Is 26 too late to start dental school ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
An artist once said "Hell is the failure of your life's greatest ambition". Your question then can be interpreted as:

"Is 26 too early to go to Hell". In my oppinion, its always too early to go to hell. Pursue your heavens regardless of age.

On the other hand though, I must question the purpose and benefit to tax payers of educating a 41 year old vs a 21 year old. Assuming they both retire at the same time, the 21 year old should contribute 20 more years to the population in terms of dental service, taxable income, and general productivity.

With the "shortage" of dentists, increased number of female dentists etc. Reducing the number of productive years of the dentist by accepting older students (45 and up) is questionable.

The return on investment for the mature student is also questionable. In other words, with the steady rediculous rise in the cost of education, one is going to require more years on the job to see a return that justifies the investment.

By the time the average dental student is 45, they should have been in practice for 15 - 18 years. This is clearly preferable to entering a GPR when you are 50.

Members don't see this ad.

I will be 25 when I start dental school (assuming I get in). My husband and I would like to have a baby sometime before I graduate. He is currently a med student and their 4th year they do very little and it is a great time to have a baby for med students before they start their residency. Is there a similar time in dental school when your responsibilities are low and it is a good time for a woman to have a baby (i.e. 3rd or 4th year)? How common is it for dental students to get pregnant?

An artist once said "Hell is the failure of your life's greatest ambition". Your question then can be interpreted as:

"Is 26 too early to go to Hell". In my oppinion, its always too early to go to hell. Pursue your heavens regardless of age.

On the other hand though, I must question the purpose and benefit to tax payers of educating a 41 year old vs a 21 year old. Assuming they both retire at the same time, the 21 year old should contribute 20 more years to the population in terms of dental service, taxable income, and general productivity.

With the "shortage" of dentists, increased number of female dentists etc. Reducing the number of productive years of the dentist by accepting older students (45 and up) is questionable.

The return on investment for the mature student is also questionable. In other words, with the steady rediculous rise in the cost of education, one is going to require more years on the job to see a return that justifies the investment.

By the time the average dental student is 45, they should have been in practice for 15 - 18 years. This is clearly preferable to entering a GPR when you are 50.

If life was all just a calculative measure. Why not spend all that money and build sophisticated robots to do the job. They may cost less in the long run and easily replacable, work longer hours, take no vacation and generate more cash. ROI paid.

Members don't see this ad :)
I will be 25 when I start dental school (assuming I get in). My husband and I would like to have a baby sometime before I graduate. He is currently a med student and their 4th year they do very little and it is a great time to have a baby for med students before they start their residency. Is there a similar time in dental school when your responsibilities are low and it is a good time for a woman to have a baby (i.e. 3rd or 4th year)? How common is it for dental students to get pregnant?

Wait! Is he the one getting pregnant and nursing or you at the start of your D1?

I'm turning 26 next year, is it too late to start dental school by then ? what's the average age for incoming students ? I feel really old...:(
Im 28 and Im just starting School. In General!

Our oldest classmate was 42

But, if you're 26 and only plan on living to 30, maybe you should reconsider =) JK!

yes, it is too late for you. You are too old. Please head to your nearest retirement home, you old fogey!

Here's some advice. If your eyes aren't good enough to read this, then you probably shouldn't start.

I'll join in. I started at 29. Not a problem. GO FOR IT!!! Dentistry is the BEST!

Here's some advice. If your eyes aren't good enough to read this, then you probably shouldn't start.

OH MY GOD! I could not read your post, had to ask my grand daughter to read it for me.

I am turning 25 in the fall and also starting my prerequisite classes at that time. If I'll goes smoothly, I'll be in dental school in three years and a dentist in another four. I'm excited for the journey and happy with my school/career decisions thus far!

Am 35, dank! But full of confidence and energy. Class of 2014

the average age at many programs across the nation are around 24-25. There were many non-traditional students interviewing with me that are in late 20's. Don't be discouraged by age and i hope this helps.

hi friends,
i got into dental school at age 46 :) i am finishing GPR NOW. i will start practising. if dentistry is your passion than age is not issue at all.
good luck !
international dentist

I had a classmate who was in her 50s and was a grandmother when she started dental school. She had previously been an RN.

I'm in my final undergrad program (BDS) and there's a guy who is 55 in my class. You're asking if 26 is too late? Are you kidding?! You're still young mate, "You're never too old until your regrets take the place of your dreams".:)

late bloomer here too.:oops: I start, if all goes well, when Im 30. but i hear 30 is the new 20 so its all good!:D

I'm turning 26 next year, is it too late to start dental school by then ? what's the average age for incoming students ? I feel really old...:(

I hope not, because that's how old I will be when classes start in a month!

i guess ur v v old why u even siting on forum and wasting space lol have some milk and sleeep :))))))) sorry jst kiddin ;)

HA! I am 31 and starting D1 in August. You are only as old as you feel.

Plus, thats whats nice about those college girls..... I keep getting older, but they stay the same age .... yes they do!

Giggity, Giggity!