This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Zobo135

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if asking for a letter of recommendation from a priest I have grown close with would be frowned upon by adcoms. Much of my ECs have come from serving at my church in various activities for many years. I believe he could write me a strong letter of recommendation because of how well he knows me. Essentially what I am asking is whether or not it would be a smart idea to have a LOR from him for my application. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Academic letters are of much higher value.

Academic letters are of much higher value.
I would still have academic letters from professors. This letter would be used in terms of testifying to my dedication and hard work I am placing into my ECs.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would still have academic letters from professors. This letter would be used in terms of testifying to my dedication and hard work I am placing into my ECs.
A personal letter really doesn't have much impact one way or the other. I doubt anyone is going to hold being Christian and having a positive relationship with a priest against you, but if you're concerned about it just leave it out because a personal letter isn't going to carry much weight

My alma mater has a requirement for a personal letter of rec and someone who knows your personality and service work is perfect. If he’s your “supervisor” for volunteer activities it’s perfectly appropriate. And there’s not such strong bias against religious people that it would be a liability at a place you’d want to go as a person of faith, I don’t think.

Reactions: 2 users
My alma mater has a requirement for a personal letter of rec and someone who knows your personality and service work is perfect. If he’s your “supervisor” for volunteer activities it’s perfectly appropriate. And there’s not such strong bias against religious people that it would be a liability at a place you’d want to go as a person of faith, I don’t think.
this.
/thread

Reactions: 1 users
I was wondering if asking for a letter of recommendation from a priest I have grown close with would be frowned upon by adcoms. Much of my ECs have come from serving at my church in various activities for many years. I believe he could write me a strong letter of recommendation because of how well he knows me. Essentially what I am asking is whether or not it would be a smart idea to have a LOR from him for my application. Thank you!
I think this would be akin to having a coach write a letter in the case of a varsity athlete. It could be great, but it also might be weak if the letter-writer does not know how to write such a letter. Offer to send him the AMCAS link of how to write such a letter for medical school. And, of course, I would make sure you have at least 3 academic/research letters in addition to this one.

Reactions: 1 users
Loma Linda University prefers a clergy letter as one of their letters