Is becoming a certified medical scribe a "significant" application update?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sage of Pale Bones

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Recently I passed my scribe test and became a certified scribe. Given that and one of the schools I am applying to is Wayne (who seems the sending out one last batch of interviews before thanksgiving) I figured maybe I can pull a Hail Mary and just send them my scribe certification to remind them I exist and am being a productive human being (stated a medical scribe job). However the update portal scared me a bit when it said they only wanted "significant additions" to my application.

I plan to add just the certificate, as I hear it is bad form to send a letter of interest pre-interview. Would this help at all or just hurt me more?

In case it matters I applied as soon as It opened with a 510/3.9 (both sci and general) and am from Mi. Sadly, I have been meet with nothing but silence.

On a side note, I am thankful to this site and you all. I wish you all nothing but success! Enjoy your turkey day!

Members don't see this ad.

Don't worry about "form." Do what you have to do.

Nothing is going to hurt you. It will either help or it won't, and there is really no way to know without taking your shot. If you're close, it might or might not push you over the top. If you're not, nothing is going to make a difference.

There is absolutely no reason not to combine your certificate, or whatever you have, with a LOI. After all, if you weren't interested, you wouldn't be bothering with the update! :) Good luck!!!

Reactions: 1 user
Don't worry about "form." Do what you have to do.

Nothing is going to hurt you. It will either help or it won't, and there is really no way to know without taking your shot. If you're close, it might or might not push you over the top. If you're not, nothing is going to make a difference.

There is absolutely no reason not to combine your certificate, or whatever you have, with a LOI. After all, if you weren't interested, you wouldn't be bothering with the update! :) Good luck!!!
Do you think it would look weird by itself? I still feel a bit off about sending a LOI to a school I have not interviewed at. Thank you for the advice by the way!

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Nope. It would be fine either way. I just think it would be more impactful to not only tell them that you're alive and productive, but to also remind them what a great fit you are for their program by demonstrating interest and enthusiasm.

Honestly, do whatever feels right to you. I don't think these move the needle for most people, but it really is important for your own mental health to take your shot in order to not have any regrets later if things don't work out.

Recently I passed my scribe test and became a certified scribe. Given that and one of the schools I am applying to is Wayne (who seems the sending out one last batch of interviews before thanksgiving) I figured maybe I can pull a Hail Mary and just send them my scribe certification to remind them I exist and am being a productive human being (stated a medical scribe job). However the update portal scared me a bit when it said they only wanted "significant additions" to my application.

I plan to add just the certificate, as I hear it is bad form to send a letter of interest pre-interview. Would this help at all or just hurt me more?

In case it matters I applied as soon as It opened with a 510/3.9 (both sci and general) and am from Mi. Sadly, I have been meet with nothing but silence.

On a side note, I am thankful to this site and you all. I wish you all nothing but success! Enjoy your turkey day!
Nope.

Reactions: 1 users
Not in itself. Have any new grades to add since you applied? The combination of the two may be more effective.

But again, there’s not much to lose besides your time (assuming the school doesn’t prohibit update letters)