Is ENT the most competitive?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

McAllenHopeful

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know this is taking stock in a lot of different people within this network, but after reading threads in Derm and Uro and Ortho, I'm wondering if ENT is the hardest residency to get into. There's a thread on the Derm forum stating that average matching Step 1 scores are mid-230's, but there are 300 or so spots around the nation. Uro and Ortho threads both say that to match at the most competitive programs, you'll need a 230, but for other programs you can just aim for above average. It was said in an ENT thread that you need to shoot for a 235 just to match, and I think I remember reading that there were only 150 or so ENT spots in the nation. So I guess what I'm wondering is if ENT is the hardest specialty to get into.

Members don't see this ad.

McAllenHopeful said:
I know this is taking stock in a lot of different people within this network, but after reading threads in Derm and Uro and Ortho, I'm wondering if ENT is the hardest residency to get into. There's a thread on the Derm forum stating that average matching Step 1 scores are mid-230's, but there are 300 or so spots around the nation. Uro and Ortho threads both say that to match at the most competitive programs, you'll need a 230, but for other programs you can just aim for above average. It was said in an ENT thread that you need to shoot for a 235 just to match, and I think I remember reading that there were only 150 or so ENT spots in the nation. So I guess what I'm wondering is if ENT is the hardest specialty to get into.

Not sure about that. Integrated Plastics and Derm come to mind when talking about uber-competitive residencies.

From what I understand, average Step 1 score for ENT is ~237 (I think). So yes, ENT is competitive as hell. Just not sure it's the "most" competitive.

I vote for derm way before oto for the hardest to get into. There may be more derm spots, but there are also many more people wanting to make $$$ with the sweet lifestyle of a dermatologist.