Is a pharmacist a Doctor?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
That is the most ******ed thing I have ever heard. We call physicians doctors.......in the way we use it, its wrong. WTF!! When you ask a child what their dream is, and they say they want to become a doctor.....do you think they meant a PhamD....No freakin way.

So you let children be the ultimate arbitrator of word definitions? That is one sophisticated technique.

Members don't see this ad.

I stand by the fact that I am on staff at 3 local hospitals, and b/c of liability issues, only physicians are referred to as doctors.
Look pharm people, the issue is not your Academic title, the issue is the layman's, that's "patients" to the dense folks, perception. Misrepresentation is a slam-dunk in malpractice suits. Honestly, as one of my attending once said, if you want to be captain go to captain school.

And yet legally there would be no misrepresentation involved. Hmm.

At my university hospital, the pharmacists with PharmD's are definitely referred to as Dr. Whatever... Everyone knows that they are pharmacists and I've never seen one pick up a scapel and try to act like an MD.

At a unversity hospital in my hometown, my mother is referred to as Dr. All4'sMoM... she is a clinical psychologist. I don't think this is uncommon.

Both of these are very large teaching hospitals.

Keep the discussion civil, please.

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh well, folks, I spend my whole morning hours doing nothing but reading this. I was surprised that there is a lot people argue with the "Title" thing, I was more concern about how much money a PharmD. earn compared to a regular Ph.D.:D
I guess my 2 cents is too innocent.....:laugh:

Now I dont believe that! You honestly think a hospital would hire a physician who prescribed under a false name....if this is what you were implying. You seem to be diggin for something to lash back at FamilyMD.

I really don't care whether you believe it or not. He does not prescribe. Apparently the sentence, "This guy isn't even licensed and is only hired to do recruiting but signs MD behind his name when he sends out reminder letters to patients that he recruits." is over your reading comprehension? He recruits and that is all he does. However, he calls himself Dr and signs MD behind his name. He's legally able to do this because he did earn an MD even though he cannot legally practice medicine here in the US. This was not something to lash back at FamilyMD. I was trying to point out that there is a grey area even within the physician/MD area.

Obviously this is just BS. I AM on the credentialing committee of my hospital (every hospital has one) whose only purpose is to review and confirm and verify the credentials of applicants to the hospital's Medical Staff. This is so vitally important b/c the hospitals have liability if it allows sub-standard physicians on its staff. If you can so blatantly lie about this (thought no one would know:confused: :confused: ), then the rest of your post holds no credibillity. I stand by the fact that I am on staff at 3 local hospitals, and b/c of liability issues, only physicians are referred to as doctors.
Look pharm people, the issue is not your Academic title, the issue is the layman's, that's "patients" to the dense folks, perception. Misrepresentation is a slam-dunk in malpractice suits. Honestly, as one of my attending once said, if you want to be captain go to captain school.

Well guess what, I'm not lying. I thought it was illegal too. But I was told since he did earn his MD (even though it was from Mexico) and does not practice medicine but merely recruits patients, that he can legally sign MD behind his name.

I'm more concerned about the hospital hiring a shady doctor named John Doe...that should have tipped someone off.