Is an MPH worth it?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nmadicsoulsista

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been admitted to the Hopkins 11 mo MPH program and am tryin to decide what I should do. The program cost is steep and I am wondering if I would be better served in an MPH certificate program at JHU. I am hoping that some seasoned MPH holders can provide some perspective. My stats:

Education: MBA; BS Chemical eng
Work Exp: 9 yrs in biotech/pharma marketing

I am exploring several "new" career paths:

-Foundation employment with healthcare focus (ie Gates foundation)
-WHO/UN
-start a business with a healthcare focus

The MBA in me is looking at this from a cost perspective--will I get a return on this investment? Should I switch with a certificate from JHU instead of an MPH to make it more cost effective? I will attend the Admitted Students day on April 8 so will learn more at that time,however other perspectives are welcome.

For the community:
Just a note to students that had challenges in college that grades aren't everything--a well constructed SOP can go a long way.
Undergrad: 2.7
Grad: 3.3
Gre: (Learned at the last minute that my GMAT was too old to use) V: 630 M: 670 AW: 4.0
Volunteer exp: mostly education related
Work experience: 5 years using my eng degree; 9 years in various marketing roles at a major pharma/biotech.
Applied: Harvard, Columbia, Hopkins (all social behavior related MPH)
Admitted: Columbia, Hopkins
Rejected: Harvard

Members don't see this ad.

Your question is really interesting. For me, as someone just starting my career, the MPH is needed to get my foot in the door at companies and agencies to be competitive and for advancement. However, you seem to have a ton of work and life experience. I would call a career counselor at JH and talk to them. I bet an advisor or the program coordinator could give you advice too. If you feel like whomever you speak with at JH is just trying to sell you on the full program, give another school youve been accepted to a call. It couldn't hurt!

Good luck!

Well, there is the Loan Forgiveness program that was enacted in 2007 where if you work for a government agency or a charity (categories that include WHO and UN, I think?), your loans will be forgiven after 120 continuous payments in 10 years of employment at these places - which I think is a GREAT program.

Maybe it's just because I'm ignorant or because other people are considering the option of working in a non-NGO/charity private sector, but this sort of program makes an MPH worth whatever the cost of the degree is! Perhaps it's because I've always wanted to join an NGO since the start...

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, there is the Loan Forgiveness program that was enacted in 2007 where if you work for a government agency or a charity (categories that include WHO and UN, I think?), your loans will be forgiven after 120 continuous payments in 10 years of employment at these places - which I think is a GREAT program.

Maybe it's just because I'm ignorant or because other people are considering the option of working in a non-NGO/charity private sector, but this sort of program makes an MPH worth whatever the cost of the degree is! Perhaps it's because I've always wanted to join an NGO since the start...

I agree swaffles! I've been reading up on those programs lately and it is very reassuring. One thing that I can't seem to find info. about though is whether or not working at international NGOs qualifies? It doesn't explicitly say anywhere that it doesn't, but part of me would not be surprised if you were required to work for a U.S. organization. I hope not, as I am planning on going into global health!!

Do you know if the loan forgiveness program has income limits. I looked into it last year when I was applying to DrPH programs and I found the language a bit confusing. It seems like after a certain income (not necessarily that high either, maybe $50,000) that you had to have your loan paid off in 120 months. So in other words, they will forgive your loan but if you make even a decent salary, there won't be any loan to forgive.

If I'm wrong, let me know, because I would love to take advantage.

Do you know if the loan forgiveness program has income limits. I looked into it last year when I was applying to DrPH programs and I found the language a bit confusing. It seems like after a certain income (not necessarily that high either, maybe $50,000) that you had to have your loan paid off in 120 months. So in other words, they will forgive your loan but if you make even a decent salary, there won't be any loan to forgive.

If I'm wrong, let me know, because I would love to take advantage.

