Is ENT right for me?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

flip a coin

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
When I first started medical school I completely dedicated my life to the medical field. Now that I am a third year, some things have changed. I had a close friend who died shortly after finishing his education. I also started a family. These events made me realize that the most important thing in my life is friends and family. I don't want medicine to define me. I just want it to be a part of my life.

Anyway, I just got my board scores back, and I did pretty well ( >260). I have been thinking about going into ENT, but I am not sure if the lifestyle is too much for me. Honestly, I don't want to work more then 50 hours a week for the rest of my life. I can get through five years but not much more. Basically, I want to make enough money that I don't have to work all the time. I also want to make enough money, so I can have time to do charity work.

Does ENT fit this? Is there a better fit?

ps I cannot do something like radiology. I love the OR.

Members don't see this ad.

OR, interesting medicine, occuloplastics, and decent reimbursement with 50hr week.
Next to Ophtho is Derm
flip a coin said:
When I first started medical school I completely dedicated my life to the medical field. Now that I am a third year, some things have changed. I had a close friend who died shortly after finishing his education. I also started a family. These events made me realize that the most important thing in my life is friends and family. I don't want medicine to define me. I just want it to be a part of my life.

Anyway, I just got my board scores back, and I did pretty well ( >260). I have been thinking about going into ENT, but I am not sure if the lifestyle is too much for me. Honestly, I don't want to work more then 50 hours a week for the rest of my life. I can get through five years but not much more. Basically, I want to make enough money that I don't have to work all the time. I also want to make enough money, so I can have time to do charity work.

Does ENT fit this? Is there a better fit?

ps I cannot do something like radiology. I love the OR.

no greater than 50 hours a week is tough in general considering (I think...people correct me if I'm wrong) Derm is about the only one that is truly under the 50 hour average...which 50 hours really isn't that much. My dad worked about 60 to 70 hours a week as a radiologist and I still saw him all the time....took us on trips, went to my games, etc. He does all the interventional stuff to get his procedure fix I guess. I can't offer a significant input into what speciality but don't let a little bit of a rut/downpoint decide the rest of your career...I understand you love your family but on the same note after so many years the kids do go to college and you'll still have your same speciality.....which if picked on the sheer fact that it involves less hours may not lead to the best of job satisfaction. (all generic stuff you have heard a dozen times I know...) Truth is unless you are a complete workaholic or in trauma surgery/neuro or one of those with freakishly high demands you'll be able to make plenty of time with family.....any field of medicine will give you plenty of money to support a family......some will do more than others but compared to the average american family you'll be ok no matter what. :p

You can do almost anything part time these days, but the cut in reimbursement is significant. Working 50-60 hours is not that much (5 days a week x 7 am to 5 pm = 50 hours). That leaves dinner and weekends free. I love oto, in fact just started private practice (saw my first 5 patients today), and couldn't imagine wanting to part-time it. Oto, ophtho, uro, and derm surg are all options for the "lifestyle" surgeon.