Irish Schools Admissions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ramona223

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm still not clear on this issue...If you have a non-science degree and have completed the US pre-med courses, taken the MCAT, etc., can you apply to the Irish 5-year programs?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

hi ramona

The answer is yes.

What is important to recognize is that the Atlantic Bridge Program is very competitive now. Alot of ppl applying and they are taking less than 40%. That is, of course, including the 6 year admission slots as well. There are a total of ~160 slots and that includes 6 year programs and 5 year programs.

If you have the pre reqs for US then it is always much easier (and easier when the time comes for residency) to stay in the US. MACT scores which will get you into an Irish school (5 years long) will be as high as what is needed to get into a DO/MD school in the USA (4 years long).

I think you should ask Atlantic Bridge on this one. I know people who have not had science degrees, but done mcat/pre-reqs and still not been able to get into the 5 year programs. But this was a couple years ago, and the curriculum has changed since then. So you might want to ask Atlantic Bridge or even the colleges directly.

Members don't see this ad :)
ramona,

if you have the usual pre-med courses out of the way (i.e. chemistry, physics, and biology), then it won't matter what you undergrad degree is in (same as US schools). in fact, although i had taken the MCAT, it was NOT (edited 11/11) requisite for application to the irish medical schools. that may have changed since i was in ireland. if you did well, it will only help strengthen your application.

craig

feel free to e-mail me with any questions

I'm a first year at UCC and i can speak anecdotally about my class and one could extrapolate to the Dublin schools since they're all pretty similar. While the Irish students are qualifying out of high school, the expectations for NAmericans are much higher. There are 18 NAmericans in my class (from more than 300 applicants) and all have complete bachelor's degrees. About half of us have Master's degrees as well. While you would be technically eligible without completing a BSc, the competition suggests that you would need one to have a shot. It's funny but many apply to Ireland b/c it's "easier" to get in. Easier perhaps in terms of lacking the absolutely rigid requirements of x,y,z courses and xx_GPA but no less competitive at all in the end, i think, simply b/c of who and how many apply. Anyway, give it a shot and good luck.