Is "having money" an unstated medical school pre-req?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Rainbows&Waterfalls

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
As my matriculation date approaches, I am beginning to think I'm "too poor" for medical school.

These are merely observations, and I'll certainly still be attending, but I can't help but feel disadvantaged in many ways.

Caveat: I'm low-income and first-generation, taking out the maximum cost of attendance in LOANS to pay for M1

Here we go...

I did not realize the school supply list would include an executive desk and ergonomic desk chair. I have never bought a desk, or a chair for that matter, and am still using my hand-me-down from undergrad. Most of my classmates are spending nearly $1,000 for this setup, which of course isn't included in the COA.

Plus, YOU'RE PAYING WHAT FOR STEP 1 TEST PREP?!?! We haven't even started class yet and some of my classmates have invested thousands of dollars on test prep. I can barely scrape up enough for tuition and rent and then there are these additional expenses (that I knew nothing about until recently). Is this real life?

The list could go on... from wardrobes to computers to apartments to cars...

Please tell me that I can be successful without all the fancy, COSTLY, add-ons. Is anyone else experiencing a similar situation? Sorry for complaining, I think I just need a little reassurance.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
As my matriculation date approaches, I am beginning to think I'm "too poor" for medical school.

These are merely observations, and I'll certainly still be attending, but I can't help but feel disadvantaged in many ways.

Caveat: I'm low-income and first-generation, taking out the maximum cost of attendance in LOANS to pay for M1

Here we go...

I did not realize the school supply list would include an executive desk and ergonomic desk chair. I have never bought a desk, or a chair for that matter, and am still using my hand-me-down from undergrad. Most of my classmates are spending nearly $1,000 for this setup, which of course isn't included in the COA.

Plus, YOU'RE PAYING WHAT FOR STEP 1 TEST PREP?!?! We haven't even started class yet and some of my classmates have invested thousands of dollars on test prep. I can barely scrape up enough for tuition and rent and then there are these additional expenses (that I knew nothing about until recently). Is this real life?

Please tell me that I can be successful without all the fancy, COSTLY, add-ons. Is anyone else experiencing a similar situation? Sorry for complaining, I think I just need a little reassurance.

Yup. Many of us come from the background where the only cash in our bank accounts is what we put there.

Live cheap or join the military.

Pay *as little for rent* as possible. Drive your car into the ground and count down the days left living like a student

Reactions: 5 users

Here we go...

Use the old desk, or if it's too far to haul, have you never visited resale stores or garage sales to look for furniture (and clothing)? And there's craigslist, too. Used Step I prep books abound. Don't get caught up in "Keeping up with the Joneses."

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)

Here we go...

Make friends with thrift stores.
Make friend with the local Dollar Store, especially if it sells food.
Find a roommate
There are lots of nice tasty meals you can make that don't bust your budget (there have been some threads on this...do a search); and get a rice cooker and crock pot.
To that end, many supermarkets have sale prices on meat and other perishables that are close to expiration date; these can be up to 50% off.

Also, if food money is tight, sweet potatoes are a legit meal if you aren't eating too many cals per day. I got by with $20/week in undergrad buying sweet potatoes, food for wraps, protein bars, eggs, milk, and then something nicer like chicken/turkey with broccoli/brussel sprouts. Make sure you find the "discount" grocery stores; Aldi was and still is my best friend when it comes to shopping for food.

I subscribe to the Free Food mailing list on campus. Undergrad uni's tends to get a lot of presentations from guest speakers, conferences, meeting, etc and those usually have free food left over. If your med school has an undergrad institution nearby, consider joining this list. I've gotten very good food from this - I once went the entire company recruiting week without having to pay for my food.

Test prep - reddit, sdn, forums online, resources are everywhere if you search hard enough
At the end of the day it's not how much you paid to get a course but rather how much time you put into study. (disclaimer I don't know anything about step 1 so maybe that's different from previous tests?)

Cars etc - Ignore me if your school is far from hospital etc or need to drive a lot; more urban areas have nice transport systems that offer discounts for discount for students... Ubers can also be cheaper than a car if you don't need to drive often. My friends in Cali say the 405 sometimes makes them wish they chose a closer location...

