Is A+ still considered a 4.3?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jueves

#FreeJueves
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, so is A+ still a 4.3 or did they change it to 4.0? Asking because I keep hearing different answers.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not sure myself now since we do get A+ at my school but the grade conversion on adea shows only A (4.0) now

Exactly, which is why i'm confused lol

Most schools do not have A+ grades. AADSAS attempts to standardize every candidate's grades in the pool of applicants and so that is why it gets changed to a 4.0.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Is there a source where they changed it to 4.0?

It evens the playing field. Some schools don't use a A+ grading scale hence why for AMCAS they only go to A as the highest. Glad ADEA is following suit. It gives applicants who go to schools that give out A+s an entire grade bonus for each one they get. Which isn't fair at all for students going to schools that only give As.

Reactions: 8 users
Ah, this could kind of suck for Canadian undergraduate students. We're percentage based but schools have letter grade equivalents.

My school's grading scale was 80%-89% = A
& 90%+ = A+

But if they're going to consider an 80-89 a 3.0 that'll bring GPAs down a ton.

Ah, this could kind of suck for Canadian undergraduate students. We're percentage based but schools have letter grade equivalents.

& 90%+ = A+

If your transcript just shows percentages then that may be the case unfortunately. But my school just gives us letters on our transcript

It evens the playing field. Some schools don't use a A+ grading scale hence why for AMCAS they only go to A as the highest. Glad ADEA is following suit. It gives applicants who go to schools that give out A+s an entire grade bonus for each one they get. Which isn't fair at all for students going to schools that only give As.

I completely agree with you although wasn't this the original reason for reporting the +/- GPA as well as the GPA without +/-?

I completely agree with you although wasn't this the original reason for reporting the +/- GPA as well as the GPA without +/-?

Some schools don't report +/- at all (VCU), so that may be why.

& 90%+ = A+

Yeah, sadly schools like western have percentages. So I'm assuming that their "A's" become B's in the conversion scheme.

Members don't see this ad :)

& 90%+ = A+

I feel like they wouldn't do that and they'll just make 80-100%= A, just get rid of A+ so 80-100 would all be 4.0 and there just wouldn't be any 4.33.

I've never heard of an 80% being an A.

I don't think there's a US university, both dental school and undergrad, that does this.

Reactions: 3 users
I've never heard of an 80% being an A.

I don't think there's a US university, both dental school and undergrad, that does this.

He was referring to Canadian Schools

Doing that could easily end up hurting the student who doesn't get A+s at their school still. Let's say student 1 goes to a school without A+s gets a A(100) and a B (85)

Now student 2 goes to a school with A+s and gets an A+(100) and a B-(80)

Student 2 comes out with highway robbery despite getting lower scores. Student 2 with +/- has the same gpa calculation despite doing worst in classes. And without +\- Still has the same gpa calculation as student 1 Despite doing worst in a class.

A+s should never be worth a 4.33, it is just silly.

Reactions: 3 users
Ok so these past two days I tried to clarify this with AADSAS. Yesterday I called them twice, first time they told me A+ is 4.3, second time they told me A+ is 4. I also sent an email yesterday, and they replied this morning saying A+ is 4.33 according to their latest document. So I called them once again, told them the conflicting information, and they lady went to verify with her colleagues and told me A+ is still 4.33, A- is 3.667, etc. Hope this helps!

Ok so these past two days I tried to clarify this with AADSAS. Yesterday I called them twice, first time they told me A+ is 4.3, second time they told me A+ is 4. I also sent an email yesterday, and they replied this morning saying A+ is 4.33 according to their latest document. So I called them once again, told them the conflicting information, and they lady went to verify with her colleagues and told me A+ is still 4.33, A- is 3.667, etc. Hope this helps!
LOL i had the lady go talk to the manager and they said A+ and A are 4.0s. i swear these guys don't have it together. Im not pleased at all.

LOL i had the lady go talk to the manager and they said A+ and A are 4.0s. i swear these guys don't have it together. Im not pleased at all.
Same I'm confused as hell....

