Is applying to both DO and MD school looked negatively upon?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

patch adams

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am going to begin the application process in June 2004 and I am wondering if there is a negative aspect to applying to both MD and DO schools. Why do I ask? Because, I understand that their philosphies are very different and I would not want to offend anyone. I am applying to both because my main goal is to be a doctor and my interest is primary care. Therefore, I am only applying to MD schools that focused on care-based medicine and preventitive medicine. I am going to applying to alot of DO schools because I feel that they more represent my personal philosophies, however, I have looked in to several MD school that are starting to sway toward the preventative medicine so those schools really interest me as well. One more aspect to applying to both types of schools is that there is not any DO school close to where I live and I am married so I have to think about jobs for my husband. His job requires a big international city. So, that is also a factor. I guess my main questions has to do with if this would be consider a negative to adcom committees?
I really am not a name oriented or material oriented type of person so my only goal is to go to medical regardless of what comes after my name when I finish.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi Patch!

I think your plan is solid and it shouldn't reflect negatively on you if you apply to both allo and osteo schools. I applied last year, and the only school that asked me to list what other schools I'm applying to is UNECOM, but they didn't seem to have a problem at all.

Personally, I don't think that the "philosophies" are *that* different. There may be varying emphases on certain areas, but like you said, it can all depend on the school, allo or osteo, and that sounds like a good way to narrow down the list of schools you want to apply to. Just like you, I chose to apply to schools based on "what" they are, not "who" they are.

Best of luck!

It's NOT looked on negatively at all. Osteopathic schools know that many if not most applicants apply to both to increase their chances of admission since the process is so random. I applied to 19 allopathic schools and I had to list all them for NOVA. I still got an interview and I was accepted. And they never asked about why I applied to both at my interview. At my other interviews at Osteopathic schools, I was never asked what schools I applied to.

Apply to as many and to whatever schools you feel you will fit in, whether they are DO or MD med schools. Good luck! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
NO!

listen to what the previous posters have said.

By all means, apply to both MD and DOs. Neither is looked down upon negatively since your ultimate goal is to become a doctor. Best wishes and good luck in the process.

Thank guys! I am getting sooooo excited!! The MCAT is just weeks and way and I feel like I am ready to go. I have been improving my scores everytime so I can't wait to see next this weekends test. I hope to see some of you guys in medical school!!

I can't wait!!