Is being chief resident worth it?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sea Otter

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Particularly if you aren’t going into fellowship. We have one chief and they do the scheduling/administrative meetings plus helping with interview days (an aspect I’d enjoy actually). Financial bonus of chiefdom isn’t huge. But those who are chiefs talk about the leadership experience, networking, CV boost, etc. Not sure if it actually helps with job prospects? Obviously everyone’s situation is different but I’d appreciate any thoughts from older and/or wiser folks. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Only do it if you’re genuinely interested in doing it. Especially if you’re not planning on doing a fellowship.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN

Reactions: 1 user
Leadership experience is always helpful.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I definitely think it helped me get my fellowship.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN

Agree, I think it was helpful for me to match fellowship. I think it helped get me more interviews. I don't know how much it would help just getting a job unless it was very competitive, and even then....

I was an academic chief and gave lectures. We had 2 admin chiefs who did the scheduling. So in a class of six, half were chiefs. Not that special. This looks nice on a CV. That's about it. Residency is small, hence there are many chiefs In the applicant pool, plenty of good jobs and fellowships for the non-chiefs. This role will require many hours of added work, calls, and emails, you could otherwise avoid. Often falls to the person who has the hardest time saying no or generally has fewest interpersonal conflicts at work. If improving your program or running it fairly is a calling, this is for you. Badge of honor of sorts, yes. But it's not going to open whole new tiers of opportunity for you.

I would think it would help you get interviews for competitive fellowships, but that’s probably it. I didn’t want to be a chief ever. I have enough trouble taking care of myself and research was more important to me.

Reactions: 1 user
As a stepping stone...absolutely not