Glad an A+ isn't a 4.3 anymore. It's fair for everyone now.

Reactions: 2 users
giphy.gif

When they tell you that an A+ equals a 4.3 and a 4.0 on the same day

Last edited:
Yes finally....fair. Like others have explained:

Many US schools, like my undergrad, do not have +/- and have this scale:

Earned % = grade = GPA
90-100% = A = 4.0
80-89% = B = 3.0
70-79% = C = 2.0
60-69% = D = 1.0
0 - 59% = F = 0.0

AADSAS should standardize % to letter/gpa conversion across schools' transcripts so we can be compared fairly.

At our school the weed-out intro Chem/bio/physics course average is 68-72% (Barely 2.0 GPA) with plenty of D, F and Ws.
Yet, 89% at my school is a B= 3.0 and 100% or 105% is "only" an A = 4.0 (highest possible grade in transcript).

I got plenty of 4.0's and in some courses I earned 97- 105% but only got the max (A=4.0). No way to get 4.3.

i'm sure kids from schools with A+ (which is not the norm) do not have any advantage over people who's max GPA is 4.0
schools will definitely take into account what the max GPA at your school is when they make a decision.

i'm sure kids from schools with A+ (which is not the norm) do not have any advantage over people who's max GPA is 4.0
schools will definitely take into account what the max GPA at your school is when they make a decision.

True, if they convert an earned 90-100% to an A (4.0) or an A+ to 4.0. Those are fair.

However, some (Canadian?) applicants come from schools that convert an 85% to an A (4.0) on AADSAS which is not fair to those that get a B (3.0) for the same earned 85%. Perhaps dental schools recognize this difference.

In any case, the end result is that on AADSAS they will have a higher GPA if their school already converted the 85% into an A on their transcript. If their school only reports % grades, then AADSAS will give them a B (3.0).

80% is an A? Wow.
TBH im tired of seeing of these kind of posts. Im not sure how hard it is to get an 80 in the states, but in canada I had to bust my butt to get my As. Theres obviously a difficulty difference in obtaining grades and hence why other associations (i.e. medicine) has different grade conversions for canadians vs americans. Please see the attached link before thinking canadians have the lush life.

For example, it shows that 80+ is at least a 3.7 for a canadian vs a 2.7 for an american. Clearly, there is some merit and superficially we can guess that the distribution of the people getting 80% must be different between the two countries which merits these conversion differences (id personally vouch for this).

https://aamc-orange.global.ssl.fast...140d8acb35af/amcas_grade_conversion_guide.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:
TBH im tired of seeing of these kind of posts. Im not sure how hard it is to get an 80 in the states, but in canada I had to bust my butt to get my As. Theres obviously a difficulty difference in obtaining grades and hence why other associations (i.e. medicine) has different grade conversions for canadians vs americans. Please see the attached link before thinking canadians have the lush life.

For example, it shows that 80+ is at least a 3.7 for a canadian vs a 2.7 for an american. Clearly, there is some merit and superficially we can guess that the distribution of the people getting 80% must be different between the two countries which merits these conversion differences (id personally vouch for this).

https://aamc-orange.global.ssl.fast...140d8acb35af/amcas_grade_conversion_guide.pdf
It was not my intention to upset you. But you're going to have a difficult time finding sympathy from other students who had to earn higher grades to get the same GPA.
It has nothing to do with an 80 being harder to get in Canada vs the US, it's all professor-dependent.

It was not my intention to upset you. But you're going to have a difficult time finding sympathy from other students who had to earn higher grades to get the same GPA.
It has nothing to do with an 80 being harder to get in Canada vs the US, it's all professor-dependent.
True. Keepkng a high percentage...like 93%(core)/94%(most bio classes)/even 95%(physics) at my college For an A can be quite difficult

Reactions: 1 user

Schools are not going to research the grading scale at your university.

Th
Schools are not going to research the grading scale at your university.
ey can see if there's A+'s on the transcript or not. Trust me a 4.0/4.3 isn't that much of an advantage from 3.9/4.0