Irish med school experience

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sage880

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, I've got some time to kill so I figured some people applying this year might be interested in hearing me ramble on about med school here in Ireland.

First of all, the country is a great place to live and go to school in. I've been in Dublin and Cork and both of them seem a lot more interesting and fun then any North American city I've worked or gone to school in. This reason alone makes me think that Ireland is the better choice for me anyway. So the rest of this will just be about the school experience. These are the things that have jumped out at me after the first 2 months.

At the beginning, it's much easier than NA med school - I have friends taking med back at home and from comparing our curriculum, the first year Irish stuff is much easier. Basically, they've seemed to split M1 and M2 in NA into three years here with the bulk of M2 taken in our year three. That means that I'd say you only have to work about 60% as hard in first year here as you would in NA. Keep in mind that the Irish kids are just coming out of high school so it's killer for them. Some of them haven't even taken biology before so they have a lot to catch up with. The good thing about the slow start for the pre-clinical years is if you're not the strongest student you can spend more time really learning the basics. Also, if you're a gunner who wants to memorize everything in phys and biochem you have the time to do it now. Putting it simply though, I've never heard of a NA student who struggled during the first two years. From what I've heard, third year is a big wake up call though here and that's when you'll be killing yourself studying.

The Irish students are young - Most of them are 17 or 18 in fact. I'd say most of the NA students are in the 23-26 range. That's a pretty big age gap. Still, they're fun but it is a big age gap. I'm nothing like I was when I was 17! The good thing is there are TONNES of NA and other international students in each year so don't worry about not meeting anyone in your class your own age.

It's a very muti-cultural environment - This totally kicks ass. It's not like in Canada where people were born somewhere else but moved to Canada when they were children so they've basically grown up in Canada. This is lots of students from all over the world who've just came. I love hanging out with people from all different countries.

There aren't really any gunners here - Well, there are some but they're all from NA it seems. The Irish aren't nearly as much the classic ?type A? personality you'd expect in med school. The NA students are for the most part. The Irish kids get into a program STRICTLY on points on a set of tests they write - like the SAT's in the states. The Irish high school system is harder though then back home so they are extremely bright. But none of them are really "science nerds" or anything - they have to do well in every subject across the board. For whatever reason, this means that almost all of them are female. I think the ratio of Irish girls to guys in our class is greater than 6:1. Also, at least 3/4 of them never even considered medicine until they got the points to do it. There's a real pressure here to do the hardest course you're accepted to. This means that none of them are the crazy, "I've wanted to be a doctor since the day I was born" personality you are surrounded by in NA. It's much more laid back and less competitive here.

Everything in Ireland takes a long time - You will have to line up for lots of things that are pointless. People will change things at the last minute and not tell you. Everything in the school is pretty horribly organized and inefficient by NA standards. If you are a detail type person you will be miserable here. The students who are saying things like, "Oh my god!! Why don't they just do it like this!??!" are having the worst time. If you can say, "F*ck it" and just go with the flow you'll be much happier.

The profs pronounce the words funny - Not a big deal but sometimes it's annoying! Cervical is "Sir-VIKE-al" and cephalic is "KEF-al-ic" and stuff like that. Not a big deal but I thought I'd mention it!

The profs still treat you like children - Not all the time and not too badly but they really do talk to you like you're all 17 and are away from home for the first time. They're pretty good with the International students but in small group talks prepare to have things over explained.

People here seem to do well - Most of the Canadians I've met who wrote the USMLE-1 seemed to ROCK it. Like scores in the 98-99 range! I think this is because in America, you write the USMLE-1 after M2. This means you have about 1 1/2 years worth of time where you're learning things for it. In Ireland, you write it anytime in the summer after M3. This means you have a full 3 years of school before you write it and you had the whole M3 summer to study for it. I think maybe some of the stuff has been drilled into you more by then (and you learned it slower) so I think that explains the Irish school's great statistics for the USMLE.

You might get to stay in Ireland after - I think only a couple International students get to though. I know of 2 who graduated last year who got an internship and I believe they are the only ones. From what I understand, it's illegal for the hospitals to not pay interns for overtime here now so you make a lot more money then you would as a resident in the states. You still work the same hours though but I think residents make around 65,000 Euro a year. Helps with the dept load at least. This is just hear-say though so don't quote me on this - I'm not positive how it works.

