is becoming a dentist really worth it?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cody12345

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey guys!

i have been thinking about career choices lately, and im thinking if dentistry is really worth it or not for me. i would really really apreciate it if you guys could read this over and help me decide.

- if i decide to become a dentist, my parents will pay for undergrad + dental school - i will graduate 100% debt free (yes i realize im very lucky)
- im not passionate about dentistry, nor do i care about teeths/mouths - however, i can deal with it. the main reasons im going into denistry is for the money, good lifestyle, respect, treating patients/helping people, and i like the fact that i can start a practice and work for myself.
- i dont like science, nor do i hate it - however i do well in it. also im not really looking forward to the insane rigors of dental school, although im sure i can handle it.
- i dont really want to work a 9 to 5 my whole life - i would rather work at home and do things whenever i want.
- i plan on staying single for life, and i dont want kids (dont ask why, its just personal preference). obviously i do not want to live in a rural area as a single male, but apparently large cities are too saturated with dentists, so a rural area/town might be my only choice. also i dont want to commute over a long distance.

do you guys think dentistry is a good choice for me? or should i pursue something else?

Members don't see this ad.

Sounds like dentistry is not your cup of tea. I would be something else. Business entrepreneurship maybe?

hey guys!

i have been thinking about career choices lately, and im thinking if dentistry is really worth it or not for me. i would really really apreciate it if you guys could read this over and help me decide.

- if i decide to become a dentist, my parents will pay for undergrad + dental school - i will graduate 100% debt free (yes i realize im very lucky)
- im not passionate about dentistry, nor do i care about teeths/mouths - however, i can deal with it. the main reasons im going into denistry is for the money, good lifestyle, respect, treating patients/helping people, and i like the fact that i can start a practice and work for myself.
- i dont like science, nor do i hate it - however i do well in it. also im not really looking forward to the insane rigors of dental school, although im sure i can handle it.
- i dont really want to work a 9 to 5 my whole life - i would rather work at home and do things whenever i want.
- i plan on staying single for life, and i dont want kids (dont ask why, its just personal preference). obviously i do not want to live in a rural area as a single male, but apparently large cities are too saturated with dentists, so a rural area/town might be my only choice. also i dont want to commute over a long distance.

do you guys think dentistry is a good choice for me? or should i pursue something else?

I don't think you'll find many whom admittedly say "I love teeth" or "I love people's mouths" lol... so your safe there.

Your reasons to want dentistry seem a little shallow, but not too far off from everyone elses, so your safe there.

As far as NOT WANTING TO WORK 9 to 5.... this could be a problem. Because dentistry (or most other jobs) will be a 9 to 5. The advantage of dentistry is, you don't have to do it 5 days a week. Its not uncommon for dentists in their late 30s and 40s to work only 3.5 to 4 days a week.... And also, its more like 10 to 6.

Overall, if you can do well in undergrad sciences, this will give you an approximation whether you can handle dental school sciences.

Man I WISH I had someone to cover my undergrad + dental tuition. I'd finish dental school with zero debt and high chance for 6-figure income.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sounds like dentistry is not your cup of tea. I would be something else. Business entrepreneurship maybe?

i was considering becoming a dentist and starting a practice, OR becoming an entrepreneur and starting some kind of business. i feel like i would rather be an entrepreneur working at home, although it is a lot riskier and i dont even know what kind of business i would start.

damn this is a tough decision...

As the saying goes... Do what you love, love what you do.

Obviously, this doesn't reflect you and dentistry. I have two friends, both lawyers, who went into the law profession for the same reason: money. Well, they are both very unhappy. They are both successful financially but dread waking up every morning and view their lives as a daily grind.

One is seriously seeking a new career, stating that he doesn't want to waste his short life being miserable. The other one is willing to stick it out, but I'm sure he'll leave the profession someday too.

I always believed that no matter what you do in life, as long as you're great at it, then you'll make money. But you won't be great at something if you don't have the passion for it.

