my belief that I was not accepted during my first cycle because of my stats, and not really because of my interview skills. This cycle, I had improved stats, again received 3 II, and was accepted to all 3!

Thanks for the reply and congratulations! So the consensus you had was that bringing up your stats made the difference?

Thanks for the reply and congratulations! So the consensus you had was that bringing up your stats made the difference?

Thank you! And yes, I believe increasing my stats (GPA in upper level sciences) was what made the difference. That's all I can come with given how things worked out at least!

So I'm kind of at a standstill about what to do here. I applied late cycle and did not give the whole process much thought. As you would expect, I didn't receive many interview invites (1 to be exact). I was overly nervous and the result was a post II rejection. I boosted my application this year in several ways (shadowing, clinical experience, volunteer, more classes) and applied again. I feel I wrote a strong personal statement and I have been fortunate enough to have 7 II thus far. My GPA is a 3.2+ (3.5+ over last 90 credits), Neuroscience major, 505 MCAT, URM. So far I have heard back from 2 MD interviews, 1 hold, and 1 rejection. With an interview looming on Thursday, my thoughts are this: Is my interview going well but when they look back at my stats they are not too thrilled and decide not to accept me, or are they okay with my stats and feel that my interview was underwhelming? Any advice would be much appreciated!
What ethnic community do you represent?

I'd say that your interview skills need work. The rising trend is good, and the MCAT score is fine for a number of MD schools. Consider adding some DO schools.

What ethnic community do you represent?

I'd say that your interview skills need work. The rising trend is good, and the MCAT score is fine for a number of MD schools. Consider adding some DO schools.

I am African American, Montana resident. I have an interview at UNR tomorrow so hopefully, I do not get tongue-tied. I applied to a number of DO schools but have only had luck with Oklahoma State and Marion thus far.

I am African American, Montana resident. I have an interview at UNR tomorrow so hopefully, I do not get tongue-tied. I applied to a number of DO schools but have only had luck with Oklahoma State and Marion thus far.
Read this quick!
Goro's Guide to Interviews
Goro's Guide to Interviews: The View from Behind the Curtain
Goro's Guide to YOUR Interview Questions (2016 edition)
Goro's Guide to DO School Interviews
Goro's Guide for YOUR Interview Questions at a DO School

Reactions: 1 user