Ireland-ABP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

deepr46hse

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I have been researching Irish medical schools through the Atlantic bridge program for quite some time. I have picked up so much invaluable information on all the schools involved from the many posts available on this site. Thanks guys for all the great info and keep it coming!

I was wondering lately, however, if I even have a chance in this program as I have heard that 2,000 people apply for only about 150-200 seats. I am about to graduate with a degree in human biology at the University of Kansas in the USA with a low GPA (should make it to 3.0 or a little lower when applying) but I have a great MCAT score (upper 30's). I also have published a few interesting clinical cases in a peer reviewed journal when I was interning at a local doctor's office. I am scared I won't even be looked at because of my horrible school record. Anywayz, just ranting a little, sorry, was just wondering what everyone thought.....

Members don't see this ad.

I wouldn't worry. if you have a really good MCAT, i think they may just overlook the GPA. After all , the MCAT is a good standardized test, so they obviously consider it more highly than the GPA, which can vary depending on which country, state, or province you come from.

If you have publications, that just adds to your application. I think if you applied you would have a very good chance of acceptance

deepr46hse said:
Hey everyone,

I have been researching Irish medical schools through the Atlantic bridge program for quite some time. I have picked up so much invaluable information on all the schools involved from the many posts available on this site. Thanks guys for all the great info and keep it coming!

I was wondering lately, however, if I even have a chance in this program as I have heard that 2,000 people apply for only about 150-200 seats. I am about to graduate with a degree in human biology at the University of Kansas in the USA with a low GPA (should make it to 3.0 or a little lower when applying) but I have a great MCAT score (upper 30's). I also have published a few interesting clinical cases in a peer reviewed journal when I was interning at a local doctor's office. I am scared I won't even be looked at because of my horrible school record. Anywayz, just ranting a little, sorry, was just wondering what everyone thought.....
If you have an MCAT score that is equal to or better then a 30 then you are in. I know people that have ended up in Ireland, more specifiaclly RCSI, that have had attrocious grades but great MCAT scores. It sounds like you will be fine.

Members don't see this ad :)
^ and I've got a friend who had both bad MCAT scores and grades, but still got in (into the 6 year program that is).

deepr46hse said:
Hey everyone,
University of Kansas in the USA

Be sure to include UCD in your list of applications.

UCD has a scholarship for several students to do clinical and research elevectives in summer of fifth year at one of the U of Kansas hospitals. You may want to talk to them when they come.

Best wishes