It's a little more old-fashioned here - Everything seems a little that way - including the hospitals. From what I've heard, the hospitals are less "team based" health care here and more like it was back in the day in NA. The hospitals are run like the army - no one questions the doctors. Everyone in the hospital has a place in the hierarchy and you do what the person above you tells you to do. Again, I haven't worked there so this might be totally wrong and unfair. I only know from talking to older students, interns, and family friends in the medical profession. Still, it's something you might want to be aware about when you're coming here.

People are really active and social here - I mean REALLY active. They go out all the time. To the pub at least 4-5 times a week it seems - especially when they're young. Not even drinking sometimes, just out socializing and watching the game or whatever. Also, everyone plays some kind of sport. I've even lived in California and I'd say people are more active here than there. Less health conscious but more sporty anyway.

Ok! I'm bored so I'm stopping. Feel free to ask me any questions but I don't particularly want to be flamed because you think my opinions are wrong if you're studying in Ireland as well. As I said, this is just off the top of my head and I've only been here a short while. I'm sure I'll disagree with stuff in this post after I've finished first year.

All the best if you're applying for next year!

Members don't see this ad.

Sage880 said:
Hey, I've got some time to kill so I figured some people applying this year might be interested in hearing me ramble on about med school here in Ireland.

First of all, the country is a great place to live and go to school in. I've been in Dublin and Cork and both of them seem a lot more interesting and fun then any North American city I've worked or gone to school in. This reason alone makes me think that Ireland is the better choice for me anyway. So the rest of this will just be about the school experience. These are the things that have jumped out at me after the first 2 months.

At the beginning, it's much easier than NA med school - I have friends taking med back at home and from comparing our curriculum, the first year Irish stuff is much easier. Basically, they've seemed to split M1 and M2 in NA into three years here with the bulk of M2 taken in our year three. That means that I'd say you only have to work about 60% as hard in first year here as you would in NA. Keep in mind that the Irish kids are just coming out of high school so it's killer for them. Some of them haven't even taken biology before so they have a lot to catch up with. The good thing about the slow start for the pre-clinical years is if you're not the strongest student you can spend more time really learning the basics. Also, if you're a gunner who wants to memorize everything in phys and biochem you have the time to do it now. Putting it simply though, I've never heard of a NA student who struggled during the first two years. From what I've heard, third year is a big wake up call though here and that's when you'll be killing yourself studying.

The Irish students are young - Most of them are 17 or 18 in fact. I'd say most of the NA students are in the 23-26 range. That's a pretty big age gap. Still, they're fun but it is a big age gap. I'm nothing like I was when I was 17! The good thing is there are TONNES of NA and other international students in each year so don't worry about not meeting anyone in your class your own age.

It's a very muti-cultural environment - This totally kicks ass. It's not like in Canada where people were born somewhere else but moved to Canada when they were children so they've basically grown up in Canada. This is lots of students from all over the world who've just came. I love hanging out with people from all different countries.

There aren't really any gunners here - Well, there are some but they're all from NA it seems. The Irish aren't nearly as much the classic ?type A? personality you'd expect in med school. The NA students are for the most part. The Irish kids get into a program STRICTLY on points on a set of tests they write - like the SAT's in the states. The Irish high school system is harder though then back home so they are extremely bright. But none of them are really "science nerds" or anything - they have to do well in every subject across the board. For whatever reason, this means that almost all of them are female. I think the ratio of Irish girls to guys in our class is greater than 6:1. Also, at least 3/4 of them never even considered medicine until they got the points to do it. There's a real pressure here to do the hardest course you're accepted to. This means that none of them are the crazy, "I've wanted to be a doctor since the day I was born" personality you are surrounded by in NA. It's much more laid back and less competitive here.

Everything in Ireland takes a long time - You will have to line up for lots of things that are pointless. People will change things at the last minute and not tell you. Everything in the school is pretty horribly organized and inefficient by NA standards. If you are a detail type person you will be miserable here. The students who are saying things like, "Oh my god!! Why don't they just do it like this!??!" are having the worst time. If you can say, "F*ck it" and just go with the flow you'll be much happier.