Everyone has a 30-40 year career before retirement. That is a very long time. I would rather spend those years doing what makes me happy.

As the saying goes... Do what you love, love what you do.

Obviously, this doesn't reflect you and dentistry. I have two friends, both lawyers, who went into the law profession for the same reason: money. Well, they are both very unhappy. They are both successful financially but dread waking up every morning and view their lives as a daily grind.

One is seriously seeking a new career, stating that he doesn't want to waste his short life being miserable. The other one is willing to stick it out, but I'm sure he'll leave the profession someday too.

I always believed that no matter what you do in life, as long as you're great at it, then you'll make money. But you won't be great at something if you don't have the passion for it.

Everyone has a 30-40 year career before retirement. That is a very long time. I would rather spend those years doing what makes me happy.

like i wrote above, i feel like my true passion would be becoming an entrepreneur, and starting some kind of business working at home. i am very ambitious and i have the dedication, i am just worried about this because i have no business ideas at the moment.

hey guys!

If they're paying, why not consider other professional schools? Pharmacy, Law, PA, etc. Any number of these pays well and might interest you more.

Good enough for me, you're honest, which many people can't even say in their own heads about this whole thing, bravo. This is actually a good point, which I don't think should deter you from dentistry.

No one looks forward to it (except a few nutjobs, many of which will change their minds); good that you feel you can handle it and the sciences, that's important (you don't have to like science courses).

Not sure what to tell you here, this is probably the biggest baddie on your list, and another reason you might consider other fields. Though the whole "work at home" thing is going a bit too far, and something I hope you're willing to give up.

I say go for it if you cannot think of another career that interests you more. Dentistry will be a great career move, and if you make the choice and at least get through it, you'll have a doctoral degree with zero debt. If you end up hating it you can do something else. I think anyone entering any field should be prepared for the possibility it won't work out.

Best of luck.

thanks for the help so far guys!

i have a few questions:

1. if i decide to pursue dentistry, then i will probably do a 1 year residency after dental school, for some extra experience. after i complete the residency, will i be capable of starting/running my own practice right after? i would obviously do research and read books about this, during dental school/residency. i do not want to work for anyone, i would prefer to start working for myself right off the bat.

2. if i decide to start a practice from scratch, will a bank give me a loan of ~400k-600k? remember i will have no debt from school. i am just worried a bank wouldnt be willing to lend this kind of money to a new dentist.

hey guys!

Invest in real-estate now! Prices are low and will go up.
If you don't like science don't do it, get a business degree.

I would never do anything just for the money.
Also when it comes down to the interview to get into dental school, you will have to lie about how enthusiastic you are about dentistry. I'm sure they won't be convinced unless you're an awesome liar.

Invest in real-estate now! Prices are low and will go up.
If you don't like science don't do it, get a business degree.

I would never do anything just for the money.
Also when it comes down to the interview to get into dental school, you will have to lie about how enthusiastic you are about dentistry. I'm sure they won't be convinced unless you're an awesome liar.

if i decide to become a dentist, i will not be looking forward to the interviews......i think they are bullsht. whats the point of interviews if every applicant is going to memorize all their answers, and 95% of students will lie about their answers (i.e. why dentistry?)

i have a few questions:

1. if i decide to pursue dentistry, then i will probably do a 1 year residency after dental school, for some extra experience. after i complete the residency, will i be capable of starting/running my own practice right after? i would obviously do research and read books about this, during dental school/residency. i do not want to work for anyone, i would prefer to start working for myself right off the bat.

2. if i decide to start a practice from scratch, will a bank give me a loan of ~400k-600k? remember i will have no debt from school. i am just worried a bank wouldnt be willing to lend this kind of money to a new dentist.