Computer - ask a tech savvy friend for a customized gaming computer build - they tend to be cheaper and can tolerate a lot of stuff going on without lag or crash. For schoolwork I use an older computer with just MS suite and firefox so I don't get distracted.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 user
Dude, my wife and kids were on Medicaid and food stamps while I was in med school. I won $100 in a neighborhood raffle and thought it was a total windfall. My wife and I had a monthly date budget of twenty bucks. All of my kids' outdoor toys -- including their little slide and Cozy Coupe, which we still have -- were reclaimed from other people's tree lawns and cleaned with Sani-wipes I filched from the hospital. Some other driver hit me and his insurance company gave me $200 to fix my bumper, but I used the money to pay my own insurance premium instead because I had no other way to afford it. When my car's CD player broke, I bought a $10 stereo from Wal-Mart and plugged it into the cigarette lighter. And I've got other stories, too.

It's literally impossible for you to be too poor for med school.

Reactions: 17 users
Lack of financial resources makes medical school hard.
Not impossible though.
It's the things you work really hard for you appreciate the most. Forge on.

Reactions: 1 users
Go to conferences and events for free food

Just embrace the cheap life --

Yes, med school, like everything else in life, favors the well-to-do and the good-looking. But, as in many other areas of American life, everyone loves an underdog who makes good and there are ways to scrimp by. Elevate it to an art form and your future kids will hate you for it :cool:

For your desk, a flat-panel door on two saw horses works beautifully. Craigslist, IKEA or Costco for a desk chair. Or (for future readers) see if your school has a list that helps graduating students connect with incoming students to buy & sell cheap stuff. I'm assuming you've already hit up your parents (and their friends?) for furniture and kitchenware they might want an excuse to upgrade? More affluent members of the empty nest generation often love a good excuse to give away that old whatever that they'd love to replace with something new.

Reactions: 2 users
Make friends with thrift stores.
Make friend with the local Dollar Store, especially if it sells food.
Find a roommate
There are lots of nice tasty meals you can make that don't bust your budget (there have been some threads on this...do a search); and get a rice cooker and crock pot.
To that end, many supermarkets have sale prices on meat and other perishables that are close to expiration date; these can be up to 50% off.

I'm going to disagree with the Dollar Store. Its a convenience store, things are actually marked higher that most grocery stores. The rice cooker and crock pot are good ideas.

Learn some basic cooking and baking (like from eggs, butter and flour). My wife and I survived on $50 a week while in med school, and most of residency. Didn't eat a ton of meat other than egg, and bulk frozen.

I suspect your rent is too high. Make a budget and live off it. Most of that stuff is just fluff. I don't want to think about the money I wasted in med school.

I'm going to disagree with the Dollar Store. Its a convenience store, things are actually marked higher that most grocery stores. The rice cooker and crock pot are good ideas.

Learn some basic cooking and baking (like from eggs, butter and flour). My wife and I survived on $50 a week while in med school, and most of residency. Didn't eat a ton of meat other than egg, and bulk frozen.

I suspect your rent is too high. Make a budget and live off it. Most of that stuff is just fluff. I don't want to think about the money I wasted in med school.
All I can give is my own experience. For example, my local grocer has a particular brand of bologna for $1.69. The Dollar store had it for $1. It's hit or miss when they have it, but the DS fruit is less than my grocer, and so is brand name bread and some cereals.

Oh, always look for local farmer's markets! Definitely less expensive that the grocer.

Just embrace the cheap life --

Elevate it to an art form . . .

Or (for future readers) see if your school has a list that helps graduating students connect with incoming students to buy & sell cheap stuff.
You haven't mentioned "dumpster diving," on move-out day. You can find some unbelievably prime stuff, that the rich kids never thought twice about leaving behind. Microwaves, TVs, Ikea that's like brand-new . . . and the list goes on.

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh, always look for local farmer's markets! Definitely less expensive that the grocer.