The profs pronounce the words funny - Not a big deal but sometimes it's annoying! Cervical is "Sir-VIKE-al" and cephalic is "KEF-al-ic" and stuff like that. Not a big deal but I thought I'd mention it!

The profs still treat you like children - Not all the time and not too badly but they really do talk to you like you're all 17 and are away from home for the first time. They're pretty good with the International students but in small group talks prepare to have things over explained.

People here seem to do well - Most of the Canadians I've met who wrote the USMLE-1 seemed to ROCK it. Like scores in the 98-99 range! I think this is because in America, you write the USMLE-1 after M2. This means you have about 1 1/2 years worth of time where you're learning things for it. In Ireland, you write it anytime in the summer after M3. This means you have a full 3 years of school before you write it and you had the whole M3 summer to study for it. I think maybe some of the stuff has been drilled into you more by then (and you learned it slower) so I think that explains the Irish school's great statistics for the USMLE.

You might get to stay in Ireland after - I think only a couple International students get to though. I know of 2 who graduated last year who got an internship and I believe they are the only ones. From what I understand, it's illegal for the hospitals to not pay interns for overtime here now so you make a lot more money then you would as a resident in the states. You still work the same hours though but I think residents make around 65,000 Euro a year. Helps with the dept load at least. This is just hear-say though so don't quote me on this - I'm not positive how it works.

It's a little more old-fashioned here - Everything seems a little that way - including the hospitals. From what I've heard, the hospitals are less "team based" health care here and more like it was back in the day in NA. The hospitals are run like the army - no one questions the doctors. Everyone in the hospital has a place in the hierarchy and you do what the person above you tells you to do. Again, I haven't worked there so this might be totally wrong and unfair. I only know from talking to older students, interns, and family friends in the medical profession. Still, it's something you might want to be aware about when you're coming here.

People are really active and social here - I mean REALLY active. They go out all the time. To the pub at least 4-5 times a week it seems - especially when they're young. Not even drinking sometimes, just out socializing and watching the game or whatever. Also, everyone plays some kind of sport. I've even lived in California and I'd say people are more active here than there. Less health conscious but more sporty anyway.

Ok! I'm bored so I'm stopping. Feel free to ask me any questions but I don't particularly want to be flamed because you think my opinions are wrong if you're studying in Ireland as well. As I said, this is just off the top of my head and I've only been here a short while. I'm sure I'll disagree with stuff in this post after I've finished first year.

All the best if you're applying for next year!

ARe there quite a few "non-traditional" students that attend your school? Ans if they do are they married and do they have any kids?

Which school are you attending and are you Canadian?

Members don't see this ad :)
Arb said:
Which school are you attending and are you Canadian?
I am applying to RCSI and trinity and I am from the US. I actually have a graduate degree and my stats are not spectacular but not too shabby either. I am interested in Ireland itself and it comes across loud and clear in my essay.

mfcus said:
I am applying to RCSI and trinity and I am from the US. I actually have a graduate degree and my stats are not spectacular but not too shabby either. I am interested in Ireland itself and it comes across loud and clear in my essay.

Wow. Someone who was in Ireland as a tourist thinks it's great...
talk to me in 5 years.

and good luck.

Actually, Sage880 (the original poster) appears to be a med student at Ireland. His/her opinions and descriptions should carry some weight.

student.ie said:
talk to me in 5 years.

and good luck.
I'm Canadian and go to UCC. I also worked in Dublin for a short time (4 months) before I quit my job.

Like I said, this is just my view after a couple months of med school. What school do you go to student.ie?

What's your strategy for practicing in the U.S.? Residency shouldn't be a problem depending on your visa. It's staying in the country afterwards that may be challenging.

yeah it's pretty easy here...after almost a year and a half i can definitely say the workload is ridiculously small....getting a bit more hectic with exams closer together but NOTHING compared to canadian med schools.

the profs do treat us like kids which is really annoying, and except for a small minority, they all swagger around like big shots because they are profs. all that bs really goes a long way here (titles, authority because of your position etc).

getting anything done here takes a ridiculously long time and you always end up having to do things 2-3 times. but you get used to that. well sort of.

had our medball last night at the burlington hotel, excellent time had by all (well by me anyway). best part about med school here is you have time to socialize, have a life, and travel, which is awesome.

