Irish General PRactitioner want to work in US

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Afsplace

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all

I'm an Irish GP (Family Physician). I'd like to work in US but I beleive I must get ECFMG first. Can anyone with experience in coming to the US from europe please give me some advice.

Cheers

Members don't see this ad.

Hmm, firstly, in order to get the ECFMG certificate, you'll have to take/pass USMLE Step 1, 2CK and 2CS. Have you done those? They take a significant amount of time to practice / study for.

Hmm, firstly, in order to get the ECFMG certificate, you'll have to take/pass USMLE Step 1, 2CK and 2CS. Have you done those? They take a significant amount of time to practice / study for.

Just for clarification: I thought that writing Step 1, 2cs and 2ck were only prerequisites for those who are considering residencies (training positions); not for those who are fully qualified for that field. I would have assumed that also you would have to contact the state college and state/national body for that specialty to see if your qualifications were deemed satisfactory for transfer to that state?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey there,
well, unfortunately, things aren't that easy. You can't practise in the US without being ECFMG certified, and the only way of getting certified is by sitting step 1, 2ck and 2cs. In order to practise independently, you also need step 3. I also think that you won't really get any acknowledgement for post-grad training done in Ireland - you'll actually have to repeat the residency in the US. Things might be different in General Practice though...
Here's a good web site outlining the different steps:
http://www.internationaldoc.com/

Thanks for the info ......
Having gotten in touch with a few residencies it seems that I do need to complete a full residency in Family Medicine. Better start studying

Cheers..