Not in our neighborhood! I've found cheapest produce in the ethnic supermarkets. Sam's and Costco are good for large quantities of tasty frozen food that's good in a hurry.

Just thought of a food budgeting tip:
Ditto what @DokterMom said -- Look for those hole-in-the-wall asian/indian/'oriental' grocery stores to give you a jumping off point for Google; the one here in Des Moines has the best produce in the area and is dirt freaking cheap.

Some more hope/perspective... I had 8 people over for dinner last year, spent $18 for the *entire meal* and still had 50% of what I made as leftovers. Dahl and Indian food is really cheap to make and tastes amazing. Helps with the dating field if you can invite him/her over for dinner and pull something together that actually tastes good.

And seriously - living within your means instead of complaining to mommy and daddy that what the world gave you 'isn't enough' is more than character building, it'll set you up for success in you personal life; it'll make you more aware/conscious of the struggles of your lower SES patients, will build compassion, and put you in a position where you'll grow into 'who you want to be' or whatever.

Hope the motivation helps. Keep up the good work and congrats on getting accepted! From someone who scraped by growing up/was on subsidized lunches in school (all that jazz), it's really not all that bad. Just learn to walk away from the ****ty rich gunners with a smile on your face and not resent them, and you'll be a-ok.

Still the cheapest option for produce and dry goods where I come from.
Upgrade to Lidl if you get a chance. Prices comparable to Aldi but with more departments, better and more diverse produce, a fairly impressive wine selection (I think so, anyway, but I don't drink), and a bakery! And their knockoff Nutella cereal is the best cereal EVER.
IMG_20180730_185802.jpg

Last edited:
Dude, my wife and kids were on Medicaid and food stamps while I was in med school. I won $100 in a neighborhood raffle and thought it was a total windfall. My wife and I had a monthly date budget of twenty bucks. All of my kids' outdoor toys -- including their little slide and Cozy Coupe, which we still have -- were reclaimed from other people's tree lawns and cleaned with Sani-wipes I filched from the hospital. Some other driver hit me and his insurance company gave me $200 to fix my bumper, but I used the money to pay my own insurance premium instead because I had no other way to afford it. When my car's CD player broke, I bought a $10 stereo from Wal-Mart and plugged it into the cigarette lighter. And I've got other stories, too.

It's literally impossible for you to be too poor for med school.

I feel like you and I would have been pretty good friends in another life where we knew each other irl.

Upgrade to Lidl if you get a chance. Prices comparable to Aldi but with more departments, better and more diverse produce, a fairly impressive wine selection (I think so, anyway, but I don't drink), and a bakery! And their knockoff Nutella cereal is the best cereal EVER.
View attachment 238119

Second LIDL. I used to shop at Safeway because aldi is kind of a **** show here. A week’s groceries was like $150-175 there. We switched to lidl and it is always under $100. And this is for a family of four.

Roommates can be key. I saved so much my first year, I had plenty left for test prep. Save every penny you get, because Step 1 isn't cheap, and you will want UWorld at the very least.

Many students come form high socioeconomic backgrounds.

This was my setup when I was on my own saving doing DIY postbac last year. I loved standup writing, so, I think a donated desk and a box can do it just fine. I lived in the basement of my best friend's townhouse, without needing to pay any rent for a year.

Almost 15 years ago, I started my graduate training. Although I did have some money in the bank, every penny was meant for tuition as I had to pay OOS tuition. So I had developed many techniques and skills to save as much money as I can, and that got me through the 2-year program.

My record was to only spend 50 bucks on food for 2 months, so, $25/month. These were the techniques I developed from that time.

1. Make friends who have costco memberships, and go shopping with them. Don't get vegeis here, you won't be able to finish them before they start to go bad. Rather, get some big chunk of meat from here. I particularly love their 10 pounds pork loin which only costs me $25 or so. Right after you get home, cut them into pieces, about the sizes for a meal, wrap them separately with plastic wrap, and put them into the freezer. (I know, plastic wrap isn't really friendly to environment, but now it comes to my survival, I have to do what I have to...) So in the following few weeks, you just get one out every morning before you go out, so that when you return home in the afternoon, it is defrosted. (oh, don't forget the on-sale turkeys after Thanksgiving!)