It's not too bad. But don't get into the habit of thinking it's easy. The first year I was here (their 2nd year), it wasn't bad cuz I was exempt from biochem. However, cramming Anatomy in three weeks wasn't fun, but I did alright. My 2nd year here (3rd year) was HELL. H-E-L-L . And it was hell for everyone. Talk about stress on wheels. Man, that wasn't fun. I'm really glad they spread some of the things out over two years rather than 1. I'm not sure how you can possibly learn Anatomy and Neuroanatomy all in 6 months well like some schools in the US (or even shorter!)

This year (4th year) is okay. We've got a month lectures, month clinicals so during clinical times we can catch up on reading. Pathology has us a bit scared. And the problem with clinicals is that the last thing you want to do after a day on the wards is go home and read. But has to be done. Although it can get quite difficult to manage, we all still have time to go out and for me, do really intensive extracurriculars. Life is overwhelming, but I think the system they've got here really does suit me.

About things taking ages here...you just have to know how to play the system. Don't do things like immigration stuff late in the day, go as soon as they open and you'll be out in 15 minutes. Same with everything else. Don't go to the bank at noon, go at 10:15. But the thing is, sometimes I skip classes to do errands :). Like today.

I wouldn't agree with things being less team-based. I guess it depends which hospital you go to. Although it's traditional over here, in my hospital there's a ton of multi-disciplinary work and everyone is conscious that multi-disciplinary is the way to go. They're quite good at keeping up-to-date with medical practices, although it might take a little longer to implement. And because they don't use stuff like PDAs and aren't as hooked to computers as we are, things take a little longer.

student.ie said:
talk to me in 5 years.

and good luck.

Student.ie,

what school do you go to? Also, it seems that you may not agree with what Sage880 wrote. What are your opinions of Ireland?

Arb said:
Actually, Sage880 (the original poster) appears to be a med student at Ireland. His/her opinions and descriptions should carry some weight.

Ok you're right.

Anyway, what are recent UCC grads doing? Haven't heard from many of you guys.

i really have to take exception to ireland being multicultural. they really don't know the meaning of the word here. i just thank god i'm not a visible minority.

all of the friends i've had who are visible minorities have had unsavoury incidents with locals, which back home (canada for me) is simply unheard of. social attitudes are a bit behind here. this is obviously a bit of a generalization but it's not that much of an exaggeration. having people of different cultural backgroudns in one place doesn't make a place multicultural. having them all together and getting along and mixing does. there are tons of people in ireland from all over the place but they pretty much stick together. i don't want ot sound like i'm down on the country or irish people because all of the ones i know who are in school with me are totally fine, but there are still very few i'd call true friends. they pretty much stick to themselves, with a few exceptions.

just a difference you'll get used to here.

Members don't see this ad :)
I understand from previous discussion that the faculty treats everyone like they are green backs in college but outside of that is there preferential treatment for native Irelanders or is everything status quo.

don't see any preferential treatment of the irish students in my class, so i don't know how much of that goes on. with the tuition foreign students pay it should be the exact opposite. actually had a prof say that. geez, we'd just be happy to get exam dates nailed down in enough time to buy plane tickets.

Badkarma25 said:
i really have to take exception to ireland being multicultural. they really don't know the meaning of the word here. i just thank god i'm not a visible minority.
I've found the Irish very accepting - but I'm caucasian so that doesn't really count for much. I'm playing varsity sports though and there's always the "Irish-boys" network where they won't pass you the ball as much but it goes away after they get used to you (I'm hopeing). As for visible minorities, I'm staying at the student residence and there are sooo many people from different places. Out of the group of 10 people I've clicked with and hang out in a group with there are 8 different countries. This doesn't say anything about how most Irish treat visible minorties but the Irish at student housing are great. Their only complain is they can't figure out how to score the International girls because they aren't falling for the same lines that the Irish girls are. The Irish guys around here are funny but patient they're not!

mfcus said:
ARe there quite a few "non-traditional" students that attend your school? Ans if they do are they married and do they have any kids?
Do you mean mature students? No one in my class is older than 26. I've met some mature students in the upper years and know some at other schools though. If, by non-traditional, you mean not coming from a science back ground then there's not so much at my school either. UCC requires the MCAT so pretty much all the NA people here are science undergrad. I didn't do science in my undergrad but I took 1 year post degree and jammed as many courses in as I could to study for the MCAT. Again, at schools like Trinity, UCD and RCSI I think there would be more non-science students due to the fact you don't need the MCAT.

