Employment & Professional Networking Is anyone concerned about this PRN trend?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OTgirl29

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Im currently in OT school, but sometimes
check out the job market out of curiosity to see what's out there. I'm finding a lot of PRN jobs (especially in hospitals) more than I am full time. Is anyone else concerned about this or have any insight to add?

Members don't see this ad.

Im currently in OT school, but sometimes
check out the job market out of curiosity to see what's out there. I'm finding a lot of PRN jobs (especially in hospitals) more than I am full time. Is anyone else concerned about this or have any insight to add?

Full time openings in hospital settings are not as common as PRN openings because typically full time staff enjoy good pay, benefits, and job satisfaction/security. It's a tougher setting to get into without any experience and working PRN can be a good way to get your foot in the door. I don't think there is a movement to replace full time positions with PRN therapists, only because the PRN hourly pay rate is high (~170% greater compared to full time at my job) and having consistent therapists each day is the best for the patient.

Full time openings in hospital settings are not as common as PRN openings because typically full time staff enjoy good pay, benefits, and job satisfaction/security. It's a tougher setting to get into without any experience and working PRN can be a good way to get your foot in the door. I don't think there is a movement to replace full time positions with PRN therapists, only because the PRN hourly pay rate is high (~170% greater compared to full time at my job) and having consistent therapists each day is the best for the patient.

Are hospital OTs a cost or revenue center?

Are hospital OTs a cost or revenue center?

Not really sure ha. I imagine the higher ups deal with this kind of stuff. Right now I'm just a treating therapist focusing on the patient in front of me.

Reactions: 1 user