Is it difficult to get pharm jobs in CA?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

stdent9972

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am just curious; I am well aware that it is on the difficult side for physicians, dentists and optometrists to find jobs/ have good careers in CA, I am wondering if this is the case for pharmacy, too?

I don't have any current plans to live in CA, but I was wondering how difficult it would be in LA or the Bay Area if I wanted to move there in the future. ( I am aware that CA has its own boards & license and that alone makes it at least slightly more difficult)

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

As far as I know, it is a bit difficult to find a pharmacy job in Southern area, particularly at OC, LA (where i am now residing). This is actually due to the big number of pharmacists. The actual reason is in fact we have too many Asians in CA . Thus, the level of competition is keen. Just my thoughts.

It's hard to get a retail position in San Francisco. Most of the pharmacists I worked with had been with their chains for awhile and many had started in crappy locations and tranferred. There was an opening at my store for awhile. My store was the most undesirable location in the city though so that's why people avoided it like the plague. If you're willing to go to the Central Valley or somewhere outside SF or LA it's probably easier.

Members don't see this ad :)
There is still a shortage in clinical pharmacist, that's what my DR at UCI Medical Center told me. If you want to do retail, expect to be a floater for awhile and wait for a manager to keep you full time.

Originally posted by stdent9972
( I am aware that CA has its own boards & license and that alone makes it at least slightly more difficult)

Thanks!

As of Jan 2004, CA not longer has it's own boards. They accept NAPLEX just like everyone else. They just have their own law exam (but then again, so does every other state).

Originally posted by rxforlife2004
The actual reason is that we have too many Asians here.

Are you an Asian? It seems like you are frustrated with the fact that there are too many Asians in pharmacy.........not that I care how you feel.

Yes, I am Asian. However, I am definitely not frustrated with the fact we have too many Asian pharmacists at all. If you are good, you'll be good...no matter what....but uh, i am just pointing out the main reason to explain why it is a bit difficult to land a job in California.

Of course there are many Asians in the field of pharmacy when there is a large Asian population in California and majority of Asians do attend college. The ones who are accepted into California Pharmacy School are the ones who are most competitive and California residents, not because of race. Why does the issue of race have to be brought up in these forums? I grew up around racism and it saddens me that it still continues. We should be happy for those who make it into pharmacy school.
My quote to leave you all with:
Be the change that YOU want to see! Stop complaining and do something about it!

Originally posted by rxforlife2004
As far as I know, it is a bit difficult to find a pharmacy job in Southern area, particularly at OC, LA (where i am now residing). This is actually due to the big number of pharmacists. The actual reason is in fact we have too many Asians in CA . Thus, the level of competition is keen. Just my thoughts.

Uh...O....K? I thought how you said it was interesting b/c I even noticed this kind of attitude on the radiostation several years ago......there was actually a guy calling in.....really frustrated with the fact that all the pharmacy students were Asian in his class
and the talk-show host even tried to talk like a pharmacist with an Asian accent. The guy wanted to transfer out of the school and he was not kidding around.

BTW..to the original poster...... I wasn't surprised about the tight job market in California. After all....there are 6 pharmacy schools.
On top of that....since California uses Naplex, it(job market) will probably be more tighter(My humble opinion). Some of the fellow California pharmacy students that I have spoken to several years ago were not very happy about the impending exam changes. Sorry if I got off the topic a bit.

i don't think florida accepts the naplex either.

Originally posted by TotalKayOs
i don't think florida accepts the naplex either.

All 50 states accept the naplex. Florida has a clause that you have to take the exam actually IN the state of florida for them to accept it. But if you took NAPLEX in florida, you would be good for ALL states.

The California pharmacists are upset about NAPLEX because their old exam (very difficult/favored CA-educated pharmacists) was very difficult to pass for an out of state pharmacist. They already had licenses, so their job security/high pay was a sure thing. Now there is more competition and people are worried that it will reduce job oppertunities and possibly drive the wages down in CA.

do you have proof that florida's naplex is accepted by other states? last i knew there were no states that had reciprocity with florida.

