Ireland 2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GREGFOCKER

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Besides RCSI interviews, has anyone heard anything from any of the Irish schools? Im hoping we hear something soon, im starting to get pretty anxious. Good luck all

Members don't see this ad.

Still in early stages, according to ABP, even now.

I'm still bummed out that I didn't make first round on RCSI...

Members don't see this ad :)
how do you know you didnt make first round?

I got my acceptance to UCC two days ago, super excited. Second year applying, although first year outside Canada.
Still waiting from Trinity, UCD and RCSI...

Just got rejected from UCC...REALLY bummed out...Hopefully the other schools feel differently?

Hey destructo,

what were your stats, if you don't mind. I am curious as I am also waiting to hear back from UCC.

umm
GPA: 3.3 (of the 3 years so far)
MCAT: 11Bio 10Physical Sciences 10 verbal Writing Sample: P
whole buncha extra curriculars (i dont think they care too much)

SO the big day is coming up! St Patricks day!!! ( The day where most Irish schools send out their first offers) I am excited and worried. AHHHH!!! The wait is really killing me:oops:

Does anyone know when RCSI will start sending interviews for the next batch

I can't take the waiting... Can Tuesday come any slower? Is anyone else who has already interviewed starting to have a slight meltdown?

... some bad news. On a different forum i heard that they had an alarming amount of applicants this year... butting them behind schedual not to mention more competition for us.

Hey everyone good news for me I just got accepted to RCSI for a 4 year GEP. I got in with a 2.85 cGPA (3.1 science), 10 physics 11 verbal 12 biology Q writing MCAT, human biology major at University of Toronto. Apparently RCSI just mailed its acceptance packages and everyone will be receiving them within a few days.

Members don't see this ad :)
Congratulations! That's amazing news. I hope this means I'll be able to relax soon (for better or worse!)... Did they email you or did you just get a package by snail mail?

Congrats!!! any idea when they will start sending interviews for the late applications my email said some time in may. Maybe the other universities will take the hint and send theirs out too!!!

Congratulations! That's amazing news. I hope this means I'll be able to relax soon (for better or worse!)... Did they email you or did you just get a package by snail mail?

Thanks! Actually RCSI just sent all the acceptance packages to Atlantic Bridge. Atlantic Bridge mailed them out yesterday (snail mail), and everyone will receive them very shortly. The only reason I found out early was because the credit card I gave on my application was no longer valid, and they needed a new one to FedEx me my acceptance!

Hmmm... I wonder if UCD might start sending out acceptances for their 6 year program too!!! I haven't heard anyone say anything about UCD or UCG yet (acceptance or rejection) o well I guess I'm just going to have to tough it out and just wait it out!

So I got all the time in the world to wait right now... and it pretty much sucks. I guess I was hoping to get a reply sooner than expected but o well. At this point in time I just would want to know... so I could start planning (or demolish ideas) O well i guess we'll find out prob in the next week or so. Keep replying guys it keeps me alive!!!:D

Hey everyone good news for me I just got accepted to RCSI for a 4 year GEP. I got in with a 2.85 cGPA (3.1 science), 10 physics 11 verbal 12 biology Q writing MCAT, human biology major at University of Toronto. Apparently RCSI just mailed its acceptance packages and everyone will be receiving them within a few days.
Hi!

I was just accepted to the 4 year program at RCSI as well! Congratulations to you! If you don't mind my asking, are you going to accept the offer for sure? And have you looked into loans and housing? We should talk!

Anyone here going to the 5 year or 6 year program at RCSI?
starting this fall?
I wanna get to know people before I get there.

I am also doing the 5 year program

Last edited:
I was just accepted to the 5 yr program RCSI, would love to talk to anyone about where to live, Mercer? Kevdude, how old are you?

Just turned 20 in February.

Last edited:
Hey Kevdude, there are 3 of you in Vancouver, one UBC, are you all of them?

Im the ubc one with the two hockey players as the picture

Hey all,

I have not noticed on the thread that anyone got into TCD. I got my acceptance letter early April and I already paid my deposit. Has anyone else been accepted there? I will be starting Sept 2009.

