Is it feasible to work part-time as a hospitalist in a primary care specialty?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nebuchadnezzarII

CALI born and raised.
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm considering working part-time for several years after residency. I'm curious about what this would mean for me. Ideally, I'd like to work with a hospital system. I live in the largest city on the East Coast and there are dozens of hospitals here.

As a part-time employee (working 20-30 hours), would I still get any benefits? Is this type of schedule possible for primary care specialties? I understand that there must be a massive pay-cut when working so few hours. But how low does it go? Are we talking residency-level salary or something a little above that?

I know that joining a practice or something like that is an option, but I am not sure how I feel about that just yet. Thanks everyone.

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, you can do hospitalist as an FM or IM doctor.
No, it's not resident salary.
The rate of pay/hours is negotiated when you are discussing contracts.
Most hospitalists work one week on/one week off.
You can always do hospitalist locums - those jobs are a dime a dozen (locums does not have benefits) but they pay your travel, housing, rental car, and hourly pay.

Reactions: 3 users
You may also be able to negotiate part time (ie fewer than 14-16 shifts a month that most 7 on 7 off folks will do) hospitalist positions directly with a hospital or physician staffing agencies. Whether you are compensated in a salary model or as an independent contractor will vary. Benefits would also vary. I currently work somewhere between 6-10 shifts a month and I work it around my husband's schedule. I try to stack at least 2-3 shifts together so I have a little continuity when possible but I also accept that I'm giving up some of that for the flexibility to work part time. It is the choice that works for this season of our lives. I may transition back into more full time work when our children are older.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
You may also be able to negotiate part time (ie fewer than 14-16 shifts a month that most 7 on 7 off folks will do) hospitalist positions directly with a hospital or physician staffing agencies. Whether you are compensated in a salary model or as an independent contractor will vary. Benefits would also vary. I currently work somewhere between 6-10 shifts a month and I work it around my husband's schedule. I try to stack at least 2-3 shifts together so I have a little continuity when possible but I also accept that I'm giving up some of that for the flexibility to work part time. It is the choice that works for this season of our lives. I may transition back into more full time work when our children are older.

That sounds pretty cool, actually. I am glad it is working for you. Best of luck!

I do locums urgent care and will start with locums hospitalist at some point in the near future. I also do full spectrum primary care full time

Reactions: 1 user