• Forums Updates - Tuesday at 1:00 AM Eastern
    We will be performing some system maintenance on Tuesday, June 11 starting around 1:00 AM Eastern. The forums will be unavailable for approximately one hour.

IS GPA of 3.73 with GRE of 1070 , good enough for YALE

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mission2008

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi i am an international medical graduate. I got my transcripts evaluated through WES. I have a GPA of 3.73 in my undergraduate, with a GRE of 1070. Is it strong enough for getting an admission to universities like YALE, HARVARD.

Members don't see this ad.

They state on their website that most sucessful applicants score above the 50th percentile on quantatative (ie above a 600)

You are definitely an ideal candidate for any MPH program! Granted a GRE score >50% in each section is ideal, however, MPH programs are looking for EXPERIENCE. MPH programs weigh your GRE score more heavily when you are lacking in experience or have a low GPA. Bottomline, they look at the application as a whole (i.e., personal statement, GRE, personal statement, experience and LOR's)

As for Yale, you're in. However, make sure it's the ideal program for you don;t just look at the name. In terms of public health programs, yale is certainly not the top school (of course it all depends on what you want to concentrate in). Unsure about harvard, although I do know that they won't even look at your application if you don't have significant experience or a professional degree. Goodluck!

Members don't see this ad :)
You are definitely an ideal candidate for any MPH program! Granted a GRE score >50% in each section is ideal, however, MPH programs are looking for EXPERIENCE. MPH programs weigh your GRE score more heavily when you are lacking in experience or have a low GPA. Bottomline, they look at the application as a whole (i.e., personal statement, GRE, personal statement, experience and LOR's)

As for Yale, you're in. However, make sure it's the ideal program for you don;t just look at the name. In terms of public health programs, yale is certainly not the top school (of course it all depends on what you want to concentrate in). Unsure about harvard, although I do know that they won't even look at your application if you don't have significant experience or a professional degree. Goodluck!

Thank you very much sss3 & Instatewaiter.

I have a 1 year of internship work experience, which includes 6 months in Community Medicine. I had also done 3 research projects. One of it is accepted for publication in a medical journal (PUB MED INDEXED). - But the problem is, i just stated them in my resume and sop. When i approached the school regarding submission of my projects, they said they don't see any projects for admission process. With out any proof, do they take a serious note of my academic achievements?

My GRE score is 1070 (Q 700 - 70th percentile, V 370 - 25th percentile, AWA 3,0). My TOEFL scores is 263/300.

Regarding HARVARD, i am a doctor (MBBS Degree). For YALE i have my GPA to back up my poor GRE, but for Harvard - they said that they don't require WES evaluation. So, i don't have GPA to back me up. My graduate degree shows only a 61% marks on an average for all 4 years of MBBS. Do i stand any chance of getting into it?

SSS3 - Just out of curiosity, are you studying in YALE?

your verbal score is going to hurt you...do you have any time to study and re-take the exam? call the schools to see what their average scores are, but i think you fall below.

good luck!

your verbal score is going to hurt you...do you have any time to study and re-take the exam? call the schools to see what their average scores are, but i think you fall below.

good luck!

Thank you gbennett. I don't have time to retake the test.
I called Harvard admissions office and talked to the chair of admissions committee , and expressed my concern of my poor verbal score. They said that it is competitive. Of the shortlisted programs that i mentioned them, they advised to apply for International Health. They said that there are students with similar GRE score who are admitted. They also said that they don't see verbal and quantitative separately during the review of applications. Are verbal scores that important for an international graduate? what is the average quantitative score for MPH Harvard? i think my quantitative scores can only help me in getting an admission into Harvard.

If Harvard told you it's competitive, go ahead and apply! Good luck--write a great essay, and I'm sure you'll be happy.

Got accepted into Emory. I choose GLOBAL HEALTH IN INFECTIOUS DISEASES.