By the way, this is just from what I've heard so don't go biting my head off but I'd stay away from RCSI if I were you. It's way more expensive and it's more American and USMLE focused. That might sound like a good thing at first but why wouldn't you just go to an American school then? And if you can't get in, I've heard going to the Carribean schools might be better for route. The Irish seem to think it's a "back door for rich Americans to buy their way into medicine." Plus, you're ONLY going to school with med students. I like being at a real big college again. Even just for the fact that you can play varsity sports here and travel around Ireland to the other schools for free. I've only met two RCSI students (both Americans) but they've both given me a really bad report of it. Both the students I've talked to regretted going there instead of a traditional Irish University but that's hardly statistically accurate. From what it sounds like though, if you want to attend a US like school with mostly US students then RCSI is the place for you! Maybe some other RCSI upper year students can comment on this and tell what they really thing of it.

My first choice was Trinity because I had lived in Dublin but now I'm happy I ended up at UCC. I've heard Galway's great too. I got into UCD but hadn't heard much about them and I had heard really good things about the student housing and hospitals at UCC so that's why I made the choice to go here. Still liking it so far!

Multiculturalism?! I think that depends where you go. In Dublin, it's not a problem. I think there may be a few instances of racism (subtle or not), but you get that in any country. Among the student population, it doesn't happen...the students treat you like one of their own, and everyone is very accepting. A lot of the North Americans accepted here are asian/indian-American and we've done fine...one has been class rep for a couple years and is now the student Health convenor. I know so many people in college through various activities and have gotten elected into the elite sports society on campus and onto the student executive board of the sports department. My friends definitely think of me more as one of them, and if not, just an American, rather than focusing on the fact that I'm Asian. Your experience is what you make it. There was a little hubbub surrounding our Schols exams last year being anti-North American, but that's more of a money issue than a race issue.

However, as an American, and especially as a direct entrant, it is hard to break into Irish circles. They already have their group of friends from first year. Sure, everyone from one particular location will clump together at first. But eventually you'll start panning out, especially if you initiate association. There's no use complaining that they won't mingle if you don't take the first step and introduce yourself to make the effort. My class are great - at first, yeah...the Americans hung out together, but soon the Irish learned that we could help them out (esp. in Anatomy) and we had good ways of studying, and we learned by using our experiences to teach them at first and found having them around useful as well. We also made it a point not to be a typical American and hog the spotlight or the demonstrator's time, but were also very encouraging in getting the Irish to ask questions. They responded well to that and the class gelled very quickly. Not to mention the great nights out.

Also, I'm not sure about being babied... ok, when I first arrived, I thought we had the "physiology for dummies" class, but then I had to factor in that no one else had encountered physiology before, and while the lecture seemed dumbed down, the exams definitely weren't. Then once you get in the hospitals...

Just read Sage's post and it's remarkably accurate. About UCC anyway.

American and Irish students usually get on together after a few weeks in college. North American students' approach to education can get up Irish students' noses initially because we find it (wrongly) to be pushy and arrogant. For example, volunteering answers or questioning the lecturer would be unheard of in secondary school in Ireland. In fact you would be considered a freak for doing so. However, being able to stand up for yourself in hospitals is a handy skill so many Irish students become more "North American" in their behaviour as the years in college progress. Of course there is also an age difference between Irish and N.A. students but again this barrier is soon forgotten about.

About multiculturalism, Ireland still has some way to go (By the way, I am Irish). Some of the consultants can be pompous gits towards the non-EU junior doctors and there are hardly any non-EU consultants in UCC. Plus, intern places are given to EU students first and then non-EU, regardless of the grade achieved in final med.

Do you think you are getting the same quality of education that you would in a North American medical school? Do you think you will be prepared adequately for USMLE Steps 1-2? I know that it's not the school's focus to prepare you for the exams but it is important to know if you are on the right track. Those exams are suppose to test you on what you learned in medical school anyways.

