IRA rollover question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted343839

I am overdue rolling over a 403(b) from a prior employer into an IRA. I've decided to invest in a blend of market index ETFs and bond ETFs (all Vanguard). My 403(b) is not with Vanguard. Two part question: (1) is there any advantage to actually moving my account over to Vanguard, and (2) if so, would you agree it's less hassle to first rollover to an IRA with my current broker and transfer to Vanguard, rather than rollover my 403(b) into a Vanguard IRA?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

If you want Vanguard funds use Vanguard. The biggest consideration is what your tax bracket is whether you should eventually convert to Roth. If you are doing backdoor Roth IRAs then it might be better for you to move that 401k to your current employer or to a solo 401k. You may not want traditional IRA if you are in a high income tax bracket as you would be taxed on your traditional IRA balance as of 12/31/19 if you are converting a traditional IRA to Roth IRA (backdoor Roth). If you are in a low income tax bracket then you can consider converting that 401k to Roth IRA and pay the taxes on it now. You didn't mention if any of that 401k money was pre vs post tax/Roth.