Irish Med Council Rule Change for Americans?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doc sam

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I keep seeing ads in my journals from a locums company called locumotion about doing locums work in Ireland.

They've been running ads for about 6-8 months now that keep hinting at some big impending change in the licensing rules of the Irish Medical Council that will make it much easier for U.S. physicians to get licensed there.

I've tried to ask them about this, but have typically gotten sort of vague answers and all my googling of the the internet has been for naught.

Anyone on here have any insight into this???

Thanks,

Sam

Members don't see this ad.

You need full Irish Medical Council registration to be able to do locum work.

Up to now, you had to have done 6/12 medicine and 6/12 surgery as an Intern in an accredited programme in order to get Full Registration with the Medical Council.

The Council is governed by the Medical Practitioner's Act and a new version of this law was just passed. From now on, you will only have to have spent 3/12 in Medicine and 3/12 in Surgery (and the other 6/12 doing whatever specialty you like) in order to be fully registered. All Irish and British Internships and many Transitional Year programmes and Prelims in the States have the flexibility to allow you fulfill these requirements.