All Branch Topic (ABT) Is COT required for Active Duty Tours(Away rotations)?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BustaE

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently a second year student and I am trying to plan out my rotations for third year. I realize that I won't be scheduling my ADT rotations until the beginning of my fourth year but I have a question. I wasn't able to go to COT due to the government shutdown, it took a while for my application to go through so when I got accepted into AF HPSP it was too late to go to COT in between my 1st and 2nd year. There are no other times I can go until after I graduate. Away rotations are extremely important but I thought I read somewhere that COT is required in order to do them. Does anyone know if this is true? If so am I completely screwed?

Members don't see this ad.

It isn't necessary in the Navy. I was at ODS last summer and there were several guys who were there just prior to starting their internships. They had done away rotations at Navy hospitals. I'm not sure exceptions were made, but I'm guess it's not that uncommon. You'll want to look up how to put on your uniform, though, prior to going. That's probably the biggest reason to do it before your away rotations.

You need to set up your 4th year away rotations at the beginning of 3rd year (a full year in advance). Don't wait to set up these rotations as some places such as San Antonio go quick. As far as needing COT, you might be able to do your rotations without it. Call the physician education branch now to inquire.

Thanks a lot. I really appreciate the replies. I did find out that COT is required for most audition rotations since they are on base. So I will go to COT for my vacation month next June then audition rotations in August and September most likely.