2. Buy the "on sale" vegies or fruit from near-by budget super markets, OK, I mean Asian super markets. They are super affordable, and you can find other greens you never eat before. Try some out. They are good for you too, and CHEAP! They also often put tofu on sale, and when you see them, go grab some! Make good friends with local Asian super markets (if you live in metropolitan areas where there are sizeable Asian populations). No, I don't mean Japanese supermarkets. They are expensive. Don't go there if you want to save money. (Also, some Asian super markets also serve hot food. If you go there around 19:00-20:00, they often put out the "half-priced" food. I sometime got a lot of them and had them for the rest of the week...)

3. I know most people in the US don't like chicken drumstick. However, I lived on chicken drumsticks in my grad school. They are cheap here (in comparison with other parts of chicken meat). There are so many good recipes to make them delicious. If tired of western recipes, there are many recipes around the world you can choose from too to make them taste differently. (Yes, Asians eat a lot of that....)

4. Make rice your main carb source. They are very cheap and filling! Cook them in a rice cooker. There are a lot of easy recipes for you to make rice and other stuff simultaneously in your rice cooker. What I usually ate at that time for a meal included: a bowl of white rice, a portion of stir-fried pork/a chicken drumstick, and a portion of stir-fried green vegies + fruit. It is quite balanced, isn't it?

5. I signed up the free-food email list, and frequent those events that offered free food. I also did these crazy things: I waited until everyone left, and asked to take home all the left-over. Many of them will be happy to give you the left over as you save their job to clean up and handle the left-over. You will be surprised what you can bring home: one time I took home 3 boxes of untouched pizzas. But mostly, I will break down the food into ingredients, and recombine those ingredients into my own meals. (I took out the greens from salad, rinsed them with water, and stir fried them.)

6. I did dumpster-diving, around Greek houses. This one was quite bad, and I finally got caught and warned not to do it. But I got a lot of good stuff from the dumpsters. The reason I started to do dumpster-diving was that I had some sentiment toward those kids living in Greek houses. To me, those spoiled kids were wasting food while I tried to save every penny on food to make my education work. Yes, they were really wasting food. One time I got out from the dumpster a pumpkin cake. Somebody just bought the cake, had a slice of 1/8, decided that they didn't like the cake, and threw it in the trash can (in the original box). So, I got out the cake, put it into my fridge, and invited my friends over to enjoy the cake (yes I told them it was from the dumpster, and none of my hungry friends cared). I also got a lot of good stuff, such as a bag of (uncooked) noodles, oatmeal, vegeis, fruits and others. I stopped after I got caught. Somebody gave me a written notice, warning me not to search their trash again. Honestly, it was a very humiliating moment. I still keep that notice in my box, and sometime I will take it out, and read it again, to remember those days when I did all of these. Anyway, I don't recommend this, because of food safety issues. But dumpster-diving really gives me first-hand experiences of living under poverty - sometimes you have to put your self-esteem on the shelf just to survive.

Oh, by the way, all of my efforts paid off in the end. Throughout my graduate training (not in medicine), I took out 0 loan, and got out of the schools debt free. =)

Attachments

• IMG_20171019_150934.jpg
    IMG_20171019_150934.jpg
    159.7 KB · Views: 83
Last edited:
This was my setup when I was on my own saving doing DIY postbac last year. I loved standup writing, so, I think a donated desk and a box can do it just fine. I lived in the basement of my best friend's townhouse, without needing to pay any rent for a year.

Almost 15 years ago, I started my graduate training. Although I did have some money in the bank, every penny was meant for tuition as I had to pay OOS tuition. So I had developed many techniques and skills to save as much money as I can, and that got me through the 2-year program.

My record was to only spend 50 bucks on food for 2 months, so, $25/month. These were the techniques I developed from that time.

