Is it hard?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SpitFiR3

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is pharmacy school harder than undergrad or is it the other way around?

Members don't see this ad.

Depends where you completed your pre-reqs or undergrad education. If your school is known to have a competitive biology program, you should be prepared for pharmacy school. If you completed your pre-reqs at a JC, then I dunno.

Pharmacy school is harder than a normal undergrad program. To put this in perspective, my last year of undergrad I took Ochem II, biochem, micro, physics II, A&P I, all of these with labs. I also had a senior 30 page research paper to write.

I would say that semester prepared me for pharmacy school, but pharmacy school was a little more intense. At least I didn't freak out. One of my friends kept breaking out into hives all semester. She went to a community college.

Members don't see this ad :)
It actually depends on your ability and effort, background and also the pharmacy school's passing rate requirements. I know some students from JC quite struggle at the first year in pharmacy school while others well-prepared students at 4 yr-institutions might not (or less) struggle. However, the other way around can be applicable too. As an example, I know a girl from my JC who is a P2 at NVCP now, and she is always at top of the class. So just be yourself and concentrate...things will be okay.

I would have to say, that I am slightly intimidated by pharmacy school. Hearing how incredibly hard all the classes are. Makes me want to know, how did YOU know that you were smart enough/diligent enough to make it through?

Originally posted by jemc2000
I would have to say, that I am slightly intimidated by pharmacy school. Hearing how incredibly hard all the classes are. Makes me want to know, how did YOU know that you were smart enough/diligent enough to make it through?

You just need to look in the mirror and ask your self how badly do you really want it. Then you keep asking yourself that question every time you are tempted to cut a class, take a nap, or just sit there staring off into space instead of studying like you know you should be doing. This is your opportunity to really shine under pressure - or fail. Pharmacy school will show you what you are made of.

You can judge your abilities by comparing how well you do in your classes against other students. You can also use your PCAT score as a guide. For instance, if you scored at the 95th percentile, then you did better than 95% of the other students who took the test on that day. That is a real confidence booster and confidence is a big part of it, too. You have to believe in yourself.

good advices. Currently I'm taking vertebrate anatomy (one of the hardest class for my major bio. I study everyday, night and day and still scare ****less), microbio, genetic. Hopefully I will be more prepare. Is pharm school something where you have to study everyday or else you will fall behind?

Depends on the person.

I personally never studied for the Social/Behavioral Pharmacy until the night before exams. Coming to class was enough of a review.

Pharmacotherapeutics was a matter of time and and effort for me. I didn't get the inspiration part of the deal that some of the other students did. My lowest marks come in that section as well, although I do possess a mastery of the subject beyond most of my peers.

Pharmacology/Med. Chem.: Depending on the mix of profs, I either studied hard or not at all and managed well. Particularly if the test involved Gentry or Fisher (senior profs in the department).

My hardest class was actually my first year Pharmaceutics (Drug Dosage Forms). The prof was extremely hard and the subject matter required tons of work to understand.

F.S.A.R.