Is an EM acting internship a requirement for applying to emergency medicine residencies?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tdod

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been asking peers and googling this and but I haven't found a straight answer.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

yes. Its probably the most important component of you app

95% (probably more) of programs won't consider you without at least 1 SLOE, which you can only get during a 4th year rotation, so yes i'd say realistically it is a requirement.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've been asking peers and googling this and but I haven't found a straight answer.

Thanks!

The answer is basically yes if you are a traditional 4th year applicant. If you are a nontraditional applicant (like a 4 year military gmo or someone who did another residency) you may be able to get away with it. But if you are are 4th year without two ais/sloes, you are setting yourself up for failure.

Reactions: 1 user
Agreed with the above. Rotations at EM residency programs -> get a SLOE (standardized letter of evaluation). To apply, 1 SLOE at the very minimal although I believe 2 SLOEs is expected/the standard for most EM programs.

I thought a SLOE is different from an acting internship? Isn't any away rotation at an institution that has an EM residency program able to write a SLOE?

I thought a SLOE is different from an acting internship? Isn't any away rotation at an institution that has an EM residency program able to write a SLOE?

You get a "standard letter of evaluation" (SLOE) from an "away" aka "externship" aka "acting internship" - some programs call it different things but it's all one. You get them from places that have EM residency programs; could be your home instituation + aways or all aways if your home does not have a residency program. You need at least one SLOE but the norm is to shoot for at least 2. Some say 3 is overkill if you're a strong student (step scores, performer, etc)

Some (all?) medical schools require at least one sub-internship during the fourth year. If I remember correctly, at the last place I was, there was a requirement for one medical and one surgical sub-i. A sub-internship had specific requirements apart from other fourth year rotations. I do not actually remember if there was an EM sub-i available, or if it was classified simply as a rotation.

However, residencies are interested in an EM rotation, and generally do not care how the medical school classifies it.

Reactions: 1 user