Is getting a masters a mistake?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gg3636

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I'm seeking some advice on whether you think getting a masters might be right for me.

Some quick background info: Completed this past cycle without success. Great GPA (3.8) with lots of clinical experience and average research experience, but a quant GRE score in 28th percentile. Process was frustrating, as I feel 100% confident in my abilities to complete graduate level work, I'm just not good at geometry (hence why I did not go into geometry... ugh). If I didn't complete the masters, I would be taking a year off to work as a mental health tech (am having difficult obtaining RA positions) and would retake the GRE. But I'm not sure how much I could improve that score, so taking this path intimidates me a little. (I will not have to take out any loans for graduate study, so weighing cost of masters vs. getting a salary for a year is not a number 1 concern for me, but of course is a slight factor).

Now for the masters info: I applied to PsyD programs this cycle, was accepted at one I hated and ended up declining my offer at, and waitlisted as a top 10 applicant at another that I loved. I was never accepted off that waitlist, but the school offered me admission to their masters. They assured me that as long as I did well, I should get into their PsyD considering I did so well this cycle without their masters, and that most if not all of my credits would transfer, as I would be taking the same credits as needed to complete the doctorate.

This is where my concerns come in. By comparing class listings, I wouldn't be taking enough of the same classes to completely chop off a year of the doctorate, but I would be taking around 75%. So it seems if I did eventually get accepted, I would be somewhere between cohorts. However, the doctoral students there apply for practicum in the spring of their first year, so I would've missed the boat on that if I did get into the doctoral program. I would also be behind on dissertation research etc. Because of this, I'm concerned I may not be able to chop off years, only credits.

I really don't want this degree to end up taking 7+ years instead of the original 5 I thought it would, but I'm also willing to do what I need to do so I can have the career that I want.

I've been emailing back and forth with the admissions counselor, but wanted to get the opinion of some people who aren't hoping to get a hefty check from me :) Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!

Members don't see this ad.

What's the debt level of this masters (2 years) and PsyD (4ish years) gonna look like when it's all said and done?
I'm extremely lucky and have an outside source paying for my education, so none. But I may have to figure something out for living expenses (not rent, just things like groceries, gas, etc), although I have a decent amount in savings to work off of for a few years. The course load in the summer of the masters does not seem too intensive either, so I would be hoping to work then to replenish my savings a little. So the cost of the masters and PsyD aren't of major concern to me, thankfully.

Members don't see this ad :)
Cost should always be a concern, what's the cost of the not investing that 6 figures and watching it grow? There's always a cost, one way or another. Depends on the PsyD, but if it's one of the diploma mills, it will limit where you can work if you don't get an accredited internship and such, so there is more opportunity cost and whatnot. If you want to go the fastest way, there are plenty of ways to go about it (Argosy, Alliant, Albizu). If you want to go the right way, it may take an extra year or two.

Cost should always be a concern, what's the cost of the not investing that 6 figures and watching it grow? There's always a cost, one way or another.
Agreed. But I am unable to invest the six figures. I either use the money for education, or I don't get it. But, I do agree that I could be saving my money for the year that I work. Although, salary would be around $25k, and most would probably go to my rent. So, not too much gain back, although some. It is a consideration, I just don't think it is enough at this point to make or break it for me (considering I could also work for two summers in the masters and potentially make the same amount).

Depends on the PsyD, but if it's one of the diploma mills, it will limit where you can work if you don't get an accredited internship and such, so there is more opportunity cost and whatnot. If you want to go the fastest way, there are plenty of ways to go about it (Argosy, Alliant, Albizu). If you want to go the right way, it may take an extra year or two.
Agreed here as well. Thats why I said:
I really don't want this degree to end up taking 7+ years instead of the original 5 I thought it would, but I'm also willing to do what I need to do so I can have the career that I want.
It is a partially funded PsyD with a very good reputation and match rate (Not Rutgers or Baylor, but it is always talked about favorably on this forum).
Ignoring the debt question for now as I know I am a weird case, what else would you consider?

The ideal would probably be a masters where you could get some more research experience and retaking the GRE. I don't know what your verbal is, but that quant score should at least be above 50-60%. If you can get both of those in, fully funded Phd/PsyDs are in play. Sometimes classes can be opted out of at the faculty's discretion after you get into a doctoral program, but it's quite variable.

The ideal would probably be a masters where you could get some more research experience and retaking the GRE. I don't know what your verbal is, but that quant score should at least be above 50-60%. If you can get both of those in, fully funded Phd/PsyDs are in play. Sometimes classes can be opted out of at the faculty's discretion after you get into a doctoral program, but it's quite variable.
My verbal was 75% percentile if I'm remembering correctly.
Your point brings me to another question. The masters I was accepted to has two tracks: a thesis track or general track. Thesis track would prepare me well for a PhD I think, but I would be missing out on a lot of those credit transfers for the PsyD at the same school. Even after completing the masters, I plan on applying to schools other than the same university's PsyD (including probably some more practice oriented PhD's because why not if I'm gonna complete a full blown masters) but I would be genuinely happy just to stay at that PsyD program if it meant I could cut down on time the most because I really did love the program. Do you think I could set myself up okay for either option if I complete the general track but get heavily involved in some faculty research (even if not my own thesis)? Or do you think the general track would only be smart if I opted to stay at the university, as credit transfers can be variable as you said?

What is it that you would like to do for a career?

What is it that you would like to do for a career?
I would like to work as a psychologist for children and adolescents, perhaps in an inpatient setting but maybe private practice. I'm really interested in assessment, which is why I'm pursuing the doctoral route rather than trying to obtain a licensed masters degree.

I honestly would not even consider the credit transfer in my decision making process. At the majority of places, it saves you a year, max. A short time, in the scheme of things. I'd focus more on the fit and training for the program I was interested in. Additionally, factoring in their prac placements in areas I want to eventually work in, and their matching and EPPP stats.

Reactions: 1 user
I agree with not weighting the credit transfer issues too much. I think it's just hard to determine how different universities/programs would view transfer credits and whether or not they would "accept" them as meeting their own program requirements. It seems like there are not hard and fast rules for transfer credits in many cases and that ultimately the people in charge of your new program basically end up making a judgment call about which credits count and which do not. That was the case at my program for students who entered with master's degrees at least, so take that n =1 for what it's worth, but I wouldn't be surprised if that's the case with at least some other programs.

I agree with not weighting the credit transfer issues too much. I think it's just hard to determine how different universities/programs would view transfer credits and whether or not they would "accept" them as meeting their own program requirements. It seems like there are not hard and fast rules for transfer credits in many cases and that ultimately the people in charge of your new program basically end up making a judgment call about which credits count and which do not. That was the case at my program for students who entered with master's degrees at least, so take that n =1 for what it's worth, but I wouldn't be surprised if that's the case with at least some other programs.

Generally, the faculty admissions committee meets and compares the syllabus with the class already taken and decides if it meets the requirement for the class that is offered at the new program. Or, if it's not a required class, if it meets the rigor and curriculum necessary to count as an elective credit.

Reactions: 1 users
Agreed, dont focus on the transfer too much. There is a lot of variability- sometimes it's a committee and other times its individual faculty for the class. There are a lot of good reasons to transfer or not transfer things is - sometimes its content equivalence, sometimes it's the name of the class (stupid, but this can be a real issue with some licensing boards), sometimes there may be larger departmental needs at play, etc.

Get a thesis done and get research experience during your masters. Become a strong researcher with products to show you can perform in statistics, and boost your quant as much as you can. That will be the best outcome for doctoral admissions.