Originally posted by jdpharmd?
Now there is more competition and people are worried that it will reduce job oppertunities and possibly drive the wages down in CA.

yeah, i think that's one of the reasons they wanna use naplex in CA.

Originally posted by ucdbiochem
yeah, i think that's one of the reasons they wanna use naplex in CA.

Actually, I meant that it was one of the reasons that CA pharmacists DIDN'T want to accept NAPLEX. Before it was an exclusive job, but after NAPLEX it's the same as anywhere else.

Originally posted by TotalKayOs
do you have proof that florida's naplex is accepted by other states? last i knew there were no states that had reciprocity with florida.

I'll look into it for you. I've already emailed the president of the Arizona state board of pharmacy. I have a classmate who intends on taking the boards in her home state (Florida) in order to have all her bases covered. I'll see what AZ says about reciprocity and I'll get back to you.

This might be of interest since it discusses health care:

STUDY PREDICTS JOB GROWTH FOR SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA IN 2004
Southern California's economy will pick up steam in 2004,
creating jobs at a faster rate than the rest of the state and
the nation, reports a new study released on February 9, 2004
by the Los Angeles County Economic Development Corporation
(LAEDC). The report, titled "2004-2005 Economic Forecast and
Industry Outlook for California & the Los Angeles Five-County
Area Including the National & International Setting," also
makes a prediction that the U.S. economy will expand as well,
growing by 4 percent in 2004 and 3.6 percent in 2005, with
consumer spending contributing healthily to such an economic
upturn.
The report names the aerospace, technology, and tourism
industries among those with improving economic prospects in
2004, while it identifies health services and motion
picture/TV production among those that will continue to
experience significant challenges. The report notes that the
value of exports moving through the Los Angeles area will most
likely increase to $259 billion, up 10 percent, in 2004. On
the other hand, health services is being held at a poor
forecast rating for 2004 due to a variety of forces including:
a double digit rise in health care cost rates, an ongoing
struggle on behalf of hospitals to comply with nursing
staffing laws, and closure of smaller hospitals.
The forecast also predicts that in terms of percentage job
growth for nonfarm jobs in 2004, the Riverside-San Bernardino
area will experience a 2.4 percent (or 25,600 jobs) increase.
Orange County is predicted to gain 1.6 percent (or 22,200),
while San Diego County will see a 1.2% increase (or 14,600).
Los Angeles County's nonfarm employment will move up by 0.8
percent (31,300), while Ventura County will see a 0.3 percent
slippage (or 700). In addition, other measures of regional
economic growth, such as personal income, and taxable sales,
are also projected to advance at a healthy rate.
The report's predictions, which estimate that Southern
California's economy will grow at 1.14 percent in 2004, place
the five-county region's economic upward movement ahead of
state and national economic indicators. The LAEDC report
concludes that there are emerging industries in which the
state and the region under consideration could be major
players, and recommends that elected and business leaders
should develop an encompassing vision that would energize
overall population and various segments of the business
community in light of upcoming changes.
To obtain a copy of this report, please visit the LAEDC
website at: http://www.laedc.org .

I talked to my pharmacist today, and she said that the salary for retail is not going to decrease just because of Naplex. Also, she said that when she graduated from USC a decade ago, there wasn't a shortage and there wasn't a high demand for pharmacist, but the salary was still high. On the contary, she did state that because of Naplex, it might be harder to find a retail job in LA, OC and SF area.

when you guys says its easier to find a job in the SF area compared to SF itself, what do you guys mean?? Like Daly City or Pacifica or S. San Fran. ? or more like AROUND the bay area?

Originally posted by eddie269
when you guys says its easier to find a job in the SF area compared to SF itself, what do you guys mean?? Like Daly City or Pacifica or S. San Fran. ? or more like AROUND the bay area?

When the pharmacist I worked with in the city got out of school about 4 years ago the only openings with many of the chains in the "Bay Area" were in places like Fairfield and Santa Rosa. From what he was saying the only openings were usually 1+ hrs from the city or, if they were in SF, in stores with bad repuations like the one I worked in.