I don't know about the loan part but starting a practice from scratch takes time and of course money. Think about your first day/ first week/ first month open. Will you have enough patients coming in to pay the bills?
If you want to be your own boss right away you can buy an existing dental practice. I know a few dentists that started their own practices from scratch but they are doing it gradually. They are employees elsewhere and their new practices are open 2 days a week.

Good luck in whatever you decide

hey guys!

I'll be blunt & honest. You sounds very young and naive. Take some time to explore a few real jobs and see where your passion lies. Volunteer at a dental office, dental lab, etc. It'll give you some perceptive. How else will people learn about their students if not through interviews? It is also a weeding process for those who do not have what they are looking for. Job interviews also serve this purpose.

Realize that you must make compromises and Hardwork is needed for success in every profession. You can't expect the best things in life for yourself, if you're not willing to dig your claws in the dirt to plant the seed to bear the fruit of your future. You're not willing to go through the rigor of dental school, but you want all the rewards?

People who enjoy what they do will do a good job for a long time.
If you can only "bare" it, it'll be 4 years off your life & a mortgage payment for your parents. Follow your passion, but be realistic.

Last edited:

i have a few questions:

If your parents were willing to drop 400k on your education... surely they'd be willing to be your co-signer for the 500k+ business loan

Although, with dentists whom have no debt, they tend to have no trouble obtaining that kinda loan (assuming ofc you have a good credit score)

WE ARE ALL GETTING A HEAD OF OUR SELVES.... It seems to me you haven't started undergrad yet. Get some pre-dental sciences under your belt, get a feel for what these sciences feel like, then you'll be able to judge how much you enjoy sciences and whether you can handle it.

Members don't see this ad :)
if i decide to become a dentist, i will not be looking forward to the interviews......i think they are bullsht. whats the point of interviews if every applicant is going to memorize all their answers, and 95% of students will lie about their answers (i.e. why dentistry?)

Hence: awesome liar

What about law school? Maybe consider another direction?
Maybe the other end? Podiatry school?

Honestly, then why are you here posting? People are not going to try to convince you to become a dentist (there isn't a shortage I assure you), because in all your posts; you have not indicated once why dentistry alone...hell, why not MD, DO, PharmD, or even DVM. If you don't want pursue dentistry...fine, you're not hurting anyones feelings...drop it, and join a business forum.

Honestly, then why are you here posting? People are not going to try to convince you to become a dentist (there isn't a shortage I assure you), because in all your posts; you have not indicated once why dentistry alone...hell, why not MD, DO, PharmD, or even DVM. If you don't want pursue dentistry...fine, you're not hurting anyones feelings...drop it, and join a business forum.

+1 :thumbup:

here is why i dont want to go into those other fields:

medicine:
- dont want to do a 3-5 year residency - i want to start working asap.
- most specialties offer a bad lifestyle - generally 60+ hours a week, always on-call.
- not as easy to be your own boss, compared to dentistry.
- fear that i wont get into a preferred specialty.

pharmacy:
- pharmacists basically make 90-120k for their entire careers - their salary is limited.
- monotonous and boring (i dont mean to offend anyone, this is just my opinion)
- not as easy to be your own boss, compared to dentistry.

not interested in veterinary medicine or optometry.

I'll be blunt & honest. You sounds very young and naive. Take some time to explore a few real jobs and see where your passion lies. Volunteer at a dental office, dental lab, etc. It'll give you some perceptive. How else will people learn about their students if not through interviews? It is also a weeding process for those who do not have what they are looking for. Job interviews also serve this purpose.

Realize that you must make compromises and Hardwork is needed for success in every profession. You can't expect the best things in life for yourself, if you're not willing to dig your claws in the dirt to plant the seed to bear the fruit of your future. You're not willing to go through the rigor of dental school, but you want all the rewards?