By the way, this is just from what I've heard so don't go biting my head off but I'd stay away from RCSI if I were you. It's way more expensive and it's more American and USMLE focused. That might sound like a good thing at first but why wouldn't you just go to an American school then? And if you can't get in, I've heard going to the Carribean schools might be better for route. The Irish seem to think it's a "back door for rich Americans to buy their way into medicine." Plus, you're ONLY going to school with med students. I like being at a real big college again. Even just for the fact that you can play varsity sports here and travel around Ireland to the other schools for free. I've only met two RCSI students (both Americans) but they've both given me a really bad report of it. Both the students I've talked to regretted going there instead of a traditional Irish University but that's hardly statistically accurate. From what it sounds like though, if you want to attend a US like school with mostly US students then RCSI is the place for you! Maybe some other RCSI upper year students can comment on this and tell what they really thing of it.

Don't worry I am not going to bite your head off! Far too more important things to do. I appreciate the information it is more than what I can find in other areas. I am 28 and married so there is not a whole lot in common with an 18 year old. But I truly do not care b/c I want to end up being a doctor and this is a unique avenue to do it. Also, do you like living in Cork and is it similar to Galway. I have been there once but only as a tourist.

Sage880 said:

It took me ages to work out what a gunner was. They just don't exist in the UK, seems that way in Ireland too.

Sage880 said:

No, it's you! Strange yanks/canucks with their wierd accents... ;) Learn to love your vowels too - it's oedema, and oesophagus, and anaemia, and paediatrics etc etc!

FionaS said:
No, it's you! Strange yanks/canucks with their wierd accents... ;) Learn to love your vowels too - it's oedema, and oesophagus, and anaemia, and paediatrics etc etc!

For some reason you folks are unwilling to give up some letters from the Old English alphabet of the 5th-11th centuries. Come on it's been hundreds of years, time to do away with the oe's and ae's (overlapping letters) and accept the Modern Latin alphabet. I don't want to confuse my medicine text with Beowulf. :confused:

student.ie said:
For some reason you folks are unwilling to give up some letters from the Old English alphabet of the 5th-11th centuries. Come on it's been hundreds of years, time to do away with the oe's and ae's (overlapping letters) and accept the Modern Latin alphabet. I don't want to confuse my medicine text with Beowulf. :confused:

American English will always be nothing more than a mere corrupt dialect of the English language ;) :p

I just saw this topic recently...haven't been to sdn boards in quite some time (still haven't gotten my laptop yet hehe).

Pretty much everything Sage has said is spot on from what i see around here. There are plenty of internationals here from what i've seen (they stressed how multiculturalism is growing at a few of the orientation presentations...like talking about different countries students are from). People and students have been really friendly and great for the most part and I like the way the cirriculum (sp?) is going. The only thing I can honestly add which isn't much and is already really implied in what Sage said is this place is what you make of it. There are lots of clubs and sports to get involved with so whether you like UCC, Cork and the studies here really kinda depend on how active you're willing to be about 'em.

I've met a few gunners here but don't bother with them so much and just be cordial. For the most part, people I've met have been really nice and fun to hang about. I'm personally happy with the more relaxed attitude here and the fact that one isn't stuck with med students all the time. I'm not saying that's such a bad thing, but it's great to meet people from people who are studying different subjects here.

I also have to admit that at first I was a bit thrown off by how certain administrative things were done here (how Sage talks about the inefficiency of certain things here or disorganization) but he's right...go in with patience and follow how things are done here and you'll get done whatever you need to get done (I know that sounds vague and very lame but can't really describe it any other way).

Ok now looking back at what i wrote, pretty much all of what I said has already been stated in earlier replies from others so i'm just repeating and will shut up now! There's still a lot I don't know about how the hospitals are here or how upper years of medical education are but I'm learning as I go along. I hope some of this is helpful to anyone applying here.

I think that our lil' country is a lot more multicultural, etc. than it was ten years ago! Personally I don't see any problems in my classes. Sure, people group together (Malaysians, Irish, Canucks, (!), etc.) but you have that anywhere (there's loads of little sub-groups among all of these too). Everyone seems to be really friendly, and if one or two make the effort, it makes all the difference!

