This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hopelesslyhopeful

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I got positive feedback on my last personal statement, and the experience is one that I think truly played a very large role in my pursuit of medicine, beyond anything new I have done in my gap year. Instead of scrapping the whole thing and rewriting a new (potentially weaker) one, could I condense my old statement and simply connect it to some of my new activities??

For example:

Old statement: here is a story about an experience, here is the significance of it.

Now

New Statement: here is the same story, here's how it prompted these recent activities, here is what I learned from all of them together?

Disclaimer: I tried scrapping the whole thing and writing one focusing on one of my new activities and its significance, but their role in my decision isn't as large, as I had decided definitively before even starting these activities that this is what I wanted. To me, they come off a lot weaker.

Members don't see this ad.

A modified one showing what's changed over the past year is acceptable. No reason to reinvent the wheel.