People who enjoy what they do will do a good job for a long time.
If you can only "bare" it, it'll be 4 years off your life & a mortgage payment for your parents. Follow your passion, but be realistic.

i am willing to work really hard, and i have the dedication. just because i said i am not looking forward to dental school, doesnt mean i wont work my ass off and go all out. i know that pursuing dentistry will require tons of hard work, during school and outside of school, and i am willing to do what i have to do.

about the interviews: i personally believe they should be more casual, like a conversation, to judge the applicants personality, etc. i do not like the structured questions, because it is only encouraging students to memorize answers and lie. im not complaining about the current interview style, i am willing to do it.

So again, I'll ask...

"i feel like i would rather be an entrepreneur working at home, although it is a lot riskier and i dont even know what kind of business i would start."

becoming a dentist and starting a dental practice has a high chance of success, because it is a needed service and it has been proven to be effective time and time again.

on the other hand, if i decided to be an entrepreneur, i dont even have any good business ideas in mind. sure, i would love to run a business at home, but its very risky, especially without a clear idea.

look, if you have nothing positive to contribute, then dont post at all. i dont know how you can just assume im lazy and unmotivated, i didnt post anything that suggested that. im still in high school, yet ive done 50-100 hours of research on dentistry and how to get into dental school, etc. most guys my age just get drunk and do drugs all day, without even thinking about their futures. meanwhile im comparing different careers and asking for opinions. several people in this thread provided helpful information, however if you dont want to help, then just refrain from posting next time.

look, if you have nothing positive to contribute, then dont post at all. i dont know how you can just assume im lazy and unmotivated, i didnt post anything that suggested that. im still in high school, yet ive done 50-100 hours of research on dentistry and how to get into dental school, etc. most guys my age just get drunk and do drugs all day, without even thinking about their futures. meanwhile im comparing different careers and asking for opinions. several people in this thread provided helpful information, however if you dont want to help, then just refrain from posting next time.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/forumdisplay.php?f=420

i am willing to work really hard, and i have the dedication. just because i said i am not looking forward to dental school, doesnt mean i wont work my ass off and go all out. i know that pursuing dentistry will require tons of hard work, during school and outside of school, and i am willing to do what i have to do.

about the interviews: i personally believe they should be more casual, like a conversation, to judge the applicants personality, etc. i do not like the structured questions, because it is only encouraging students to memorize answers and lie. im not complaining about the current interview style, i am willing to do it.

i had quite a few interviews, and actually most of them were super casual and conversational.

i had quite a few interviews, and actually most of them were super casual and conversational.

really? thats interesting, i did not know that.

once again thanks to everyone that helped me out.

does anyone know how to delete this thread? i cant seem to find the "delete" button when i click on "edit" in my 1st post...

I don't really know much yet but if I could add something,

You say you want to own your own business, well there are millions of other things you can do as a business besides dentistry. I feel like the business of providing health should be left for people who have a true passion for it, not people who just want to own their own business.

Stick to something a little less serious/crucial.

Warning, I didn't read the rest of the thread, meh.

Why don't you just start your undergraduate degree and shadow some dentists? See if you like it. You will grow a lot through your undergrad years. Wait and see what happens.

like i wrote above, i feel like my true passion would be becoming an entrepreneur, and starting some kind of business working at home. i am very ambitious and i have the dedication, i am just worried about this because i have no business ideas at the moment.

Well, you don't have to have a concrete business idea at the very moment. It takes time to develop an idea.

Perhaps a more suitable option is to obtain an MBA in entrepreneurship. At least through this route, you'll acquire a broad range of business skills and knowledge (Marketing, Accounting, Finance, Operations, Economics, Supply Chain, Data Analysis, etc) which will serve you well when you do get that million dollar idea someday.

Ok so I quit reading after 2-3 responses from Cody. Seriously kid, you need to go out into the world and experience life, and by this I don't mean asking mommy and daddy if they will pay for your flat in Europe for the summer. I mean go live life for a while. Get a few part time jobs to explore the difference between a desk job, a craft job and on location jobs. Take a variety of courses in business and the sciences, even if you do choose dentistry the business classes will be relevant. I don't mean to sound rude, but you yourself are saying that you have no idea what you want to do and somehow you hope that complete strangers, whose best interest would be to limit the competition, will help you decide. REALLY!??!?!?!?