1. Make friends who have costco memberships, and go shopping with them. Don't get vegeis here, you won't be able to finish them before they start to go bad. Rather, get some big chunk of meat from here. I particularly love their 10 pounds pork loin which only costs me $25 or so. Right after you get home, cut them into pieces, about the sizes for a meal, wrap them separately with plastic wrap, and put them into the freezer. (I know, plastic wrap isn't really friendly to environment, but now it comes to my survival, I have to do what I have to...) So in the following few weeks, you just get one out every morning before you go out, so that when you return home in the afternoon, it is defrosted. (oh, don't forget the on-sale turkeys after Thanksgiving!)

2. Buy the "on sale" vegies or fruit from near-by budget super markets, OK, I mean Asian super markets. They are super affordable, and you can find other greens you never eat before. Try some out. They are good for you too, and CHEAP! They also often put tofu on sale, and when you see them, go grab some! Make good friends with local Asian super markets (if you live in metropolitan areas where there are sizeable Asian populations). No, I don't mean Japanese supermarkets. They are expensive. Don't go there if you want to save money. (Also, some Asian super markets also serve hot food. If you go there around 19:00-20:00, they often put out the "half-priced" food. I sometime got a lot of them and had them for the rest of the week...)

3. I know most people in the US don't like chicken drumstick. However, I lived on chicken drumsticks in my grad school. They are cheap here (in comparison with other parts of chicken meat). There are so many good recipes to make them delicious. If tired of western recipes, there are many recipes around the world you can choose from too to make them taste differently. (Yes, Asians eat a lot of that....)

4. Make rice your main carb source. They are very cheap and filling! Cook them in a rice cooker. There are a lot of easy recipes for you to make rice and other stuff simultaneously in your rice cooker. What I usually ate at that time for a meal included: a bowl of white rice, a portion of stir-fried pork/a chicken drumstick, and a portion of stir-fried green vegies + fruit. It is quite balanced, isn't it?

5. I signed up the free-food email list, and frequent those events that offered free food. I also did these crazy things: I waited until everyone left, and asked to take home all the left-over. Many of them will be happy to give you the left over as you save their job to clean up and handle the left-over. You will be surprised what you can bring home: one time I took home 3 boxes of untouched pizzas. But mostly, I will break down the food into ingredients, and recombine those ingredients into my own meals. (I took out the greens from salad, rinsed them with water, and stir fried them.)

6. I did dumpster-diving, around Greek houses. This one was quite bad, and I finally got caught and warned not to do it. But I got a lot of good stuff from the dumpsters. The reason I started to do dumpster-diving was that I had some sentiment toward those kids living in Greek houses. To me, those spoiled kids were wasting food while I tried to save every penny on food to make my education work. Yes, they were really wasting food. One time I got out from the dumpster a pumpkin cake. Somebody just bought the cake, had a slice of 1/8, decided that they didn't like the cake, and threw it in the trash can (in the original box). So, I got out the cake, put it into my fridge, and invited my friends over to enjoy the cake (yes I told them it was from the dumpster, and none of my hungry friends cared). I also got a lot of good stuff, such as a bag of (uncooked) noodles, oatmeal, vegeis, fruits and others. I stopped after I got caught. Somebody gave me a written notice, warning me not to search their trash again. Honestly, it was a very humiliating moment. I still keep that notice in my box, and sometime I will take it out, and read it again, to remember those days when I did all of these. Anyway, I don't recommend this, because of food safety issues. But dumpster-diving really gives me first-hand experiences of living under poverty - sometimes you have to put your self-esteem on the shelf just to survive.

Oh, by the way, all of my efforts paid off in the end. Throughout my graduate training (not in medicine), I took out 0 loan, and got out of the schools debt free. =)

Quite a read.

You haven't mentioned "dumpster diving," on move-out day. You can find some unbelievably prime stuff, that the rich kids never thought twice about leaving behind. Microwaves, TVs, Ikea that's like brand-new . . . and the list goes on.

I picked up a nice desk lamp, a fan, and a whole desk by doing this! All in perfect condition, I was amazed people just left things like that...

I’m not trying to be mean or belittle your struggles but.... At least you have options in the US. Try being poor in other countries or try being a poor international student. Those are the only ones who are too poor for med school cuz they literally have no option.

