Is a Clinical Letter of Rec Essential??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bigeman101

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here's the situation:

I worked as a CNA for a year and recently quit because the management was terrible and they all got fired. I was going to get a letter of rec from my boss there but that's not possible now. Now I have two choices: I can go to work another CNA job and get a letter of rec there or I can be a chemistry TA at my university and get a letter of rec from him. Which would be better? FYI I have more than enough patient care hours (1000+) and I've never been a TA before. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Very few schools will outright require a clinical LOR dealing with patient care as far as I know. AZ is the only MD school that comes to mind. Some DO schools will require a letter from a DO physician though.

Members don't see this ad :)
This seems a little unnecessary.
Here's the situation:

I worked as a CNA for a year and recently quit because the management was terrible and they all got fired. I was going to get a letter of rec from my boss there but that's not possible now. Now I have two choices: I can go to work another CNA job and get a letter of rec there or I can be a chemistry TA at my university and get a letter of rec from him. Which would be better? FYI I have more than enough patient care hours (1000+) and I've never been a TA before. Thanks!

For the most part, no. A clinical LOR is not required except for DO schools.

Reactions: 1 users
It is a moderate myth that premeds need a clinical letter for medical school. Some premedical committees may require one so the myth reaches that level to. Generally letters from doctors you shadowed briefly are pethaps least useful LORs a premed could get
Very few schools will outright require a clinical LOR dealing with patient care as far as I know. AZ is the only MD school that comes to mind. Some DO schools will require a letter from a DO physician though.

This was my experience as well. Some DO schools will ask for a letter from a DO physician, while others will ask for a letter from a physician preferring a DO letter, while others will ask for a letter from either an MD/DO physician, with some asking for a letter from any type of clinician.

Of the MD schools I applied to, I've only had a couple that recommended I submit a letter from a physician I've worked with.

Overall, I do not think it is essential. If you plan to apply DO... it may be wise to shadow a DO and obtain a letter from him/her.

I'm starting to think that LOR's are overhyped. I suspect that the vast majority of students have incredibly generic LOR's, and they probably don't help as much as everyone thinks they do.

I've been offered volunteering LOR's from the volunteer coordinator and even the CEO of said hospital. I thought they were completely useless, as the volunteer coordinator barely knows me, and the CEO does NOT know me whatsoever. An LOR from one of the CNA's who is always on her shift when I volunteer is probably more valuable.

I also know professors who have a single LOR template that they use for all their students. They simply change the name of said student when submitting.

Last edited:
I'm starting to think that LOR's are overhyped. I suspect that the vast majority of students have incredibly generic LOR's, and they probably don't help as much as everyone thinks they do.

I've been offered volunteering LOR's from the volunteer coordinator and even the CEO of said hospital. I thought they were completely useless, as the volunteer coordinator barely knows me, and the CEO does NOT know me whatsoever. An LOR from one of the CNA's who is always on her shift when I volunteer is probably more valuable.

I also know professors who have a single LOR template that they use for all their students. They simply change the name of said student when submitting.

I always suspected the same! That a vast majority of them have no bearing on admissions, a few are red flags that destroy an application, and a few that might help a little bit (although I cannot imagine any of them make a huge difference to the large amount of programs applicants apply to).

Then again, I am in no way qualified to make that judgement. It is just that (a suspicion)

Reactions: 1 user

USUHS also requires a clinical letter.

But in you
This seems a little unnecessary.

For the most part, no. A clinical LOR is not required except for DO schools.
But don't you think a LOR would look good from a CNA coordinator or a boss who has seen you work in a clinical setting? Better than a professor's perhaps?

If you're still in touch with the nurses you worked with, you could ask one of them. Technically speaking, they delegate tasks to you, so it's not unreasonable to call them "supervisors," even if they're not in a formal leadership position for that unit.

If you're still in touch with the nurses you worked with, you could ask one of them. Technically speaking, they delegate tasks to you, so it's not unreasonable to call them "supervisors," even if they're not in a formal leadership position for that unit.
The more I look into getting LOR the more it seems like they are bs and shouldn't be required. As if an adcom is going to let you in because a couple of people said your a good student/volunteer/employee. Thoughts?

The more I look into getting LOR the more it seems like they are bs and shouldn't be required. As if an adcom is going to let you in because a couple of people said your a good student/volunteer/employee. Thoughts?
I actually agree with you. My suspicion is LORs serve the opposite purpose... like if you're a total crazy psychopath, hopefully your letter writer will say it, and a school can avoid interviewing you and find a more normal person for that interview spot instead.

@gonnif Sorry for bumping again, but what is the recommendation when the pre-medical committee requires a MD letter of recommendation? Obey their commands, or don't and make your own rec 'package'?

@gonnif Sorry for bumping again, but what is the recommendation when the pre-medical committee requires a MD letter of recommendation? Obey their commands, or don't and make your own rec 'package'?
Your committee may do this as a way to ensure that you got some type of clinical experience. If they require it to give you a letter, best do what they say.

Reactions: 2 users