Ireland App Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

reeka15

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, I'm new to this. I'm a Canadian student in my final year of a BSc (honours) in neuroscience. I visited Dublin this past summer and absolutely fell in love with it and have decided to apply to medical school there through the ABP.
I have not writtern the MCAT, but contacted the head of the ABP and he assured me I did not need MCAT scores to apply to the 5 year programs at UCD or Trinity. (i questioned him on this several times and he assured me i did not).
anyway, I really am not sure about my chances. My GPA is a 3.93 (4.0 in science courses), i have a lot of extra cirricular activities (sports, etc), volunteer experience and I've received research grants for the past 2 summers.
I just want to know how much emphasis they place on everything... and if there is anything in particular that i should be sure to include in my application essay.
Thanks guys!

Members don't see this ad.

You sound like a good candidate :). Perhaps say exactly why you'd like to go to Dublin schools, and how you'll be an asset to them. Just try to paint the best picture of what you're like .. .

i went to UCD.

you'll be a strong candidate with those numbers.

you don't have to take the MCAT, but i can help.

also, you don't have to apply to the Irish schools through the Atlantic Bridge Program (essentially a private company thant makes $$$ by handling your app). you can apply directly to the schools of your choice.

good luck! ireland will be an amazing experience!

Members don't see this ad :)
just a quick question re: applying directly to the school.

how is it different from applying though the ABP? Do u have a better chance of getting in?

eiresurg said:
i went to UCD.

you'll be a strong candidate with those numbers.

you don't have to take the MCAT, but i can help.

also, you don't have to apply to the Irish schools through the Atlantic Bridge Program (essentially a private company thant makes $$$ by handling your app). you can apply directly to the schools of your choice.

good luck! ireland will be an amazing experience!

you bypass the ABP and pay less to actually apply.

you'll hear back from the schools directly rather than relying on ABP to communicate with you.

i used ABP when i applied. i never heard back from RCSI or Trinity. i was just told that i was accepted to UCD and so i took it. my suspicion is that ABP never submitted my app to RCSI or Trinity. i think it is merely a money making scam.

that's my 2cents, so take it for what it's worth. i may be completely wrong.

hmmm...interesting....But, what about interviews? If those are held in Ireland, then I don't think you save any money.

Or are the interviews in NY and San Fran by RCSI???

eiresurg said:
you bypass the ABP and pay less to actually apply.

you'll hear back from the schools directly rather than relying on ABP to communicate with you.

i used ABP when i applied. i never heard back from RCSI or Trinity. i was just told that i was accepted to UCD and so i took it. my suspicion is that ABP never submitted my app to RCSI or Trinity. i think it is merely a money making scam.

that's my 2cents, so take it for what it's worth. i may be completely wrong.

reeka15 said:
Hi guys, I'm new to this. I'm a Canadian student in my final year of a BSc (honours) in neuroscience. I visited Dublin this past summer and absolutely fell in love with it and have decided to apply to medical school there through the ABP.
I have not writtern the MCAT, but contacted the head of the ABP and he assured me I did not need MCAT scores to apply to the 5 year programs at UCD or Trinity. (i questioned him on this several times and he assured me i did not).
anyway, I really am not sure about my chances. My GPA is a 3.93 (4.0 in science courses), i have a lot of extra cirricular activities (sports, etc), volunteer experience and I've received research grants for the past 2 summers.
I just want to know how much emphasis they place on everything... and if there is anything in particular that i should be sure to include in my application essay.
Thanks guys!

Your GPA is so good, you could get into a Canadian medical school. If you want to practice medicine in Canada, go to a Canadian school. Take the MCAT.

An Irish school will get you a great education, but it is still difficult to come back to Canada. If you are okay with practicing medicine in the States then Ireland is an excellent choice.