Being poor in the US is really choosing one of the options available to get out, suffer few more years under that option, and get out. Not easy, feels impossible sometimes based on the situation, but there is always a way out available.

Count yourself lucky for those options cuz you won the citizenship lottery.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

FWIW, during medical school my wife and I ate rice and beans for a lot of meals. At one point we sold nearly all our CDs (back when that was a thing you could do). I maxed my student loans too.

Do everything possible to avoid taking out more student loans than absolutely necessary. Temporary comfort isn’t worth years of loan repayments.

Step I prep = medical school ... if you do a good job with notes (for re-reviewing prior to step I) and really strive to understand the material vs wrote memorization, you shouldn’t need a prep course.

Buy dress clothes, scrubs, or anything for your new MD student wardrobe at Goodwill or other thrift stores. Usually a new color tag becomes half off each week.

Your classmates are a rare kind of loaded.. if I’m correct you’re going to UW Madison? At interviews I remember everyone being $$$ too. Nobody really needs the expensive chair. Wait for big purchases until you see where you study, and how the campus study areas work out for you. And buying step 1 prep before you start class is just a little nuts.

I’m not trying to be mean or belittle your struggles but.... At least you have options in the US. Try being poor in other countries or try being a poor international student. Those are the only ones who are too poor for med school cuz they literally have no option.

Being poor in the US is really choosing one of the options available to get out, suffer few more years under that option, and get out. Not easy, feels impossible sometimes based on the situation, but there is always a way out available.

Count yourself lucky for those options cuz you won the citizenship lottery.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Agree. It’s hard to see it when you’re in it, but the poorest people in this country are better off than the majority of people in many other countries. That doesn’t make it any easier to fight your way to med school though.

I picked up a nice desk lamp, a fan, and a whole desk by doing this! All in perfect condition, I was amazed people just left things like that...

Moving them to a new city can be surprisingly expensive. It's sometimes cheaper to just say goodbye...

Moving them to a new city can be surprisingly expensive. It's sometimes cheaper to just say goodbye...

That's a good point. I guess I was surprised they didn't attempt to sell them. Well props to them for leaving it to others who might want them instead. I'm definitely happy about it :D. Never had a desk at home before and it was definitely a blessing with all these secondaries.

That's a good point. I guess I was surprised they didn't attempt to sell them. Well props to them for leaving it to others who might want them instead. I'm definitely happy about it :D. Never had a desk at home before and it was definitely a blessing with all these secondaries.

We usually put them on CL or Facebook marketplace if it was something expensive, but if not we just give it away on FB or freecycle.

The Freecycle Network

People give away free stuff all the time on Freecycle just to keep it from going in the trash. You can also put in requests occasionally if you need something specific.

Also don't forget that libraries and the like have desks and chairs, so a better investment might be earplugs or headphones.

Vegetarian/vegan is a healthy and cheap way to eat.

Last edited:
We usually put them on CL or Facebook marketplace if it was something expensive, but if not we just give it away on FB or freecycle.

I feel like the desk easily costs over $100 but hey if it's not expensive to whoever owned it previously that's fine by me haha. Lamp and fan I understand though. We have a Facebook free and for sale page so I see a lot of stuff go on there for free or really cheap. Picked up a nice bookshelf from there for $10 when similar ones new were around 40 to 50.

I feel like the desk easily costs over $100 but hey if it's not expensive to whoever owned it previously that's fine by me haha. Lamp and fan I understand though. We have a Facebook free and for sale page so I see a lot of stuff go on there for free or really cheap. Picked up a nice bookshelf from there for $10 when similar ones new were around 40 to 50.

Before i was into building furniture, we found a really nice, enormous oak bookshelf for $100 on FB. This thing is easily $1000 in stores. Now I just build my own furniture. Cheap and fun.

Before i was into building furniture, we found a really nice, enormous oak bookshelf for $100 on FB. This thing is easily $1000 in stores. Now I just build my own furniture. Cheap and fun.

Wow that's one expensive book shelf :eek: but yeah Facebook has been a gold mine for stuff.