Technology IRC Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mshheaddoc

Howdy
Moderator Emeritus
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I noticed that my username in chat was a link to my ISP of some sort b/c its showed my name and where I was connected from. Is there anyway I can hide this? I use GAIM and I couldn't find anything? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

mshheaddoc said:
I noticed that my username in chat was a link to my ISP of some sort b/c its showed my name and where I was connected from. Is there anyway I can hide this? I use GAIM and I couldn't find anything? Thanks!
No, take your man-stalking somewhere else. IRC is for cool people. :smuggrin:

Nah, IRC is very public and anyone can find out your IP address and hostname, etc. easily. The only way around it is to ask your nearest IRC nerd how to set up a fake hostname.

Dallenoff said:
No, take your man-stalking somewhere else. IRC is for cool people. :smuggrin:

Nah, IRC is very public and anyone can find out your IP address and hostname, etc. easily. The only way around it is to ask your nearest IRC nerd how to set up a fake hostname.

Wait ... so are you inferring that I want to keep my name anonymous b/c I stalk men? Also, how would that NOT make me cool? :cool:

I guess you aren't an IRC nerd ... I just dont like having my "NAME" on there and I have NO idea how to get it off ... I wonder if its b/c of my profile name on XP ... hmmm ....

Members don't see this ad :)
mshheaddoc said:
Wait ... so are you inferring that I want to keep my name anonymous b/c I stalk men? Also, how would that NOT make me cool? :cool:

I guess you aren't an IRC nerd ... I just dont like having my "NAME" on there and I have NO idea how to get it off ... I wonder if its b/c of my profile name on XP ... hmmm ....
Oh you mean your real name (human name) and not computer hostname? I thought you were referring to something like [email protected]h (just as an example)...

but your real name is showing up? Yes, you can definitely change that! Sorry I misunderstood. Maybe I am a nerd. :laugh:

Dallenoff said:
Oh you mean your real name (human name) and not computer hostname? I thought you were referring to something like [email protected]h (just as an example)...

but your real name is showing up? Yes, you can definitely change that! Sorry I misunderstood. Maybe I am a nerd. :laugh:
no .... my actually address ... [email protected]ast............

shows up.
I have MIRC as well but since GAIM also allows you to tie in IRC i use it too. I noticed this on MIRC as well :(

mshheaddoc said:
no .... my actually address ... [email protected]ast............

shows up.
I have MIRC as well but since GAIM also allows you to tie in IRC i use it too. I noticed this on MIRC as well :(
No, no way around that unless you get a fake hostname. I think they're called hostname masks or something. Most of them are just for humor.

The only want to change that kind of stuff is to ask an administrator or someone with the config file access to add a special line in the actual config file. Basically, the chances of that happening are slim to none unless you're friends with said admin/etc.

On the other hand, some IRC networks hide EVERYONE'S host mask by default... however, they are tons of ways to get around that.

That's why I always suggest to newbie users to get some sort of "shell" account ... one that does not display your dialup/cable/DSL hostname, but rather the remote server you're connecting to. Another route is to IRC through a proxy server... which thereby changes your hostname. Or you can just stick to AOL IM ;)

mshheaddoc said:
:( Oh well ... Thanks for the input guys ... i was just planning on using for studentdoctor chat anyways ... oh well
Why so concerned about giving away your hostname? It may give away your state or even your city, but that's about it.

SDN chat is where it's at. :p