Is internship less competitive than residentcy?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

metrodaily

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, can anyone tell me if it's easier to get an internship in California than residency? Or they are both the same. Thx

Members don't see this ad.

Hi, can anyone tell me How hard is getting an IM or FP residency in California? Is it easier to get internship than residency? I'm an out-of-state, DO first yr student. Thx

Depends what kind of residency you're looking for.

Unless you're talking about in-state residency. :confused:

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm think about IM or FP California internship or residency.

FM includes internship in their residency programs thus difficulty of obtaining an internship in FM = difficulty of obtaining residency in FM.

IM does have Preliminary years which tend to be easier to get for an intern year but they do not translate into an IM residency for everyone; thus IM Prelim is easier to get than IM residency (generally).

I would not consider matching into a Prelim IM year as a way into a categorical IM residency in California.

Can I apply for both Intern and residency for IM at the same time? I mean the bottom line is, I would to go back to California after I 've graduated.

Can I apply for both Intern and residency for IM at the same time? I mean the bottom line is, I would to go back to California after I 've graduated.

Yes.

You want to go back to Cali? Whattttttt. Why didn't you just say so damn it!

Btw, your writing skills suck major elephant b@lls bro. Work on it.

Yes.

You want to go back to Cali? Whattttttt. Why didn't you just say so damn it!

Btw, your writing skills suck major elephant b@lls bro. Work on it.

Sure, DOCTORSAIB, I'll work on your rectum.

Just a friendly reminder to everyone: please keep all discussion professional and refrain from any personal attacks. Thank you for your cooperation!

Just do ResItern, then u dunt have to wurrie aboutit.
Thank you, I know I'm very fresh. May I know what is a ResItern? I know you are a real resident, and should be capable to help. Not like those med students who pretend to be a big shot but know nothing. i.e. DOC***SAIB

Internship is the first year of residency.

If you are applying for IM, you apply for an IM residency which INCLUDES your internship year. It does not require separate applications.

California is the same as other states but I thought you were going back to HK to practice (per our previous posts). At any rate, since you are a first year student, this will all become clearer as you get closer to applying for the match.

(will not go into the issue of not matching and taking a Prelim or TY; will likely add further confusion)

Thanks, I would like to know how competitive it is in Southern California (allopathic IM programs)? A couple people told me they are extremely competitive, and not friendly to DO, is it true? Also, If I only applied for IM programs in So Cal, and did not get accepted at any place, what are my options?

Thanks, I would like to know how competitive it is in Southern California (allopathic IM programs)? A couple people told me they are extremely competitive, and not friendly to DO, is it true?

For the most part, programs in any geographically desirable area (of which Southern California counts) will be more competitive than the average program elsewhere. Therefore, yes, IM residency programs in Southern California do tend, on the average, to be more competitive elsewhere.

Some will be unfriendly to osteopaths but there are osteopathic residency programs there as well for which you would be eligible. You cannot do anything about allopathic programs, which are competitive for allopaths, being less interested in osteopathic students.

Also, If I only applied for IM programs in So Cal, and did not get accepted at any place, what are my options?

The osteopathic match is first...if you match, you must drop out of the allopathic match. If you do not match, you can continue to participate in the allopathic match. You might consider widening your applications geographically.

If you fail to match in the allopathic match, you can participate in the scramble. As an independent candidate, you would be eligible to sign a contract outside of the match.

If you still fail to find a position, you can sit out the year and try again the following year, or pick up a position which suddenly opens up (because someone didn't show for residency or quit shortly after starting). There are tons of threads about what to do if you don't match.

$100 that the OP is still going to have questions about IM programs in SoCal, matching, rectums, etc-- even after Dr. Cox's very informative post (you rock, btw).

For the most part, programs in any geographically desirable area (of which Southern California counts) will be more competitive than the average program elsewhere. Therefore, yes, IM residency programs in Southern California do tend, on the average, to be more competitive elsewhere.

Some will be unfriendly to allopaths but there are osteopathic residency programs there as well for which you would be eligible. You cannot do anything about allopathic programs, which are competitive for allopaths, being less interested in osteopathic students.

The osteopathic match is first...if you match, you must drop out of the allopathic match. If you do not match, you can continue to participate in the allopathic match. You might consider widening your applications geographically.

If you fail to match in the allopathic match, you can participate in the scramble. As an independent candidate, you would be eligible to sign a contract outside of the match.

If you still fail to find a position, you can sit out the year and try again the following year, or pick up a position which suddenly opens up (because someone didn't show for residency or quit shortly after starting). There are tons of threads about what to do if you don't match.

Thanks, I'm much more clear now.