I was also under the impression that it depended on income to debt ratio.

i.e. earning 30K/year but only have 20k in loans wouldn't qualify as opposed to earning 60k but owing 100k.

Yes there are salary limits but they are based upon how much money you owe. As a general rule your one year salary needs to be less than your total debt to qualify so for instance if you make $50,000 a year to qualify you would need to have more than $50,000 of total student debt. The website http://projectonstudentdebt.org has easy to follow detailed breakdowns of the specifics of the law. If you owed $120,000 though you could make $100,000 a year and still qualify for income based repayment which is what you have to eligible for to get debt forgiveness.

Your question is really interesting. For me, as someone just starting my career, the MPH is needed to get my foot in the door at companies and agencies to be competitive and for advancement. However, you seem to have a ton of work and life experience. I would call a career counselor at JH and talk to them. I bet an advisor or the program coordinator could give you advice too. If you feel like whomever you speak with at JH is just trying to sell you on the full program, give another school youve been accepted to a call. It couldn't hurt!

Good luck!

Thanks. I like that idea. I recognize that I have a bit of a unique situation an would likely benefit from professional guidance.

Thanks for making me aware of this. Yeah we MBAs tend to whittle lots of things down to numbers. I may be a little too old to make this program worthwhile--I'd be 49 by the time I would realize any benefit! That just seems daunting. I have some savings (a Benefit to having 15 hrs of work experience) so if I move forward, I would probably minimize my number of loans.). I guess my inquiry is more career path motivated, not financially motivated. If I am convinced that an MPH would benefit me greatly, I will do it. If I can map out a career path that takes me where I want to go without the MPH, then I will pursue the lower financial cost option.

Thanks for making me aware of this. Yeah we MBAs tend to whittle lots of things down to numbers. I may be a little too old to make this program worthwhile--I'd be 49 by the time I would realize any benefit! That just seems daunting. I have some savings (a Benefit to having 15 hrs of work experience) so if I move forward, I would probably minimize my number of loans.). I guess my inquiry is more career path motivated, not financially motivated. If I am convinced that an MPH would benefit me greatly, I will do it. If I can map out a career path that takes me where I want to go without the MPH, then I will pursue the lower financial cost option.

Hmm, I think I understand what you're asking about, but perhaps not completely. Any MS program that you want to do will generally be two years long - at least for public health if you don't have previous health experience (med students and professionals seem to qualify for the one year program). I've been looking into doing international studies with public health, under a dual degree program, and since it's also a two year program, alone, at the same school, it also costs just as much. And if you plan on only going to schools with great reputations in the program you're looking at, it'll definitely cost more than the average programs.

Also, the list you've jotted down, with the Gates Foundation, WHO, UN, and the healthcare business idea - they all seem to be directly benefited from having a public health degree - possibly in public health admin. The next best degree seems to be International Studies and/or an MBA (which you luckily already have!). I mean, every non-profit always needs accountants and HR too but that seems far off base from the interests you've expressed.

In the end: if you want to go to a good college for whatever Masters program you choose, the cost will end up being around the same (assuming they're all two year programs). However, either International Studies/Global Affairs or Public Health will probably best qualify you for this loan, in terms of the career paths available.

Also, if you do a masters now and DON'T sign up for this loan forgiveness program, isn't your only option to pay loans even AFTER you're 49 (assuming you don't get scholarships in all hypothetical situations)?

I am exploring several "new" career paths:
-Foundation employment with healthcare focus (ie Gates foundation)
-WHO/UN
-start a business with a healthcare focus

One thing you didn't mention was what type of work you are specifically interested in doing at WHO, UN agencies, or Gates. Like any organizations, they need people in Human Resources, Information technology, communications/external relations, and other managerial positions, and you wouldn't need an MPH to work in that capacity. Are you targeting a specific type of job within these organziations? Have you seen some job postings from these organizations that you think would be a fit for you? Do you know which concentration or certificate you would pursue in order to work there?