PaddyofNine said:
I think that our lil' country is a lot more multicultural, etc. than it was ten years ago! Personally I don't see any problems in my classes. Sure, people group together (Malaysians, Irish, Canucks, (!), etc.) but you have that anywhere (there's loads of little sub-groups among all of these too). Everyone seems to be really friendly, and if one or two make the effort, it makes all the difference!

Yeah. I was in Ireland in the year 2000. Coming back in 2002, I was actually shocked to see how far the Irish people had come in just 2 years. Remember, the mass influx of immigrants and foreign people to Ireland has been relatively recent, just in the past 10-15 years or so, with most coming to Dublin. So Dublin has been better at getting used to having other cultures around, and it's gradually filtering to other parts now. You have to remember that it was like having all of a sudden a crapload of aliens dumped into your country all at one time a mere 10 years ago, and it has taken an adjustment period. I'd say the Irish are handling it very well, and for the most part are very friendly and helpful. They do what they can. Of course, some of the less educated and those in poorer socioeconomic classes might be a bit resistant because of job issues and services threats, but you find the exact same in the US. As newcomers, it's our job to integrate and not hole up in our comfy little group.

leorl said:
As newcomers, it's our job to integrate and not hole up in our comfy little group.

And for the most part, everyone does integrate. Well, from what I can see in my class, at least. We do have a lot of social events on here in the first semester that really have helped get everybody acquainted (Med Day, the Med Ball, etc.) and it's just a matter of learning everybody's name!

PS: Although with 250 people, that's a tall order! I only hope the same thing doesn't happen me as last year: I no sooner have everybody's name learned, when I turn around and it's May. Four month interval, then back to square one in September!

Still, we're getting there. And it has to be harder for some of the Bridge people trying to get their tongues around some of the Irish names in the class. Soairche, anyone?

When do most students going to America take the USMLE? Is it offered in Ireland and are their any prep companies like Kaplan or Princeton Review over there? Would it be advisable to just wait until the final year of med studies to take both the USMLE Part 1 and Part 2, so as to maximize study time for those tests? :idea:

rocker said:
When do most students going to America take the USMLE? Is it offered in Ireland and are their any prep companies like Kaplan or Princeton Review over there? Would it be advisable to just wait until the final year of med studies to take both the USMLE Part 1 and Part 2, so as to maximize study time for those tests? :idea:

Not sure. Friends of mine seem to have taken Step 1 at the beginning/end of 3rd Medical Year. Leaving it all until the end seems a little suspect - doesn't some of the material include stuff you won't have studied since 1st year?

rocker said:
sage880 said:
You could wait if you wanted and write it later but I'm not sure if I'll want to review biochem in year 5! Summer of third med seems the most popular time.

Sage880 said:
You could wait if you wanted and write it later but I'm not sure if I'll want to review biochem in year 5! Summer of third med seems the most popular time.

Isn't there a rule that says you have to complete the entire USMLE series within a period of 7 years? :confused: And you can only take USMLE step 3 after finishing residency, right?

If you are in a 6 yr Irish Med program and you take USMLE step 1 in the 3rd year, then you only have 7 years to pass the USMLE step 2 and USMLE step 3. You would then progress like this. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
- You would take the USMLE step 1 after or during year 3 of the Med Program,
- then take USMLE step 2 (3 years later) in year 6 of the Med Program,
- then complete a 3 year post-grad US residency and take USMLE step 3 (6 years after taking USMLE 1)

You would complete all steps of the USMLE within 6 years, but that only leaves a 1 year cushion to finish within the required 7 years. Isn't that risking it a little bit? I mean, you'd be screwed if for some reason you didn't pass one of the steps and had to retake it :( , thereby pushing you closer to the 7 year time limit. And, imagine if you didn't immediately match into the residency specialty you wanted and had to reapply in a following year :( . That would also push back when you can take USMLE step 3. You would be royally screwed, no? :eek:

For clarification, that's the summer of 4th med, which is our third year (since most north americans skip 1st year of a 6 year program), and is the M3 equivalent. The reason being that you want to make sure you have had pathology before taking the USMLE, since pathology is a Massive part of the USMLE. There aren't really any review courses, but people probably wouldn't really use them here anyway because 1) most of us think they're a waste of money 2) there's no real time 3) review it yourself anyway.

