Is an August mcat too late this cycle?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WindyCityZete

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I’m wondering if an August mcat would be too late this cycle. I’m looking at either the August 8th or the 15th. I’m mostly applying to DO schools as my stats are more competitive for those schools and I’m a non traditional student. Any thoughts or feedback is appreciated. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

For DO, it shouldn't be an issue at all. For MD, I think you might be on the later side, but nobody can really say for sure for this cycle.

Kevin W, MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors

You should look up the admissions criteria for all the schools you’re applying to, since each school is dealing with the delays in their own way. I think AAMC should delay the date for transferring AMCAS applications to medical schools to a later date than July 10th. However, most of the schools I’m applying are treating this application cycle like previous ones, so there’s really no telling which MCAT test date is considered too late.

For DO, it shouldn't be an issue at all. For MD, I think you might be on the later side, but nobody can really say for sure for this cycle.

Kevin W, MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors
Thanks for the feedback! I reached out to most of the schools and like you said the DO schools are willing to even interview but not accept students without an MCAT score, but the few MD schools did mention that it may be late.

Members don't see this ad :)
You should look up the admissions criteria for all the schools you’re applying to, since each school is dealing with the delays in their own way. I think AAMC should delay the date for transferring AMCAS applications to medical schools to a later date than July 10th. However, most of the schools I’m applying are treating this application cycle like previous ones, so there’s really no telling which MCAT test date is considered too late.
Thanks for the reply! Most of the DO schools I reached out to said that they would interview without an MCAT score, but wouldn't accept any student until a score was available. The few MD schools I'm applying to said the same thing you stated, that they would treat this like any other application cycle.

Thanks for the reply! Most of the DO schools I reached out to said that they would interview without an MCAT score, but wouldn't accept any student until a score was available. The few MD schools I'm applying to said the same thing you stated, that they would treat this like any other application cycle.
What you are saying is true, but it maybe should be taken with a grain of salt. It is worth noting that in "any other application cycle," technically, schools would accept applications through November, and MCAT tests through September. Normally, that is pretty late, since people usually have applications in by Labor Day, and MCAT taken no later than June.

This year, a ton of applicants had tests from March-June canceled, and rescheduled to June-August. Treating this like any other cycle might very well not mean an August test is late this year, if literally thousands of people will be taking August tests through no fault of their own.