Ok... I'll give some unconventional advice.

You're still very young and yet you are already trying to plan your life on a piece of paper.

Go out enjoy life for what it is right now and make some mistakes. :xf:

Cody, after reading your posts, I dont think you'll be very successful at much of anything with your current attitude... much less an entrepreneur.

IMO the best thing you can do is invest in your future self by joining the military. I suggest the airforce as it will provide you with diverse occupational opportunities.

Good luck

Lots of things can change from now until then.

You're still in high school right now, so there are still many hoops to jump through before you enter dental school.

It seems like your main directions are dental school and business.
If I were you, I would enrol into a business program and take the dental school science prereqs and see which courses you enjoyed the most.

If you still choose to pursue dental school, you would need to ask a dentist to shadow him and see if the type of work he does fits your image of dentistry.
Then you would have to finish your bachelors degree and write the Dental Admissions test.

The road is still very long, and you still have a lot of time to decide what you want to do with your life.

Best of luck.

My, my! Such a short fuse. Since you wanted to operate out of your house, or should we say, your parent's house, you were directed to the website to choose from a comfortable selection of sofas, recliners, chair, sectionals, loveseats, sleepers. Incidentally, it is unlikely that in the 50-100 hours of research on dentistry you encountered the word teeths.

I think you should find a career in something you would enjoy. Don't do dentistry for the things you listed or it will make you miserable.

It seems to me like there is money in your family, why not start a business where you can work from home and still make a lot of money. You can get start up with funds from your family.

This quote might actually apply to your situation:

Find a job you love and you’ll never work a day in your life. - Confucius

First, I doubt you have done 50-100 hours of "research." If you had then you would probably know a little bit more about the fit of the career with your personality. Everyone so far has been helpful, most of just been honest and you just don't want to accept it. You are in high school. Get some experiences under your belt and respect the views of people who have already been through your position without sounding like a spoiled kid.

Also, most your kids don't "just get drunk and do drugs all day." Having a social life (or personality for that matter) doesn't consist of doing rows and rows of coke while chasing the magic dragon all day. There are people who understand moderation and how to not throw their lives away all the while actually going out and socializing.

It would be best for you to lighten up or college is going to be a horrible experience.

Good luck. Best advice is to get some real world experience.

My, my! Such a short fuse. Since you wanted to operate out of your house, or should we say, your parent's house, you were directed to the website to choose from a comfortable selection of sofas, recliners, chair, sectionals, loveseats, sleepers. Incidentally, it is unlikely that in the 50-100 hours of research on dentistry you encountered the word teeths.

Haha. I was thinking the same.

First, I doubt you have done 50-100 hours of "research." If you had then you would probably know a little bit more about the fit of the career with your personality. Everyone so far has been helpful, most of just been honest and you just don't want to accept it. You are in high school. Get some experiences under your belt and respect the views of people who have already been through your position without sounding like a spoiled kid.

Also, most your kids don't "just get drunk and do drugs all day." Having a social life (or personality for that matter) doesn't consist of doing rows and rows of coke while chasing the magic dragon all day. There are people who understand moderation and how to not throw their lives away all the while actually going out and socializing.

It would be best for you to lighten up or college is going to be a horrible experience.

Good luck. Best advice is to get some real world experience.

Haha. I was thinking the same.

*lines of coke and puffing the magic dragon

i'm with you 100% may, this kid sounds like a spoiled jackass and really needs to step into reality for a few years...but that was a total "teeths" moment haha

*lines of coke and puffing the magic dragon

i'm with you 100% may, this kid sounds like a spoiled jackass and really needs to step into reality for a few years...but that was a total "teeths" moment haha

Touche on the first one, but the second I was thinking more along the lines of chasing the heroine dragon. OP made it sound a lot more serious than smoking weed. All HSers are now meth-heads I heard.

hey guys!