At Trinity, people used to take it in June after 4th year, which meant studying bigtime starting at Christmas. However, with my class this year, they're cutting out 2 of our elective months and we have to be here in September. However, that month could potentially be used for "research," so a lot of the North Americans and Irish taking the USMLE will do "research" and study for the USMLE instead, and then take it end of September/early October. I think...this new change hasn't been set in stone yet.

Then sometimes between then and final med, you take USMLE 2 CK and CS. Some people choose to wait until after final med and take the year off or do an intern-year here while studying for those steps, and then return home after that year to take the exams.

rocker said:
Isn't there a rule that says you have to complete the entire USMLE series within a period of 7 years? :confused: And you can only take USMLE step 3 after finishing residency, right?

If you are in a 6 yr Irish Med program and you take USMLE step 1 in the 3rd year, then you only have 7 years to pass the USMLE step 2 and USMLE step 3. You would then progress like this. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
- You would take the USMLE step 1 after or during year 3 of the Med Program,
- then take USMLE step 2 (3 years later) in year 6 of the Med Program,
- then complete a 3 year post-grad US residency and take USMLE step 3 (6 years after taking USMLE 1) :eek:

Actually, you can take Step 3 any time during your residency. The longer you wait the easier it will be, but the earlier you pass it, the earlier you can moonlight and make some extra cash.

You'd take Step 1 after 4th year and if you want to even be eligible for the match, then you'd have to pass Step 2 and the CSA in the fall of your final year. If you haven't passed them, then you're automatically withdrawn from the match (not that anyone would rank you or probably even interview you anyway).

I think the 7 year rule applies to Steps 1 and 2 not 3, but I could be wrong.

There's no Kaplan course in Ireland, but you can do the Q Bank online. I didn't use it, but a lot of people like it.

hi- i really want to do a psych elective in Ireland, and am in my final year at a US school, any suggestions on how to do that? websites are scant on info for visiting students...

any info would be a great help!

tangents said:
hi- i really want to do a psych elective in Ireland, and am in my final year at a US school, any suggestions on how to do that? websites are scant on info for visiting students...

any info would be a great help!

Contact the Departments of Psychiatry of the respective medical schools in Ireland and they will be able to advise you on arranging an elective.

The only prob would be you've left it quite late to arrange something if you qualify next summer. The summer months are probably the best time for foreign students to do electives...

thanks, i will try and see what happens. maybe just a vacation instead.

Has there been any problems for the US students to get money for school? I'm applying this season, and I guess that's my big concern. I know you can get 18.5k in Staffords and there are some ISLP programs available where you can get another 25k? privately, but does it cover everything? Has anyone had any problem with money for the 5th year since US med schools are only 4 years? Do you need co-signers, is there a max loan amount, etc... How much will you owe? I know it's a lot of Qs, but I really need to think about practicalities here. I've already got three US acceptances, but I'd give them up in a heartbeat to go to Ireland as long as I don't have any huge barriers with funding and pending an acceptance obviously. Any experiences would be great.

Thanks in advance.
BerlinNeuro
:luck:

i was just wondering what the grading system is like. is it pass/fail or grades?

j

jasveen said:
i was just wondering what the grading system is like. is it pass/fail or grades?

j

The grade bands are as follows:

70%+ is a First Class Honours
60-69% is a 2nd Class Honours
50-59% is a Pass

wow, that seems pretty low. are irish med schools really hard or are they that easy?

j

jasveen said:
wow, that seems pretty low. are irish med schools really hard or are they that easy?

j
They just mark differently. For example, they use negative marking on multiple choice questions (taking marks off for every wrong answer to make guessing less of an option). It's not just med school - that break down of pass, 2nd, and 1st class honours is used by most programs here.

yeah don't be fooled by the over 70 first class honours thing...they aren't easy to get!

Uh, you have to work your ass off to get above a 70. Also, failing is really easy. It's not like in the US where you have to pretty much either be dumb as rocks or not do a single bit of work for the class to fail. Here, you have to work your tail off to NOT fail. And if you play it right and really put the work in, you're rewarded with a first.

Oh, and MCQs are pretty tricky here. The examination format can hurt the north americans as a lot of them are essay based (i.e. it's really odd trying to discuss the process of neurotransmission in essay style, where you're also graded on correct grammar and format of the essay). The MCQs are tricky because of negative marking and some "the following except..." questions.