MONS

Hi all,

I have created a facebook group for all 5 & 6yr RCSI students entering in Fall 2009. Join it here

Hey all,

I have not noticed on the thread that anyone got into TCD. I got my acceptance letter early April and I already paid my deposit. Has anyone else been accepted there? I will be starting Sept 2009.

MONS

Hey Mons, I was accepted early April and will be heading to TCD as well.

Hey Mons, I was accepted early April and will be heading to TCD as well.

Hey all,

MONS

hey mons and shaqfu, i am currently in tcd doing medicine; if there is any information you guys would like me to get for you just gimme a pm.

If I have the choice of going to either Galway or RCSI, which should I pick and please skip the common awnswer of money :p

Thanks guys (My interview was awesome btw)

RCSI does offer more help in getting placed into residency programs after graduating. More international connections and more recognizable name to foreigners.

RCSI does offer more help in getting placed into residency programs after graduating. More international connections and more recognizable name to foreigners.
I would beg to differ. It may get your foot into the door, but for Irish medicine like Canadian Medicine (as I can attest to only, not with our American residency counterparts) - get into an Irish school and in general you'll be already looked well upon. The rest is up to you, your application and interview. From what I have seen in other Ontario residency programs AND in regard to area staff - physicians/surgeons/GPs - (at Queen's where I am based and from what colleagues at other Ontario programs have to say) - there are more NUI (UCD/UCG/UCC) and Trinity representatives than Surgeons.

Fair enough if that is your experience, but I have never been met with a "where?" when I talk about RCSI. And the RCSI degree is officially a NUI degree. At least it always used to be.

Fair enough if that is your experience, but I have never been met with a "where?" when I talk about RCSI. And the RCSI degree is officially a NUI degree. At least it always used to be.

Come over to Queen's and that will be the case where Surgeons is hardly known. No current residents and no staff from there - about 4 GPs, 1 Canadian renowned internist/respirologist, 2 pediatricians, 1 recent/young staff anesthetist from UCC, 2 psychiatrists - a small, but close group of Irish staff - pretty much all of them had a grand party for us once they heard of my wife and I were to start our residencies in Kingston. Residents:3 Trinity grads, 2 UCD grads. Trenton has 2 Galway grads (radiology and GP) (down the road from Kingston).

Nonetheless, you will have a way better chance of getting back to Ontario if that is where you are from by going to an Irish school compared to other countries of origin.

I hope you have a great time over there and get back home soon ... and maybe I'll interview you for your resident interviews if you apply to Queen's FM in a few years time.

Good luck!:xf:

Just a quick FYI to those on an RCSI GEP waitlist - a spot will open up soon as my plans have changed and I will be staying in Canada next year. Good luck to everyone going to Ireland! I wish I could join you, but it's just too expensive for me... Have fun and best wishes!

I also just turned down my UCD acceptance as well. Have fun with this one. ;)

I also just turned down my UCD acceptance as well. Have fun with this one. ;)

I hope you got the course you wanted. If you don't mind my asking, what was the reason for your decision to turn down the UCD GEP?

Two reasons:
1. I think that SGU may have better prospects for me to go straight back to Canada, since going through the US system may be useful
2. I couldn't get the deposit money in on time. The admission offer got to me the day before the deposit's due. >.>

Hey all,

MONS

Hi, I also got into TCD in April, so im going to be starting September 2009:)

this is the first place i've seen other people who are going to TCD.

Is there a TCD forum anywhere for people starting in September?

General Question to all who got accepted to Irish med schools for 2009 class - what were your stats? GPA and MCAT? What other EC did you have that you found to be quite useful.

I'm trying to get a baseline comparison for myself, to gauge my competitiveness.

ME:

Commerce Grad, Queen's University, Kingston - Canada
GPA - 3.49
MCAT (06) - 29R
Work exp - Ran my own small business for two summers. Paid off all uni debts, etc. Currently part of Management Trainee program hired through competitive on-campus recruitment.

Want to get back to my roots. Science and small business are my passions, and 10 years from now, I would love to be running my own small family practice in urban/rural Ontario.

I'd like to hear all of your thoughts, please and thanks.

Cheers.

Anyone here going to the 5 year or 6 year program at RCSI?
starting this fall?
I wanna get to know people before I get there.
Hi, i am going to be in the 6 y. program. Where are you from?I am from Eastern Ontario.