Based on what you have written so far, dentistry doesn't seem like the best choice for you. I am worried about statements such as "I don't like science", "not looking forward to dental school", and "I could deal with dentistry although I'm not that interested in it." I'm not in dental school quite yet but I can tell you it's much more than just drilling and filling teeth--there's a lot of science in dentistry.

You do write a lot of things that scream "entrepreneur" to me. As an entrepreneur you could conceivably satisfy all your criteria in a job (i.e. not 9-5, short commute, work for self) though some of the criteria in a job seem somewhat shallow to me.

You might have a more fulfilling life if you started a business with a big idea, and then sell it off in an IPO and cash out. You don't have an idea now, but that doesn't mean you won't in the future. And know that most people who made it big were able to do so because they've had failed ideas before and did not give up.

You are still in high school and I guarantee you that you will change in many ways throughout college. Your personal priorities will change. Things will happen in your life that might change your goals. I would recommend keeping an open mind.

Touche on the first one, but the second I was thinking more along the lines of chasing the heroine dragon. OP made it sound a lot more serious than smoking weed. All HSers are now meth-heads I heard.

pretty sure the kids that were raised right were fine when we were in school and are still fine now...find it hard to believe that everything went to **** in a matter of a few years

also can we stop calling this kid an entrepreneur or saying that he should become one?! until you have some kind of accomplishment to back it up (i.e. a profitable business), entrepreneur is french for "unemployed."

Rock what are you talking about?

He's not too far from earning his HS diploma? I hear he is also under review for positions at Amway and Mary Kay:laugh:

also can we stop calling this kid an entrepreneur or saying that he should become one?! until you have some kind of accomplishment to back it up (i.e. a profitable business), entrepreneur is french for "unemployed."

If your parents can for 600K or whatever amount, then don't go to school. They can afford your expenses for life.

pretty sure the kids that were raised right were fine when we were in school and are still fine now...find it hard to believe that everything went to **** in a matter of a few years

Haha yeah. I was being sarcastic. I take it that this kid assumes anyone who partied in high school was a drunkard and will never accomplish anything in life.

Haha yeah. I was being sarcastic. I take it that this kid assumes anyone who partied in high school was a drunkard and will never accomplish anything in life.

no, i know...i was with you all along. kid's got another thing coming if he thinks he deserves some kind of medal for staying out of drugs and actually applying himself in any way, shape or form. then again, i'm not surprised...he comes off as exactly the kind of kid who would have been raised in a home that can afford to write a check for undergrad + grad school.

i have a few questions:

Hey cody I am New here so take what I say with a grain of salt..lol with that being Said I seen your post about being qualified for a loan from a bank. I'm not a Banker but my advise would be to take out the school loans which you already have the money for dental school and pay them back quickly(But not to quick) This will look good on your record as being credit and trust worthy and will give you a little more help in getting another loan. Remember Most people who get qualified for large loans are the people who don't need it. Good Luck

Wow, reading this was a slap in the face. Not only the original post, but many of your replies. If someone like you got into a dental school over me, I'd be straight up pissed. I actually WANT to be a dentist. I actually LIKE people's teeth, in fact it's often the first feature I notice about people. I actually DO like science, believe it or not. I DO want a 9 to 5 job so that I can be there for the family that I DO want and provide for them financially. I want to be a dentist so bad that I don't care how much I will be in debt. I DO want to live in a rural area, because I'm from one. I know what it's like to be 3 hours from a dental specialist and have 4 dentists for an entire county.

So, please, for the sake of dentistry and the patients, please get a different job where people won't be your second choice, where people won't be something you have to DEAL with.

Good luck trying to make it through an interview with your attitude.

Status
Not open for further replies.